Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Lobby your local TD so to change the rules. Air BnB is not a new thing. Hard to imagine no one in government is ignorant of it . Up to the government to legislate for the area. Wonder why they haven't?

Why on earth would I lobby a TD in relation to a city/county council issue?

The laws around changes of use are there, and just need to be enforced.

Calling other people scum including kids is right up there in terms of nastiness tbh. Pot and kettle spring to mind.

I’ve already stated I’m not referring to kids who’ve been dragged along by their parents. I severely doubt the kids were the ones deciding to project their own issues into sticking two fingers up at the majority of citizens in the capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Lobby your local TD so to change the rules.

Oh the f**king irony.

Telling people to lobby a TD to change an issue yet when this was advised at the start of this whole crap of breaking into people's homes we we were told it's not working and they needed to take drastic measures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

blackwhite wrote:
    I’ve already stated I’m not referring to kids who’ve been dragged along by their parents. I severely doubt the kids were the ones deciding to project their own issues into sticking two fingers up at the majority of citizens in the capital.

They're not sticking their fingers up to the citizens. They are doing what the constitution allows.The right to protest is an important right in any functioning democracy. My point about referring to other people as scum still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

What is with boards.ie and forever thinking anyone who protests who fights for what they believe in is a scumbag or a degenerate?

The amount of people who are dismissive of the housing crisis is frightening. For every person out there fighting for rent control, more housing, the homeless crisis to be worked on etc etc - there's someone out there telling them to get a job and shut up. Giving the government and landlords a mandate to do whatever they please.

What the actual f**k is wrong with this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/9i005q/take_back_the_city_have_closed_oconnell_bridge/?utm_source=reddit-android

They're not winning over any supporters on reddit,all they've done is just pissed a lot of people off and they will now in no way support them,I know people caught up in this trying to get to and from work and are hardly.going to ask the government to change this or come our marching now

They're not sticking their fingers up to the citizens. They are doing what the constitution allows.The right to protest is an important right in any functioning democracy. My point about referring to other people as scum still stands.

If people behave like scum then they deserved to be called it.

I don’t disagree with the right to protest, but there’s no absolute right to protest in any way you see fit enshrined in either our laws or our constitution. There’s limits to what’s acceptable, and there’s limits to what’s legal.

Protesting by targeting people who have nothing to do with your issue is scummy. If people don’t like being labelled a scumbag, then maybe don’t act like one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is with boards.ie and forever thinking anyone who protests who fights for what they believe in is a scumbag or a degenerate?

The amount of people who are dismissive of the housing crisis is frightening. For every person out there fighting for rent control, more housing, the homeless crisis to be worked on etc etc - there's someone out there telling them to get a job and shut up. Giving the government and landlords a mandate to do whatever they please.

Not a lot.

Basic problem is that the extremists who game the system have queered the pitch for those who are in genuine need.

Need a crackdown on the gamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

First of all, Johnny, I feel I should point out to you that how fast you type doesn't dictate how fast someone reads a forum post.

It was worth a try, because no matter whatother way I made my posts, you were misinterpreting, and taking something else from them, even to the lengths of believing I had been writing things I didn't write about.

Anyway....
    Secondly, it has been pointed out a number of times that the hoods the Gardaear are part of the public order uniform. They just happen to be flame retardant, as are the overalls. Wearing them does not mean you expect to be in a fire. They also provide other protections, from the weather to smoke. You ask what they were expecting. I'd say they were expecting to be there for a while and wearing the thick leather gloves and heavy helmet and exterior body armour seemed like too much to wear at that time so they left them in the van in case they were needed so they could get ready quickly. It's just practical.

Which is all grand, but I would also assume that the fear of being doxxed on social media played a part in the masks, which may be part of the uniform, but are they mandatory?

No need for blowing smoke up anyone's arse when the top brass try and tell us they were wore for safety reasons, while emphasising the hoods were fire retardant. Make your own assumptions.

The only criticism from the Commissioner was that helmets should also have been worn too. You said the optics were bad. Is it your point that helmets would have been made these optics better?

Optics were bad, not because the Gardai attended the scene wearing masks, Jesus how many times must I repeat this.

Optics were bad because it appeared our states impartial police force were working in conjunction with a group of masked paramilitary styled men, who arrived in a clapped out looking van.

It's been condemned across the political spectrum and most media outlets, and rightly so.

Was it an indictment?

