Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Remember, the people involved in this are low life scum.

Unemployable waste of space.

They scam the taxpayers out of hundreds of euro every week because they think they have a right not to seek gainful employment or contribute to society.

As they believe they are a law upon themselves, they think nothing of harassing anyone that does not agree with their effed up thinking and would have no issue in putting images and personal details online of anyone getting in their way.

Hence it is quite correct for those imposing high court ruling to prevent these scum from making personal attacks on these people.

Personally I think the Gardai should have gone in with full riot gear and beaten the sh1t out of these Unemployable scum. Thats how it would be done in other countries

Some are even worse than that. They go to Trinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

cursai wrote: »
    Anybody have any links to videos of the lads getting knocked about by the Gardai. I like watching videos of pimple popping.

I doubt there is any. The guys inside left peacefully and the public order stemmed from some outside. You can guarantee if there were videos to make the Gardai look bad it would be all over the place.

The fact the biggest gripe is about an untaxed van and headwear says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Paul Murphy must have been extremely disappointed that a miniscule number turned out for his protest.

Seems he was hoping for a couple of thousand, but barely got a couple of hundred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

If anyone is interested in the conspiracy theorist nonsense-world a lot of these protesters come from, there are threads on this site on Identity Ireland/Joe Doocey/Stephen Manning, United People/Jeff Rudd (formerly Biggins of this parish), and of course the Freeman Megamerge thread.

Have a browse and be awe-struck by the stupidity and warped world-views in evidence.

And that's before we even get into true believers in the holy faith of Marxism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Paul Murphy must have been extremely disappointed that a miniscule number turned out for his protest.

Seems he was hoping for a couple of thousand, but barely got a couple of hundred.

It wasn't a planned protest. People turned up when the eviction started. A few hundred. An actual protest is being planned will be a big one I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

These two people interviewed on the Tonight show, they are not homeless, where do they get the time to occupy these buildings, are they students, are they on the dole?
    would be interesting to know.

These two people interviewed on the Tonight show, they are not homeless, where do they get the time to occupy these buildings, are they students, are they on the dole?
    would be interesting to know.

You can work full time and still not be able to afford somewhere to live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

J_E wrote: »
    And what of this private group in the unregistered van, so?

The private group were not acting illegally. The van is registered, reg plate on rear, and there is no proof to back up the tax, etc claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Why would you realise what I do in my professional career, as I have never discussed it in all my years of posting.

Anyway, clapped out means well worn/ used in other words it's seen better days.

I may or may not be a mechanic, it's irrelevant, I seen the pictures of the van.

20180912_224009.jpg

I stand over my opinion.

I would like to point out that there are several agencies in Ireland that use secondhand UK reg vehicles.

I can't go into details but I once witnessed it daily. The van may have been seized in the past and is now being reused. It happens.

• Advertisement

Coppinger on Tonight there now "I wouldn't have the right to vote if people hadn't broken the law" Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Iodine1 wrote: »
    The private group were not acting illegally. The van is registered, reg plate on rear, and there is no proof to back up the tax, etc claims.

Parked illegally. No front reg on show. Back reg is UK. Doesn't raise any questions for you? Really?
    Coppinger on Tonight there now "I wouldn't have the right to vote if people hadn't broken the law" Jesus wept.

Civil disobedience is creating a serious discussion and awareness on housing in Dublin - is that not a good thing for all of us at the end of the day?

So private property and people squating in it , and up roar over how they were evicted , regardless of the homeless crisis they had no right to be there , nothing to see here aa far as i can see or am i missing something ?

If somebody took ur car cause they didnt have a car would you just leave it ? Fook no you wouldnt

No, that's not why people are in uproar. You are missing a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

So private property and people squating in it , and up roar over how they were evicted , regardless of the homeless crisis they had no right to be there , nothing to see here aa far as i can see or am i missing something ?

If somebody took ur car cause they didnt have a car would you just leave it ? Fook no you wouldnt

It's true.
    The women's suffragette movement broke the law and protested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

20Cent wrote: »
    You can work full time and still not be able to afford somewhere to live in Dublin.

Very aware of that, what is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Coppinger getting rinsed in the tonight show.

I’m elected to break the law she said, oh dear.

• Advertisement

It's true.
    The women's suffragette movement broke the law and protested.

They were wrongly denied the vote, amongst other things, by law.

