Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What ever way you look at it its embarrassing for the Garda and new commissioner, 
    Obviously they knew this was going to take place as they where there to support ,So surely they knew that it would generate public interest by the amount of people involved  on the scene , the way they where dressed and the time of day , 
    So how in gods name did they let a Van with English reg's and no tax be involved, Its very unprofessional of them ,
    bubblypop wrote: »
    What is the law in this country that covers foreign registered vehicles being used here?
    Do you know?

Why does anybody care about a fúcking van? It doesn't matter what anyone turned up in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Roll on the next eviction. It's great fun.
    Maybe they could sell tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What ever way you look at it its embarrassing for the Garda and new commissioner, 
    Obviously they knew this was going to take place as they where there to support ,So surely they knew that it would generate public interest by the amount of people involved  on the scene , the way they where dressed and the time of day , 
    So how in gods name did they let a Van with English reg's and no tax be involved, Its very unprofessional of them ,
    What is the law in this country that covers foreign registered vehicles being used here?  
    Do you know?

Why does anybody care about a fúcking van? It doesn't matter what anyone turned up in.
    The Garda as suppose do things correctly, To be involved in a situation with and untaxed foreign  vehicle is very unprofessional ,Even more so with the links the stories doing the rounds about there new boss being Mi5, 
    Whatever way you want to put it is very very unprofessional

Well to allow an non Taxed one be involved when the Garda there with all the speculation about the new commissioner is very unprofessional , Many many Irish citizen have had cars impounded for such an offence,

Irish citizens driving a foreign registered vehicle, is very different to a non Irish citizen having a foreign registered vehicle here for a short amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Well to allow an non Taxed one be involved when the Garda there with all the speculation about the new commissioner is very unprofessional , Many many Irish citizen have had cars impounded for such an offence,

It’s been explained repeatedly on these thread that UK reg vehicles don’t need tax disc displayed. Have you proof this van wasn’t taxed.

Thinking that this incident has something to do with the Commissioner and his previous role with the PSNI would be more suited to the Conspiracy Theories forum than AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

were the people in the van irish citizens? if not then your point is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If these Frederick Crusties went out, got jobs and paid a bit of tax into the public coffers rather than wasting State resources with their bullsh;ttery, we'd have a better chance of solving the so called 'housing crisis'.

Bunch of wasters the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Irish citizens driving a foreign registered vehicle, is very different to a non Irish citizen having a foreign registered vehicle here for a short amount of time.

That's not forgetting that AGS have already clarified that the van was taxed and insured. Crusties seem to be just ignoring that.

It’s been explained repeatedly on these thread that UK reg vehicles don’t need tax disc displayed. Have you proof this van wasn’t taxed.

Thinking that this incident has something to do with the Commissioner and his previous role with the PSNI would be more suited to the Conspiracy Theories forum than AH.

I think even they might balk a bit at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

seems as though a lot of people on here would have a major bone to pick with the Garda Commissioner, who has said that wearing balaclavas in this instance was 'not correct'.

https://www.newstalk.com/Garda-Commissioner-admits-use-of-balaclavas-at-Dublin-housing-protest-was-not-correct

Awkward. All the cop fetishists and landlord boot-lickers who defended the use of balaclavas will now have to find a way of agreeing with Drew Harris OBE that the Gardai shouldn't have worn balaclavas, whilst somehow insisting that their previous incorrect assertions were equally correct. Nightmare.

Awkward. All the cop fetishists and landlord boot-lickers who defended the use of balaclavas will now have to find a way of agreeing with Drew Harris OBE that the Gardai shouldn't have worn balaclavas, whilst somehow insisting that their previous incorrect assertions were equally correct. Nightmare.

His issue is that they were not wearing helmets with the balaclavas, not with the wearing of balaclavas. Of course if they had worn helmets as well you would be giving out about that as well. Given some of the rabid dogs these protests attract i cant blame them for wearing balaclavas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Even Leo said he didn't like to see masked security, but sure what would a crusty like him know, he should go out and get a real job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He never said that, he said that if they were wearing them, they should have been wearing their helmets too.

"if it deemed necessary to use the hood then it should be used in tandem with a protective helmet."

blackwhite wrote: »
    Trying to extrapolate that into some blood-lust fetish says a hell of a lot more about you than anything else. But I guess it's easier for you to make stuff ...
    I'm not making it up.

There is no shortage of odd characters on this thread who seem to have a hard-on for policemen wielding truncheons.
    They need to smash fcuk out of any junkie/scumbag/burglar/pikey type who steps out of line.
    Long overdue.
    cursai wrote: »
    I hope the poor Gardai on duty are wearing gloves when they scrape their heads off the pavement.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Well you can't blame People getting aroused at the thought of a truncheon bouncing off Rich Boy Barrett head.
    oh for a govt that would baton these jobless wonders off the road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The article never says that. It says they shouldn't have worn it without a helmet.
    "However, the form of dress used at the event was not correct as it is policy that if it deemed necessary to use the hood then it should be used in tandem with a protective helmet. A directive has issued today from Deputy Commissioner, Policing & Security, to re-enforce this requirement to all personnel."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'm not making it up.

There is no shortage of odd characters on this thread who seem to have a hard-on for policemen wielding truncheons.

You quite deliberately descended to the personal slur to imply I was someone calling for violence - and don't even have the decency to apologise for it. Not sure why I was expecting any common decency TBH - giving you've spend the better part of 2 days on this thread defending people who assault and racially abuse gardaí.

His issue is that they were not wearing helmets with the balaclavas, not with the wearing of balaclavas. Of course if they had worn helmets as well you would be giving out about that as well. Given some of the rabid dogs these protests attract i cant blame them for wearing balaclavas.
    He never said that, he said that if they were wearing them, they should have been wearing their helmets too.

"if it deemed necessary to use the hood then it should be used in tandem with a protective helmet."
    The article never says that. It says they shouldn't have worn it without a helmet.

Jesus, what is this? The Garda press office?

I bet you all cried when The Bill was axed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If that the best response you can come up with when called out for posting lies I guess it'll have to do :pac:

You misquoted what was said and were corrected. Live with it. And the Bill was never the same after Reg Hollis left.

Was more into Ballykissangel myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm not making it up.

Seems there is also no shortage of odd characters on this thread who seem to have a hard-on for physical and verbal abuse including racial abuse.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0913/993548-north-frederick-street/

I suppose a non-Caucasian garda is fair game for de lads in de protest.

"Drew Harris said in a statement this afternoon that the officers showed restraint in the face of physical and verbal abuse from a small minority and condemned what he described as the racist abuse suffered by one garda working at the event."

blackwhite wrote: »
    If that the best response you can come up with when called out for posting lies I guess it'll have to do :pac:

"if it [is] deemed necessary to use the hood then it should be used in tandem with a protective helmet."

If procedure dictates the wearing of a balaclava only under a helmet (which makes sense because without the helmet, which has a visor that covers the eyes, the fire-protective balaclava is largely useless), were your heroes not breaking the rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

You misquoted what was said and were corrected. Live with it.
    Reminds me of a middle-class teenager pretending to be "ghetto" and spray painting "fuk da law" on a wall.

Reminds me of a middle-class teenager pretending to be "ghetto" and spray painting "fuk da law" on a wall.

In my day it was A.C.A.B. I dont think i've seen that in years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

"if it [is] deemed necessary to use the hood then it should be used in tandem with a protective helmet."

If procedure dictates the wearing of a balaclava only under a helmet (which makes sense because without the helmet, which has a visor that covers the eyes, the fire-protective balaclava is largely useless), were your heroes not breaking the rules?
    Was just thinking this myself, the point of the 'fire retardant hood' is not to obscure identity but for personal protection, which was not deemed necessary in this case since they didn't done the helmets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Embarrassing :o

Was just thinking this myself, the point of the 'fire retardant hood' is not to obscure identity but for personal protection, which was not deemed necessary in this case since they didn't done the helmets

If they were genuinely concerned that a peaceful protester might lob a petrol bomb at them, you'd think they might have considered protecting their eyes.

If they were genuinely concerned that a peaceful protester might lob a petrol bomb at them, you'd think they might have considered protecting their eyes.

they were probably more concerned that the delightful people who were physically and verbally abusing (and racially abusing one of them) would make them a target for further abuse down the line. and i cant say i blame them.

they were probably more concerned that the delightful people who were physically and verbally abusing (and racially abusing one of them) would make them a target for further abuse down the line. and i cant say i blame them.

That's not what their fire-resistant clothing is for. I thought you guys cared about The Rules.

What was the racist abuse?

• Advertisement

What was the racist abuse?

No idea what was said. It was mentioned in the article that has been quoted over the last page or two.

That's not what their fire-resistant clothing is for. I thought you guys cared about The Rules.

As should everyone. they should have put their helmets on as well. Really give you something to moan about.

As should everyone. they should have put their helmets on as well. Really give you something to moan about.

Had they arrived wearing helmets, I'm sure we can all agree that they would have been overdressed for the occasion, but at least there would have been some logic to it.

No idea what was said. It was mentioned in the article that has been quoted over the last page or two.
    If a protestor claimed on this occasion that a Garda had racially abused them, would you believe it and repeat it as fact?

Tax disks were abolished in Uk in 2014. Insurance disks were never used.

Tax disks were abolished in Uk in 2014. Insurance disks were never used.
    So whats your point ? 
    The vehicle was not Tax'd , a quick check on line anyone can do will give you the answer , Takes about 30 seconds depending on your coverage :)

If a protestor claimed on this occasion that a Garda had racially abused them, would you believe it and repeat it as fact?

so your immediate reaction is to dismiss the claim of racial abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

These types are very active on social media. Of course the guards had to protect their identity.

Would anyone here want to have their families targeted by this mob?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ridiculous exaggeration.

It's an accurate description of events.

• Advertisement

Had they arrived wearing helmets, I'm sure we can all agree that they would have been overdressed for the occasion, but at least there would have been some logic to it.

I cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,518 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

So whats your point ? 
    The vehicle was not Tax'd , a quick check on line anyone can do will give you the answer , Takes about 30 seconds depending on your coverage :)

Who cares if it was taxed or what the thread depth of the tyres are, it has nothing to do with this conversation and adding nothing constructive to it.

so your immediate reaction is to dismiss the claim of racial abuse?
    Absolutely not.

I'm skeptical about the claims made by the protestors, and cognisant of the fact that these were very left wing activists, I'm equally skeptical of certain claims made by Gardaí; it's rarely a good idea to swallow whole anything that is told to you.

How about you? I guess you would have believed the protestors if they had said this? No question?

I cant.

You think they were under-dressed then, and should have been properly equipped to deal with getting a petrol bomb to the face?

You think they were under-dressed then, and should have been properly equipped to deal with getting a petrol bomb to the face?

well no. that is not what i think. I think they were correct to wear balaclavas and if regulations say they need to wear helmets with them then they should have worn helmets.

john4321 wrote: »
    Who cares if it was taxed or what the thread depth of the tyres are, it has nothing to do with this conversation and adding nothing constructive to it.
    Except that the issues mentioned above are criminal matters, to be enforced by Gardaí, and an eviction is (what's that phrase the Civil Authority is so famous for ..?) "a civil matter".

• Advertisement

Except that the issues mentioned above are criminal matters, to be enforced by Gardaí, and an eviction is (what's that phrase the civil authority are so famous for ..?) "a civil matter".

the gardai were there to prevent public disorder which is a criminal matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,518 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Except that the issues mentioned above are criminal matters, to be enforced by Gardaí, and an eviction is (what's that phrase the Civil Authority is so famous for ..?) "a civil matter".

What did the Guards say when you reported it? No point bringing it up here.

Absolutely not.

I'm skeptical about the claims made by the protestors, and cognisant of the fact that these were very left wing activists, I'm equally skeptical of certain claims made by Gardaí; it's rarely a good idea to swallow whole anything that is told to you.

How about you? I guess you would have believed the protestors if they had said this? No question?

I repeated the claim in the article, nothing more. If you have an issue with the claim i'm not really the person to validate it. I know no more about it than you do. As to whether i believe the claim i have no reason not to. It is not one that he is likely to make lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its in the official garda statement released about the incident.

gardai also physically assaulted by a small number of people present (not the occupiers, but hangers on).

john4321 wrote: »
    So whats your point ? 

Obviously the person who asked the question cares, 
    So in you own word, Your comment has nothing to do with the conversation and adding nothing constructive to it,

• Advertisement
Advertisement