I couldn't care to be honest, but thankfully it would appear that it won't be repeated.

And the strawman arguments begin.

There’s a major difference between a protest rally, or a pre-advertised march and the scummy behaviour currently going on at O’Connell Bridge.

Bare-faced lies trying to claim that “anyone who protests” is being labelled a scumbag just show you up TBH

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote:
    If people behave like scum then they deserved to be called it.

Can you explain your definition of scum please?

The govt should place a levy on rolly eyes emoticons in this thread......

Fůckin hell.

blackwhite wrote: »
    You let the mask slip with previous comments on this thread. Can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube after nasty comments like those

'Mask slip'. B*ll*x. Nothing nasty about them. People have moaned endlessly about the commuting lifestyle in these forums and elsewhere yet have done precisely nothing in an attempt to start change round the issue. Do nothing, deserve nothing.

Nasty comments and you are going on about 'scumbags'????? Reactionary nonsense like you are coming out with deserves to be called out every time.

And the strawman arguments begin.

There’s a major difference between a protest rally, or a pre-advertised march and the scummy behaviour currently going on at O’Connell Bridge.

Bare-faced lies trying to claim that “anyone who protests” is being labelled a scumbag just show you up TBH

What do you suggest? Picket Leinster House? As if that makes a difference.

Nearly every protest/march through a city involves a holdup of traffic.

Todays demonstration was pre-advertised too.

blackwhite wrote:
    Protesting by targeting people who have nothing to do with your issue is scummy. If people don’t like being labelled a scumbag, then maybe don’t act like one

You don't seem to understand how protest works tbh. The idea is to cause disruption.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

Dead beats are the new Elites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

I would not be one to dismiss the housing crisis. It impacts on me and my social circle greatly.

People aren't dismissive of the housing crisis. They're dismissive of the methods of protest. Some illegal. Others childish and ridiculous attempts at propaganda, portraying incidents as something they're not.

If this movement is to work, it must go down an adult and professional route. If they spent half as much time contacting politicians directly, standing outside the Dáil and not blocking roads at will, not trespassing on properties, and not having an entitled attitude, they'd garner much more support and put pressure on.

By just blocking up roads (without being adult enough to consukt with Gardai and city council before hand) and trespassing, it is they in fact who are playing into the government's hands as they can simply be written off as "scumbags" or "crazies".

Proefessionalise and legitimalise if you're going to do this. Chants of take back the city, biased tweets, and blocking commuters rights to travel, is just cringe.

'Mask slip'. B*ll*x. Nothing nasty about them. People have moaned endlessly about the commuting lifestyle in these forums and elsewhere yet have done precisely nothing in an attempt to start change round the issue. Do nothing, deserve nothing.

Nasty comments and you are going on about 'scumbags'????? Reactionary nonsense like you are coming out with deserves to be called out every time.

You’ve showed nothing but contempt for anyone who knuckles down and tries to provide for themselves and their families. Sickening ideology, and a nasty attitude towards those who provide for themselves (and untimely others) to boot.

Similar attitude towards hard workers as those currently plonked on O’Connell Bridge, no wonder you’re falling over yourself to defend their calcium behaviour.

And of course, falling over yourself to target someone who’s been critical of your cult political party in the past. The usual tactics, but not surprising in the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

How come they don't occupy a ghost Estate in the Midlands and demand it be finished off for homeless families? Sure that'd get a couple of hundred of people homes straight away.............

In the Midlands? That's only for suckers that work n have to commute!
    Michael Martin was on the late late show last night bemoaning the pace of a social housing development in dun laoghire. Sod the Midlands, hang on for dun laoghire.
    A few more protests will get it sped up, any tax cut in the budget for the commuter in the Midlands will be sacraficed to pay for it. Sod it put a few cents on petrol n diesel n stick in solar panels for the gaffs in dun laoghire!

• Advertisement

There's a big rally planned on October 3rd regards student accomodation and rent prices also so posters have a heads up.

Can't wait for the boards thread telling students in full time courses to get a job to pay their 1000 a month rent because thats what they did.

Except they didn't pay 1000 for a room...nothing close.

You don't seem to understand how protest works tbh. The idea is to cause disruption.

Funnily enough, the water protests were successful in winning public support because they did their best not to target ordinary people going about their daily business.

The large-scale protest marches were always notified in advance, so even though they caused dispruption they were always careful enough to give people notice so they could plan for the disruption.

When a few scumbags tried the same tactics as today’s, they were rightly disowned and condemned by the vast majority involved with the water protests

No such decency from the arseholes currently planted on O’Connell Bridge today though. Nothing but contempt for the ordinary people of the city.

What do you suggest? Picket Leinster House? As if that makes a difference.

Nearly every protest/march through a city involves a holdup of traffic.

Todays demonstration was pre-advertised too.

They advertised they were going to stage a sit-down on O’Connell bridge??

Less of the lies please

Funnily enough, the water protests were successful in winning public support because they did their best not to target ordinary people going about their daily business.

The water protests were an easy win compared to housing.

You will get a good crowd out when you are protesting for people NOT to pay for something.

Getting a large crowd out to campaign for a large amount of social housing that HAS TO BE PAID for is more difficult.

They advertised they were going to stage a sit-down on O’Connell bridge??

Less of the lies please

The group who organsied today literally done the exact same sitdown protest last week.

I'm lying because you haven't seen any of the social media organisation etc. Alrighty then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

If the constitution is the defining line for what's acceptable, then it's fine to think of anybody as scum.

I acknowledge there is a problem with housing.

I accept their right to protest.

But with their previous antics and now aiming to inconvenience the ordinary citizens of the country, they lose any residue of support I would have had for them.

Maybe the laws on the use of "reasonable force" to protect one's home could be extended to one's property generally. It would be a good counter-balance for a group that has no respect for ordinary citizens and their property rights.

• Advertisement

The group who organsied today literally done the exact same sitdown protest last week.

I'm lying because you haven't seen any of the social media organisation etc. Alrighty then.

“Literally done”

Jaysus... says it all.

Get Real wrote:
    By just blocking up roads (without being adult enough to consukt with Gardai and city council before hand) and trespassing, it is they in fact who are playing into the government's hands as they can simply be written off as "scumbags" or "crazies".

Please stop with this rubbish. One of the largest of the. Water charge protests saw circa 100k take to the streets of Dublin. It was done with the full knowledge and cooperation of the guards. Advertised in advance and marshalled. Yet on sites like this one including some posting here today described those taking part as scum , wasters etc. The government sought to downplay the protest by trying to denegrate the participants just like what is being down here.
    There is a section of society/ posters here

that believes everyone should put up and shut up and never challenge the status quo.

You’ve showed nothing but contempt for anyone who knuckles down and tries to provide for themselves and their families. Sickening ideology, and a nasty attitude towards those who provide for themselves (and untimely others) to boot.

Similar attitude towards hard workers as those currently plonked on O’Connell Bridge, no wonder you’re falling over yourself to defend their calcium behaviour.

And of course, falling over yourself to target someone who’s been critical of your cult political party in the past. The usual tactics, but not surprising in the least

Yawn. Are you even bothering to read other people's posts fully? So I'll say it again: I work, I am a taxpayer, I provide for myself. 'Your cult'? What the f**k are you on about now? Ah I see, trying to carry that silly little squabble you started in the Politics forum yesterday into here. Give it a rest.......

blackwhite wrote:
    No such decency from the arseholes currently planted on O’Connell Bridge today though. Nothing but contempt for the ordinary people of the city.

Are you capable of comment with name calling? Just curious.

“Literally done”

Jaysus... says it all.

What's your problem?

• Advertisement

Yawn. Are you even bothering to read other people's posts fully? So I'll say it again: I work, I am a taxpayer, I provide for myself. 'My cult'. What the f**k are you on about now? Ah I see, trying to carry that silly little squabble you started in the Politics forum yesterday into here. Give it a rest.......

You and your fellow travellers attempts to target posters who dare criticise your political heroes have been seen before. Fairly transparent tactics, especially when you send people unsolicited PMs about other posters trying to discredit them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yawn. Are you even bothering to read other people's posts fully? So I'll say it again: I work, I am a taxpayer, I provide for myself. 'Your cult'? What the f**k are you on about now? Ah I see, trying to carry that silly little squabble you started in the Politics forum yesterday into here. Give it a rest.......

Theres tiers of tax payers. Theres the taxpayers who pay tax and get on with their lives. Then theres the tax payers who believe they should control anything & everything because taxes.

What's your problem?

I don’t have a problem,dude, do you?

Are you capable of comment with name calling? Just curious.

I’ll describe exacltly as their behaviour deserves.

But hey, I guess it’s easier for you to attack other posters than keep defending the scummy behaviour seen earlier by your heroes on O’Connell st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

What's your problem?

Do we need to “spell” it out for you??

I don’t have a problem,dude, do you?

How old are you? I pointed out the same group previously organised the same protest last week and you picked a phrase out of my post - for what I can presume is some "I'm holier than thou" grammatical thing. Followed by "says it all".

Tell me what does it say?

Homer wrote: »
    Do we need to “spell” it out for you??

Ah. Grammar.

A classic boards rebuttal. My apologies.

The large-scale protest marches were always notified in advance, so even though they caused dispruption they were always careful enough to give people notice so they could plan for the disruption.

When a few scumbags tried the same tactics as today’s, they were rightly disowned and condemned by the vast majority involved with the water protests

Jeez, that wasn't the general consensus from many of your fellow travellers around here at the time, in fact, I'd say if I could be bothered/had the inclination I'd hazard that I'd even find posts by yourself implying the same.

Gotta love all the now converted.

You'd have to wonder how many people will have road to Damascus moments if/when these housing protests prove to be as effective as the (now highly acclaimed) water protests. :D

How old are you? I pointed out the same group previously organised the same protest last week and you picked a phrase out of my post - for what I can presume is some "I'm holier than thou" grammatical thing. Followed by "says it all".

Tell me what does it say?

Tells me all I need to know,bro.

Tells me what I am dealing with.

You know, gives me an insight into folks.

Very important, a skill you should work on.

blackwhite wrote:
    But hey, I guess it’s easier for you to attack other posters than keep defending the scummy behaviour seen earlier by your heroes on O’Connell st

Attack? Bit over dramatic don't you think. Anyway you've answered my question. Seems you are incapable.

• Advertisement

Jeez, that wasn't the general consensus from many of your fellow travellers around here at the time, in fact, I'd say if I could be bothered/had the inclination I'd hazard that I'd even find posts by yourself implying the same.

Gotta love all the now converted.

You'd have to wonder how many people will have road to Damascus moments if/when these housing protests prove to be as effective as the (now highly acclaimed) water protests. :D

I disagreed with the opposition to water charges, but I didn’t criticise the methods of the large-scale protests (marches, etc) and can fully acknowledge that they succeeded.

Unlike some, I don’t feel a need to blindly follow a cult based on what a political party tells me, or to blindly back up any comments based on what “side” posted it

Attack? Bit over dramatic don't you think. Anyway you've answered my question. Seems you are incapable.

TBH, it’s seems that all you’re capable of doing is going after the poster instead of debating.

But I guess if that makes you feel good about yourself then knock yourself out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'd say it would result in most of these socialists staying in the suburbs and sitting around a (non commercial chain) coffee shop, sipping their fair trade espresso or chai, soy latte while pontificating about social justice and the government is crushing the people. They'd certainly be no where near the front lines if they thought they could an Alsatian chomping on them.

Anyone else got a winning Right Wing Buzzword Bingo card? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

The Guards would have moved in and broken up this gathering using batons, tear gas etc. There is no way this group of people should be allowed bring our capital city to standstill.

blackwhite wrote:
    TBH, it’s seems that all you’re capable of doing is going after the poster instead of debating.

If you think my replies to you are an attack , you'll have to forgive me in thinking you are incredibly sensitive and prehaps the internet is not the place for you. Btw it's hard to take anyone serious who is happy to describe other people as scum simply because of protest.

The Guards would have moved in and broken up this gathering using batons, tear gas etc. There is no way this group of people should be allowed bring our capital city to standstill.

What pretext could the guards use to take the actions you have suggested?

If you think my replies to you are an attack , you'll have to forgive me in thinking you are incredibly sensitive and prehaps the internet is not the place for you. Btw it's hard to take anyone serious who is happy to describe other people as scum simply because of protest.

More personal BS as opposed to debate?

What a shocker

Hopefully there will be arrests, court cases and convictions.

Only way to deal with this activity.

Like they did when the farmers brought the place to a standstill with their protests?

Grow up.

• Advertisement

You and your fellow travellers attempts to target posters who dare criticise your political heroes have been seen before. Fairly transparent tactics, especially when you send people unsolicited PMs about other posters trying to discredit them

Do paranoia much? That's funny because you called the poster in question a 'very obvious troll' in those PMs............

Advertisement