The people who entered the private premises are legally not denied housing, apart from housing that's not theirs obviously.

Very aware of that, what is your point?

That the crisis is at boiling point something has to give. Also being homeless doesn't equal being lazy or unemployed.

Hurrache wrote: »
    They were wrongly denied the vote, amongst other things, by law.

The people who entered the private premises are legally not denied housing, apart from housing that's not theirs obviously.

Sometimes laws need to be broken for the greater good is her point. This is true a lot of our freedoms come from people breaking the law.

According to the 2017 property tax statistics about 67% of properties in Fingal were in the valuation bands below €250,000. Everything depending on salary of course, but many full time workers could enter that market. Those living there already would include some workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That the crisis is at boiling point something has to give. Also being homeless doesn't equal being lazy or unemployed.

Unfortunately when the likes of Margaret Cash are your poster boys/girls, then it will be equated to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Given that people are complaining about double yellow lines and posting conspiracy theories on twitter about English police being involved I'm going to assume the guards did all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I doubt there is any. The guys inside left peacefully and the public order stemmed from some outside. You can guarantee if there were videos to make the Gardai look bad it would be all over the place.

The fact the biggest gripe is about an untaxed van and headwear says it all.

Ah nuts!!!
    Did the van at least drive over the scrotes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In fact that is a lie.

How so

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

How so

I read the real facts on the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Samsong

Its a complete crisis now. The traffic into dublin every morning starting back at naas shows how many are travelling to the capital to work.
    why previous governments didnt build upwards in our capital city especially is unbelievably short sighted. Our bed has been made now we must sleep in it.

The protests are serving a purpose as its keeping the issue highlighted as the shortage affects us or people we know. The way it was handled is truly Irish though. A rusty van with balaclava wearing heavies with the riot squad on site to keep the peace. But those protesters were on private property and had a court order to get out.
    What a **** show of a country

According to the 2017 property tax statistics about 67% of properties in Fingal were in the valuation bands below €250,000. Everything depending on salary of course, but many full time workers could enter that market. Those living there already would include some workers.

There aren't enough houses for sale even if you could afford it. Population growth plus lack of building. The turnover of stock is way below that of healthy market.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately when the likes of Margaret Cash are your poster boys/girls, then it will be equated to that.

Never heard of her.
    It's not about one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Parked illegally. No front reg on show. Back reg is UK. Doesn't raise any questions for you? Really?
    Van is registered, thank you for admitting same. Parked illegally for a short time? There are clampers to implement that law. And no I cant see what question I would be missing here, its not illegal to drive uk vehicles here or for uk residents to work here legally.

Civil disobedience is creating a serious discussion and awareness on housing in Dublin - is that not a good thing for all of us at the end of the day?

Law breaking just because people feel like it is wrong and will not add a single dwelling, and neither will Coppinger with her "against everything" attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I read the real facts on the thread.

And?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Van is registered, thank you for admitting same. Parked illegally for a short time? There are clampers to implement that law. And no I cant see what question I would be missing here, its not illegal to drive uk vehicles here or for uk residents to work here legally.

Law breaking just because people feel like it is wrong and will not add a single dwelling, and neither will Coppinger with her "against everything" attitude.

That maybe so but do you not see the problem in front of your nose?
    There is a housing shortage. People are stuck renting paying crazy money.People are living in hotels and on the street. Nothing is being done. Ignore coppinger , the protesters and the police and look at the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Samsong wrote: »
    Its a complete crisis now. The traffic into dublin every morning starting back at naas shows how many are travelling to the capital to work.
    why previous governments didnt build upwards in our capital city especially is unbelievably short sighted. Our bed has been made now we must sleep in it.

The protests are serving a purpose as its keeping the issue highlighted as the shortage affects us or people we know. The way it was handled is truly Irish though. A rusty van with balaclava wearing heavies with the riot squad on site to keep the peace. But those protesters were on private property and had a court order to get out.
    What a **** show of a country

The political parties behind the protests - SF and PBP - are the same ones that are running DCC and preventing the implementation of a high-rise policy. Only in Ireland could they get away with that kind of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Can we all stop bickering and focus at the main issue at hand. A van didn't have tax and insurance displayed. And to make matters worse it was missing its reg on the front. Clearly law and order has broken down and marshal law should be declared. What were we talking about again. I have a gut feeling that it may have had a bald tire also. Please for the love of god can we just focus on the van. All the other issues are a sideshow.

