Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

hmmm wrote: »
    They didn't block "traffic". They are blocking the ability of people to move, and at the times they have chosen they are largely blocking the ability of workers to get home.

Really? On a Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tigger123 wrote: »
    They blocked traffic ffs. People have a right to protest.

And what of others rights to do what they're doing (going home etc) who's rights are more important and why does one superceed the other?

You can protest for months on end on the path outside leinster house if you want and it won't put others out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ahhhhhhhh:)

Once again, I paid 21,000 tax last year, how much did these morons pay?

Corporation tax around 3k.

What about yourself?
    Run for election. You hero.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The average number of occupants per dwelling, after a steady decline from 1900 to 2011, rose for the first time since data was collected between 2011 and 2016, a definite sign of deteriorating housing standards for a significant section of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

From Cso.ie, referring to the 2016 census-

"Rented accommodation has continued its upward trend with 497,111 households renting, an increase of 4.7 per cent on 2011. This meant that renting was the tenure status for almost 30 per cent of all of occupied dwellings in the last census."

Great so you showed a link for how many people rent.

Now have you a link for your claim its getting harder for large sections of society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ahhhhhhhh:)

Once again, I paid 21,000 tax last year, how much did these morons pay?

Corporation tax around 3k.

What about yourself?

Ok, ok... if it'll prevent me from having to witness the unedifying spectacle of a stranger on the internet publishing documentary evidence of his tax returns, in a desperate bid to prove that he has contributed something positive to society... can I just say I believe you. Your protestations have absolutely convinced me.

Really? On a Saturday?

Quite lot of people work on the weekends you know.

Anything you do on the weekends that have staff for instance......

pjohnson wrote: »
    Run for election. You hero.

Nope just an answer and question as said poster questioned if I contributed to society.

And what of others rights to do what they're doing (going home etc) who's rights are more important and why does one superceded the other?

You can protest for months on end on the path outside leinster house if you want and it won't put others out.

I spose your the type who sticks your car up on footpaths then.

Nope just an answer and question as said poster questioned if I contributed to society.

Such a martyr <3

• Advertisement

Great so you showed a link for how many people rent.

Now have you a link for your claim its getting harder for large sections of society?

I was referring to people who rent in my original post. More people are renting, and life is becoming more difficult for people who rent.

I spose your the type who sticks your car up on footpaths then.

Yeah..... Sure...... Whatever floats your boat there chap.

That sure answered the post concisely.

I was referring to people who rent in my original post. More people are renting, and life is becoming more difficult for people who rent.

For the 500,000 people?

Have you a link to your claim?

hmmm wrote: »
    They didn't block "traffic". They are blocking the ability of people to move, and at the times they have chosen they are largely blocking the ability of workers to get home.

On a saturday?

Yeah..... Sure...... Whatever floats your boat there chap.

That sure answered the post concisely.

You are crying over blocked roads. You said they can block the path instead.

Inconvenience some but just not me eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nice twist.

I take it you support Ms Cash and her burglar fella?

Oh and she is a criminal too.

Know next to shag all about her or her fella, and care for either less so.

What I do know though is that she's being pointed at by yourself and others like the protests and housing crisis is about her, and only her.

10k last I heard, which is a shocking figure if true.

You are crying over blocked roads. You said they can block the path instead.

Inconvenience some but just not me eh?

Who would they be inconveniencing? There's plenty of room on the path on the other side of the road.

When youre sitting in a car in a line of traffic on the quays and the road is blocked you can't exactly just do a u turn or nip across the hapenny bridge.

Know next to shag all about her or her fella, and care for neither less so.

What I do know though is that she's being pointed at by yourself and others like the protests and housing crisis is about her, and only her.

It seems AH has a huge fetish over her, if she does anything on FB theres a gaggle rushing here to report it. :pac:

Defo have her bookmarked and checked every hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It seems AH has a huge fetish over her, if she does anything on FB theres a gaggle rushing here to report it. :pac:

Long running thread in here about her.

Had a peak today, W.B has a fairly high post count in it alright, bit of an obsession it would seem.

Don't get the obsession myself, she's only going to get publicity te more she's discussed.

• Advertisement

For the 500,000 people?

Have you a link to your claim?

I don't have a definitive link to hand to back up my claim.

I stand by my original point though. The issue of housing is reaching a critical mass. And I think the civil disobedience around it wll only increase as it continues to reach up through society and affect the middle classes.

Look at what happened with the Vietnam war i
    the US. There was no urgency around it until the Government started drafting middle class college students. Then the protests really started kicking off.

Long running thread in here about her.

Had a peak today, W.B has a fairly high post count in it alright, bit of an obsession it would seem.

Don't get the obsession myself, she's only going to get publicity te more she's discussed.

You'd also imagine that such an obsession would cause them problems in their oft mentioned hard tax paying jobs, BUT they still manage regular updates regardless. Amusing and as you said they are the very reason shes in the limelight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

My apologies if it offended.

No offense taken, just thought you were above that behaviour. ;- )

Know next to shag all about her or her fella, and care for either less so.

No questions about the 10,000 personal circumstances etc.

Just take it as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Vacant site tax, for a start. Any suggestions yourself?

People taking responsibility for their own needs.

I don't have a definitive link to hand to back up my claim.

I stand by my original point though. The issue of housing is reaching a critical mass. And I think the civil disobedience around it wll only increase as it continues to reach up through society and affect the middle classes.

Look at what happened with the Vietnam war i
    the US. There was no urgency around it until the Government started drafting middle class college students. Then the protests really started kicking off.

The U.S got their asses handed to them in Vietnam.

That’s why they pulled out, they were there up until 4 hours before the Vietcong reached Ho Chi Minh.

Try read a book and educate yourself.

• Advertisement

A massive social housing building scheme akin to the Simms-era construction of thousands of units all over Dublin, using both state-owned land, and derelict private land acquired through CPO. Has this not been repeated often enough?

Thing is middle Ireland doesn't want to pay for it.

Bloody right we don’t.

We pay enough already.

Bloody right we don’t.

We pay enough already.

Exactly.

If the so called 10000 homeless were housed tomorrow you'd have another 10000 declaring homelessness the following day looking for a better house.

Exactly.

If the so called 10000 homeless were housed tomorrow you'd have another 10000 declaring homelessness the following day looking for a better house.

People can’t grasp this simple concept.

Brain dead.

Defo have her bookmarked and checked every hour.

If she didn't exist, right-wing arseholes would have to find some other method of distracting from the fact that a lot of working people can neither find nor afford somewhere to rent right now.

• Advertisement

People can’t grasp this simple concept.

Brain dead.

Dont be so hard on yourself

The U.S got their asses handed to them in Vietnam.

That’s why they pulled out, they were there up until 4 hours before the Vietcong reached Ho Chi Minh.

Try read a book and educate yourself.

I was referring to how the civil disobedience in the US increased dramatically when they started drafting middle class kids into the Vietnam war.

I was making a comparison to what's happening now with the issue of housing in Ireland. As these issues reach up into the middle class, a sense of urgency and action starts to take hold in society.

Dont be so hard on yourself

Awh tanks hunzo xx

I was referring to how the civil disobedience in the US increased dramatically when they started drafting middle class kids into the Vietnam war.

I was making a comparison to what's happening now with the issue of housing in Ireland. As these issues reach up into the middle class, a sense of urgency and action starts to take hold in society.

Yes the so-called housing crisis in Ireland is akin to the Vietnam war.

Good comparison comrade.

Who is 'middle Ireland'?

Who is 'middle Ireland'?

People who pay taxes.

700,000 working people don’t past any income tax.

Hence the middle class.

have we a measure on how much awareness was raised by todays tantrum

how much awareness is left to be raised before we house the 100000 homeless

i think its a house built for every five awarenesses but i havent looked into it fully tbh

Who is 'middle Ireland'?

People who pay taxes.

700,000 working people don’t pay tany income tax.

Hence the middle class.

People who pay taxes.

Hence the middle class.

The whingers who pay taxes you mean.

Just watched coverage of today's protest.
    Is there a shower crises too? Haven't seen that many grimey people since Monday of electric picnic.

• Advertisement

this from a poster who supports people who lie down in the street when they dont get what they want

its a headscratcher

Well they keep the country going.

You just call them whingers, interesting.

this from a poster who supports people who lie down in the street when they dont get what they want

its a headscratcher

Where did I say I support them?

I'm just laughing at the permanently whinging who do nothing but whinge or come up with utterly daft "solutions"

I'm just laughing at the permanently whinging who do nothing but whinge or come up with utterly daft "solutions"

But sure the protesters today were whinging???????

Well they keep the country going.

You just call them whingers, interesting.

No as I said before theres two types of tax payers. Those who pay tax and get on with their lives and then theres tax payers like you :)

and pay taxes

and arent a huge drain on society

which is important in the general run of things

but have a good laugh there im sure youre in a happy place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

blackwhite wrote: »
    Are you seriously trying to claim that there wouldn’t be any media coverage of the homeless problem if these scum didn’t block O’Connell Bridge?

It’s been the top story for most of the past 18 months at least.

In terms of what they should do? Maybe do something to highlight the vast numbers of council-owned properties sitting idle?
    But that doesn’t fit the anti-capitalist nonsense that the groups organising these protest are actually focused on, so they won’t ever do that

or, indeed, that the worst land-hoarders are local authorities

and pay taxes

and arent a huge drain on society

which is important in the general run of things

but have a good laugh there im sure youre in a happy place

I dont laugh at tax payers who simply pay taxes. Just those who thinks it gives them a right to dictate society :pac:

I dont laugh at tax payers who simply pay taxes. Just those who thinks it gives them a right to dictate society :pac:

bizzarrer and bizzarrer

paying into the shared pot means you cant complain at all

doing nothing means you should be lauded for lying in the street when you dont get free stuff

funny stuff again

• Advertisement

People who pay taxes.

Hence the middle class.

Many of those whom you categorise as 'middle Ireland' do not qualify for mortgages and have no choice but to hand over half of their monthly earnings to a landlord every month. Perhaps c montgomery might explain why those people wouldn't want their taxes to pay for the kind of huge social housing programme that would result in vastly lower rental costs for everyone?

Advertisement