Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RR World Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Update on the Irish:

Women's Junior ITT (46 riders):
    Lara Gillespie 19th @1:12

Men's U23 ITT (70 riders):
    Michael O'Loughlin 25th @1:28
    Conn McDunphy 38th @2:06

Men's Junior ITT (71 riders):
    Ben Healy 14th @2:49
    Aaron Doherty 46th @4:39

Women's Elite ITT is on at the moment. Eileen Burns and Kelly Murphy participating. Live coverage on Eurosport1

Van der Breggen is on a serious charge. Has to be one of my favorites male or female to watch on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

some going from the dutch

Women's Elite ITT (52 riders):
    Eileen Burns 33rd @4:19
    Kelly Murphy 41st @5:11

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

18 years old. Won the Junior TT by such a margin that he had time to start celebrating before crossing the finish line. 34 victories out 44 races over the past 18 months. Move straight to Quick Step. Do not pass Go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

18 years old. Won the Junior TT by such a margin that he had time to start celebrating before crossing the finish line. 34 victories out 44 races over the past 18 months. Move straight to Quick Step. Do not pass Go.

Or Team SLy Sky ?

Or is he too good for their 'marginal gains' system to work ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

greenspurs wrote: »
    Or Team SLy Sky ?

Or is he too good for their 'marginal gains' system to work ?

Suppose you will also be questioning Eddie Dunbar because he landed at SKY by winning races exactly how this Belgian lad wins races? Redirect to my twitter post last night on Dunbars rise to the pro ranks. Some riders are just purely talented at every level. Its the ones who didnt do it at underage and junior level and suddenly spring to greatness are ones to be wary of.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No, he’s already signed for Quick Step

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Suppose you will also be questioning Eddie Dunbar because he landed at SKY by winning races exactly how this Belgian lad wins races? Redirect to my twitter post last night on Dunbars rise to the pro ranks. Some riders are just purely talented at every level. Its the ones who didnt do it at underage and junior level and suddenly spring to greatness are ones to be wary of.

He is on a different level to Dunbar !
    He has won almost every race he has been in this year.
    And going back to when Dunbar was the same age as Evenepoel , no comparison either.
    The boy is the greatest Young rider ever ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Yeah, in terms of results he's certainly one of the most promising juniors we've ever seen come through. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the next Merckx. Some lads keep improving and some plateau at a young age, which is why I'm sure he's trying to manage expectations. Belgium is cycling mad and you can only imagine the weight of the hype already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's a big jump in level, talented though he is and a big pressure on a very young body, training and racing load wise.
    He does say in the interview that he's not going to race much and race shorter races at least, that's something I guess.
    It's the mental side too that's key, whether he can take the training needed for the next level- he talks about being a normal guy, having fun, eating crap food. All the normal things for a young person!
    I hope he gets looked after I guess is what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The men's Time Trial is Dumoulin v Dennis as far as the bookies go, 4/6 and 13/10 respectively with the bookies. Could make for some good viewing later this afternoon! Its a one way route, so potentially a drastic shift in the weather could throw up a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Inquitus wrote: »
    The men's Time Trial is Dumoulin v Dennis as far as the bookies go, 4/6 and 13/10 respectively with the bookies. Could make for some good viewing later this afternoon! Its a one way route, so potentially a drastic shift in the weather could throw up a surprise.

Race for the bronze will be interesting with Castero ,Kelderman ,Kiry , Kwaito all possibles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Yeah, in terms of results he's certainly one of the most promising juniors we've ever seen come through. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the next Merckx. Some lads keep improving and some plateau at a young age, which is why I'm sure he's trying to manage expectations. Belgium is cycling mad and you can only imagine the weight of the hype already

Yeah...remember Cunago andlook at Quintana now

And I do think the hype around Eddie Dunbar is too much.....I think we shoudl leave him alone and let him develop as he will

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Race for the bronze will be interesting with Castero ,Kelderman ,Kiry , Kwaito all possibles

Don't forget Victor Campenaerts either! He should be fresh since Lotto Soudal didn't enter the TTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

greenspurs wrote: »
    He is on a different level to Dunbar !
    He has won almost every race he has been in this year.
    And going back to when Dunbar was the same age as Evenepoel , no comparison either.
    The boy is the greatest Young rider ever ??

should go to a different thread on this but what you're saying and what i'm saying are 2 completely different things. your team sky comment/marginal gains/my eddie dunbar joining SKY. i'm not comparing riders

Live TV coverage starts at 1pm on Eurosport1

world-championship-itt-2018-result-profile-4f2ed132af.pngworld-championship-itt-2018-result-map-024e9489dc.png

Selected start times (Irish time):

1. Wilco Kelderman (Netherlands) 13:10:00
    15. Nicolas Roche (Ireland) 13:31:00
    20. Tao Geoghegan Hart (Great Britain) 13:38:30
    24. Maximilian Schachmann (Germany) 13:44:30
    25. Maciej Bodnar (Poland) 13:46:00
    28. Jos van Emden (Netherlands) 13:50:30
    43. Ryan Mullen (Ireland) 15:13:00
    50. Bob Jungels (Luxembourg) 14:23:30
    51. Alex Dowsett (Great Britain) 14:25:00
    53. Stefan Kung (Switzerland) 14:28:00
    54. Nelson Oliveira (Portugal) 14:29:30
    55. Tony Martin (Germany) 14:31:00
    56. Michal Kwiatkowski (Poland) 14:32:30
    57. Victor Campenaerts (Belgium) 14:34:00
    58. Vasil Kiryienka (Belarus) 14:35:30
    59. Jonathan Castroviejo (Spain) 14:37:00
    60. Rohan Dennis (Australia) 14:38:30
    61. Tom Dumoulin (Netherlands) 14:40:00

Full start list and times here.

Nico is 3rd fastest as he goes through the first intermediate check point after 16.6 km.

24 riders have gone through intermediate check point #1 so far.

Martin Toft Madsen has set a fast time, it might be a while before it is bettered.

Nico is ranked 9th.

Ryan Mullen has just started. The climb will be his undoing. In a pre-race interview he said he weighs 82 kg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ryan Mullen has just started. The climb will be his undoing. In a pre-race interview he said he weighs 82 kg!

Aye 5km at 7% while carrying the weight of an extra bike and a half over Dumoulin is not going to be pretty!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye 5km at 7% while carrying the weight of an extra bike and a half over Dumoulin is not going to be pretty!

He was 84kg in the Giro so he has in fact toned up a bit. He was getting "humourous" abuse on twitter for being a fattie. I thought he was the only healthy looking one there. He does good ITTs so will be interesting to see.

Ronan Dennis sets new fastest time at inter #1. Only Big Tom to come

Ryan Mullen in 18th

Everyone has gone through intermediate check point #1

1. DENNIS Rohan AUS 17:58.95
    2. DUMOULIN Tom NED +8.84
    3. MARTIN Tony GER +14.74
    4. CAMPENAERTS Victor BEL +15.29
    5. KIRYIENKA Vasil BLR +29.97

It could all change after the climb!

Mullen has lost a bucket load of time on the climb (as expected).

Mullen was about 12 seconds slower than Madsen after time check #1.

He's almost 3 minutes behind Madsen after time check #2!

Nico gained about a minute and a half over Mullen between #1 and #2 time checks

Dennis going like a train. Over taking castroviejo

Wow! :eek:

Dennis has caught Castroviejo after 32 km!

Dennis is annihilating everyone!!

• Advertisement

Everyone has gone through intermediate check point #2

1. DENNIS Rohan AUS 45:22.14
    2. DUMOULIN Tom NED +1:01.73 :eek: :eek:
    3. CAMPENAERTS Victor BEL +1:12.24
    4. KWIATKOWSKI Michal POL +1:43.39
    5. CASTROVIEJO Jonathan SPA +1:58.78

Advertisement