And?

You can read them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

while voicing your concerns of how the states police were seemingly hired to facilitate some anonymous masked goons.

Where was the "States police " hired ,

By all accounts they attended what could have been an eviction which could have turned nasty considering all the social media waffles about it ,

They did their duty and kept the peace which is what they are paid to do

blanch152 wrote: »
    The political parties behind the protests - SF and PBP - are the same ones that are running DCC and preventing the implementation of a high-rise policy. Only in Ireland could they get away with that kind of hypocrisy.

If that is true then they should be ignored. That is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

It wasn't a planned protest. People turned up when the eviction started. A few hundred. An actual protest is being planned will be a big one I reckon.

It was very well flagged and promoted for an "unplanned" protest and a very poor turnout.

It was very well flagged and promoted for an "unplanned" protest and a very poor turnout.

The protest started because the eviction started. Hundreds turned up to something that wasn't intended or planned in advance.

The protest started because the eviction started. Hundreds turned up to something that wasn't intended or planned in advance.

Yeah court issued eviction notices don't have dates. They had no idea when the authorities would show up.

Was the eviction not yesterday and the protest today?

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm surprised no one asks this question more often.

How many county councillors and planners are landlords who have no personal interest in increasing supply dramatically?

We could have built 30 storey + buildings all over the docklands with ample apartments over the last 10 years. Many developers have tried down the years.

Ask yourself this...

Do you really believe the primary concern is Dublin's beautiful skyline being ruined?

blanch152 wrote: »

South Dublin County Council, with a mayor and deputy mayor from Sinn Fein, with the rest of the council being https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/our-council/councillors/ only this week decided to reduce the property tax by the full 15% allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Renua rep done well on the tonight show definitely has my attention.

Remus rep done well on the tonight show definitely has my attention.

Remus?

Never heard of her.
    It's not about one person.

You're interested in the homelessness crisis yet don't know who Margaret Cash is?
    Seriously?

Do you live in Ireland?
    Do you watch or read any news at all?

I'm surprised no one asks this question more often.

How many county councillors and planners are landlords who have no personal interest in increasing supply dramatically?he worst person to have as your boss

We could have built 30 storey + buildings all over the docklands with ample apartments over the last 10 years. Many developers have tried down the years.

Ask yourself this...

Do you really believe the primary concern is Dublin's beautiful skyline being ruined?

The paddy is the worst person to have as your boss. He will work you hard and take advantage whenever possible.

I heard this or something similar from fellow irishmen when i used live and work abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

South Dublin County Council, with a mayor and deputy mayor from Sinn Fein, with the rest of the council being https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/our-council/councillors/ only this week decided to reduce the property tax by the full 15% allowed.

Some of the most valuable property in the country under their remit, and the same hypocrites will have the gall to whine about a lack of funds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The paddy is the worst person to have as your boss. He will work you hard and take advantage whenever possible.

I heard this or something similar from fellow irishmen when i used live and work abroad.
    Kinda lacking self awareness when they are also "paddys".

I completely agree that there are disgustingly greedy landlords. Not sure why the government are to blame for them. The government are responsible for drafting legislation for sure, but these things take time unfortunately.
    Are you fúcking kidding me?

"These things take time", the crisis has been ongoing for four years now, and was well flagged. Fine Gael have been in office continuously for seven years.

The Government isn't simply responsible for "drafting legislation", it's responsible for gathering up all the money that you and i work hard to give to them, and deciding how to spend it. You'd think that the provision of stable, long-term shelter for 3,000 homeless children would be a greater priority than an annual fiver for every pensioner in the audience, but, VOTES.

It's not in fairness - I prefer privileged people caring about those who are less privileged, than being rotten snobs. But what I don't agree with is privileged people pretending they are working-class and lecturing middle-class people.
    Nobody is lecturing middle class people. I'm middle class like most people on this thread, and nobody is lecturing me -- in fact, all I see among my friends and relations is a genuine struggle to find affordable property to buy (for family purposes), or to rent, in Dublin.

Do you genuinely not see how this crisis is also affecting middle class people, especially those under the age of 40?

Kinda lacking self awareness when they are also "paddys".

Not really.

Four of the people evicted were hospitalised due to injuries suffered during the eviction. Assault by masked men protected by the Gardai, a sinister thing to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement