Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course you are noted for your wind breaking ability

Only whilst wearing the appropriately-named equipment.

Otherwise that would be breaking “The Rules”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Samsong

It's time to get rid of bloated public sector pensions and put the money towards the country and its infrastructure

One of the representatives of the occupation was just interviewed on RTÉ Radio 1's Drivertime programme.

No mention of demanding asset-stripping of private property, he clarified that they are requesting that the Department/ Local Authority compulsorily purchase vacant properties in the city, for social housing.

Not exactly a radical stance, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One of the representatives of the occupation was just interviewed on RTÉ Radio 1's Drivertime programme.

No mention of demanding asset-stripping of private property, he clarified that they are requesting that the Department/ Local Authority compulsorily purchase vacant properties in the city, for social housing.

Did he stand in some election to become a representative of the people?

He may have been chosen by the other like minded people to talk to the media.

What is your situation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Without CPOs, I wonder how many motorways we'd have...

Samsong wrote: »
    He may have been chosen by the other like minded people to talk to the media.

What is your situation?

Someone who wouldn't like anyone to break into my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It all depends on how “vacant” is defined for any CPOs.

Given the latest property occupied has been tied up in the planning process, and only finally got approval for redevelopment in the past 3 months, it would appear that the protest groups have one hell of a wide definition of what they’ll call “vacant” and set their eyes on.

It sounds dangerously like how Antifa and violence-loving cheerleaders in here try it brand everyone who disagrees with them as “fascist”, before declaring that its valid to assault anyone they’ve branded as fascist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

gctest50 wrote: »
    There was a court order telling them to gtf out of the building

Where were all the protesters when that court was on ?

Why didn't the protesters hire lawyers and whatnot to put their "case" forward ?

Couldn't get time off work maybe ? lol

perhapse they did have lawyers. or if not, as you said, perhapse they couldn't get time off work. it's not something we will know (for now at least)
    as we know, a lot of protesters do actually work.

The Nal wrote: »
    If you break into someones property and refuse to leave and end up getting arrested or getting the shít kicked out of you, tough titties.

What did they expect?! They broke into someones private property.

As for the owner, according to Take Back the City themselves, the she has worked in a humanitarian capacity in Romania for years, worked for the non profit Women for Election and is now director of The Irish Environmental Conservation Organisation For Youth Unesco Clubs.

Seems like an upstanding member of society who does a lot of good right?

So lets break into her property.

These people are scum. As is anyone who thinks breaking and entering is ok.

arrested, yes. the shít kicked out of you, not tough titties as it's asalt.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Why are you asking me?

I'm just saying what I heard on the radio; nobody claimed that he was a public representative.

Do all activists have to be local election candidates or something?:confused:

• Advertisement

Someone who wouldn't like anyone to break into my house.

That's nice.
    Who are you?

Why are you asking me?

I'm just saying what I heard on the radio; nobody claimed that he was a public representative.

Do all activists have to be local election candidates or something?:confused:

If a candidate stood on a policy of breaking into houses to achieve political aims, would you vote for them?

If a candidate stood on a policy of breaking into houses to achieve political aims, would you vote for them?
    Who are you on about, Michael Davitt?

I'd definitely vote for Michael Davitt.

He's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Citizens are allowed express opinions without having to be elected. Most people we hear on the radio haven't been elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Right so the government have announced billions of tax payers money to be spent housing spongers and wasters over the next decade.

Is that enough for these morons to go way now?

What more do they want?

Right so the government have announced billions of tax payers money to be spent housing spongers and wasters over the next decade.

What more do they want?

I just announced to the family that I will be traveling to the moon on Wednesday.

I just announced to the family that I will be traveling to the moon on Wednesday.

Good comparison, seriously.

So far this year there is 4,000 social houses, too much if you ask me.

Some sort of tent city in Leitrim would be more suitable

What more do they want?

what spongers and wasters?
    lots and lots of people both in social housing, and struggling in this current crisis, work. are they all "spongers and wasters" dispite working?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

How many times has that been announced? it's not new.
    That figure is wrong, this has been pointed out to you earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

We are close to full employment currently. It's not spongers and wasters effeted by this housing crisis it's hitting almost everyone. Couples with decent fulltime jobs are struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

What do you think working people who can't afford a mortgage should do?

He is probably not feeling the "boom" despite commuting long distances and working even longer hours. It's easier to blame the poor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Some sort of tent city in Leitrim would be more suitable

Why does everyone always say send em to Leitrim Feck off send them to Cavan

I responded to you showing the link that it’s true????

I’ll do it again so

Save like everyone had too you know for generations before.

Except spongers and wasters of course, case in point mrs cash.

https://www.google.com...798-Apr2018/%3famp=1

Diving into the figures. a total of 4,969 new social housing units will be actually built this year (about 2,700 more than last year).

I responded to you showing the link that it’s true????
    I responded too, showing you that the true figure of local authority builds is a small fraction of that.

Maybe you didn't see it, or maybe you didn't read your own link.

edit: ah, you didn't read your own link.
    https://www.google.com...798-Apr2018/%3famp=1

Diving into the figures. a total of 4,969 new social housing units will be actually built this year (about 2,700 more than last year).

That's a projection which relates to a combination of private builds and local authority builds. It has no factual basis in what has been built.

a good guide to use might be the fact that Dublin City Council built 197 local authority units last year.

• Advertisement

I responded too, showing you that the true figure of local authority builds is a small fraction of that.

Maybe you didn't see it, or maybe you didn't read your own link.

edit: ah, you didn't read your own link.

That's a projection which relates to a combination of private builds and local authority builds. It has no factual basis in what has been built.

a good guide to use might be the fact that Dublin City Council built 197 local authority units last year.

I’m talking about this year.

Save like everyone had too you know for generations before.

Except spongers and wasters of course, case in point mrs cash.

Save for a house while also renting? For a lot of people, that might take a while. Might be better to build enough social houses to ensure that working people have not only somewhere to live, but also a decent quality of life. Not everybody needs to own a house.

I’m talking about this year.
    The month is September, the year is not over.

The figure you presented is a projection.

You stated that 4,000 units have been built so far this year.

Can you see your error? Seriously.

It's all on rte one right now

I wish poverty denying opinions such as yours would go away tbh....... You’re the David Irving equivalent of socio-economic commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

what was it then, a pub crawl? of course it was an eviction/removal/whatever. they were being removed/evicted from the property they were in (in their case illegally)

using the word eviction is your way of trying to legitamise their presence in the building. They were not tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

From a PR point of view...using masked Gardai was a stupid decision by the govt.

this will come back to haunt them big time and plays right into the hands of the protesters.

except we don't know that because they had no identification what so ever. we do know the gardai were there, they had their badges as (i believe) are legally mandated.
    so who were the masked men. private security have attended and been involved in evictions before, so i think it's reasonable to think that these masked men were quite likely private security. they were driving an english registered van, so i think it's reasonable to assume that they may have been from outside the state (northern ireland)
    the protesters are absolutely entitled to know what exact legal capacity these men were operating in, and if actual private security or private bailiffs, which company they were working for.

and if you would be so kind as to provide a source that they were private security

or

if acknowledging that they aren't private security, the relevant legislation where they are compelled to identify themselves to protesters that would be great.
    Also what difference does it make if they work for a company in the north? does that prevent them being hired to carry out court orders?

From a PR point of view...using masked Gardai was a stupid decision by the govt.

this will come back to haunt them big time and plays right into the hands of the protesters.

did the government tell them to use hoods?

I wish poverty denying opinions such as yours would go away tbh....... You’re the David Irving equivalent of socio-economic commentary.

Who’s in poverty in this country.

Go on, I’m all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

did the government tell them to use hoods?

Without a doubt a call would have been made on how to deal with this given the PR sensitivity of the protests in relation to the governments housing strategy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

It's all on rte one right now

This is like a big crusading vibrator for Miriam O Gallaghan.I can still see her big stupid mug when they gave that bint Cash her Forever Home

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Without a doubt a call would have been made on how to deal with this given the PR sensitivity of the protests in relation to the governments housing strategy

I'd say the guards were given the option and gladly took it in order to protect themselves, their homes and families from intimidation.

They're just doing their job, although I'm sure there's several posters here that would class them as terrorists, oh the ironing.......

But one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, right lads?

rosser44 wrote: »
    I'd say the guards were given the option and gladly took it in order to protect themselves, their homes and families from intimidation.
    Lets just be clear here.

Of all of the undoubtedly brave work that Gardaí do, night in, night out -- including engaging with violent, armed thugs -- are you trying to tell us that they found this 'bunch of crusties' especially frightening?

They're just doing their job, although I'm sure there's several posters here that would class them as terrorists, oh the ironing.......

But one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, right lads?

The SS we're only following orders. They didn't hide behind balaclavas though

i already told you we haven't a clue who they are because they weren't carying identification. so hhow do you expect me to know what the hell they are, given that is what i and others here are actually trying to find out? also, what's unreasonable about making the assumption given that factor, and the fact that private security have been involved in evictions, that these masked men may themselves are private security. as i asked earlier, if one of these men had for example asalted one of the protesters, then how could any prosecution be brought against them, given they had nothing to identify what they are?
    companies shouldn't be used in this capacity anyway. it should be a state agency, but that's for another thread.

The SS we're only following orders. They didn't hide behind balaclavas though

That's pathethic

Lets just be clear here.

Of all of the undoubtedly brave work that Gardaí do, night in, night out -- including engaging with violent, armed thugs -- are you trying to tell us that they found this 'bunch of crusties' especially frightening?

The gardai were not concerned with the trust fund crusties inside the house, rather the crowd outside, of which several engaged in violence leading to arrests. Oh ya, and one of them was carrying a butterfly knife. Are you scared of scumbags with knives? I certainly am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Are you scared of scumbags with knives? I certainly am

Of course they are not. They are fearless keyboard warriors don't ya know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its on the news now, have to say the Gardai were very restrained with the scumbags shouting in their faces.

The gardai were not concerned with the trust fund crusties inside the house, rather the crowd outside, of which several engaged in violence leading to arrests. Oh ya, and one of them was carrying a butterfly knife. Are you scared of scumbags with knives? I certainly am

I wonder what would happen if a Garda turned up for their shift and refused to leave the station without a balaclava, because there are people with butterfly knives (and far worse) out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement