Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Galway Gender Neutral Toilets ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We have gender-neutral bathrooms at work - most are single stall, but there are bigger toilets with five or six stands. In the newer buildings, there is a separate gender-neutral disabled access bathroom and then a two-stall gender neutral one for non-disabled persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Lux23 wrote: »
    We have gender-neutral bathrooms at work - most are single stall, but there are bigger toilets with five or six stands. In the newer buildings, there is a separate gender-neutral disabled access bathroom and then a two-stall gender neutral one for non-disabled persons.

thats a lot of toilets! :)

I'd be in toilet heaven there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are these not unisex?

Whats the difference?

I asked this question in management training before. Unisex means they are designed to be suitable for both sexes. You are excluding people who are non-binary. You are not excluding people who are gender fluid though. Gender neutral includes all of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Berserker wrote: »
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Are these not unisex?

Whats the difference?

I asked this question in management training before. Unisex means they are designed to be suitable for both sexes. You are excluding people who are non-binary. You are not excluding people who are gender fluid though. Gender neutral includes all of these people.
    How does unisex exclude non binary?

Sardonicat wrote: »

i dunno myself - but uni means one, like unicycle has one wheel so does it mean uni sex as in single (one) sex toilet ... god I am analysing this more than I should I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Don't have an issue with gender neutral toilets.

I do have an issue with relabelling disabled toilets. For many with a disability, they can't just wait outside while someone is faffing around inside. Some disabled people have continence issues which means when they need a bathroom they need it urgently, and can't physically hold in their waste like able bodied folk can.

Disabled people often have fcuk all dignity afforded to them by society as it is. The least we should be able to manage is that they don't have to sh!t themselves in a corridor of their college because some young wan is taking ages drawing on her eyebrows which she could have done in any other bathroom on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i dunno myself - but uni means one, like unicycle has one wheel so does it mean uni sex as in single (one) sex toilet ... god I am analysing this more than I should I think :)
    (genuine question)

Aren't gender fluid people only one gender in any given moment?

Neyite wrote: »
    Don't have an issue with gender neutral toilets.

I do have an issue with relabelling disabled toilets. For many with a disability, they can't just wait outside while someone is faffing around inside. Some disabled people have continence issues which means when they need a bathroom they need it urgently, and can't physically hold in their waste like able bodied folk can.

Disabled people often have fcuk all dignity afforded to them by society as it is. The least we should be able to manage is that they don't have to sh!t themselves in a corridor of their college because some young wan is taking ages drawing on her eyebrows which she could have done in any other bathroom on campus.

The arrangement was defended by NUI Galway Students’ Union. President Lorcán Ó Maoileannaigh said the toilets in question were not being reallocated or converted, but have simply been designated as both gender neutral bathrooms and disability bathrooms.

“One has not been replaced with the other,” he said

Mr Ó Maoileannaigh said the move had been supported by the university’s buildings office, all of students services and the students’ union.

Mr Ó Maoileannaigh said only a “very small percentage of students who identify as trans and non-binary” will use them but that it was important to improve accessibility for transgender students and would not be at the expense of disabled students.

“We have not had any student who has had accessibility problems since the signage on the bathrooms has been changed,” he said.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The arrangement was defended by NUI Galway Students’ Union. President Lorcán Ó Maoileannaigh said the toilets in question were not being reallocated or converted, but have simply been designated as both gender neutral bathrooms and disability bathrooms.

“One has not been replaced with the other,” he said

Mr Ó Maoileannaigh said the move had been supported by the university’s buildings office, all of students services and the students’ union.

Mr Ó Maoileannaigh said only a “very small percentage of students who identify as trans and non-binary” will use them but that it was important to improve accessibility for transgender students and would not be at the expense of disabled students.

“We have not had any student who has had accessibility problems since the signage on the bathrooms has been changed,” he said.

So they did change a disabled toilet to a trans & disabled one.

I thought trans folk just wanted to blend in and use the bathroom of their preferred gender. Saying "this is your loo now" sounds a bit...exclusionary.

And while consulting the buildings office, all of students services and the students’ union is all very nice and all, presumably these departments are stuffed with hetro able-bodied people and their opinion is irrelevant so why not consult the people the bathroom IS intended for and ask THEM what best suits them?

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    So they did change a disabled toilet to a trans & disabled one.

I thought trans folk just wanted to blend in and use the bathroom of their preferred gender. Saying "this is your loo now" sounds a bit...exclusionary.

And while consulting the buildings office, all of students services and the students’ union is all very nice and all, presumably these departments are stuffed with hetro able-bodied people and their opinion is irrelevant so why not consult the people the bathroom IS intended for and ask THEM what best suits them?

well its sketchy - I haven't gone to NUI to check this out in person so I dont really know what they have done, I just have to rely on reports in the news online. ... but yes, thats what it sound like to me that they have doubled up the disabled toilets there as Gender neutral toilets (is transgender the same as gender neutral .. I cannot keep up with all the genders these days , i think last time i checked their was 50 odd genders these days)

- I suppose at the end of the day it was cheaper for them to class the disabled toilet as a unisex / gender neutral / all gender / transgender / non binary / no label etc etc - ... er by just changing the sign above the door

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Couldn't care less that NUIG have a few gender neutral toilets - more power to them - but I do love the irony that some of them (on the way towards the SU shop for anyone who knows the geography) are literally right across the corridor from two separate sex Muslim prayer rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Can someone explain to me what "non binary" means? I'm not being sarcastic here. I looked it up and according to wiki it's
    Genderqueer, also known as non-binary, is a catch-all category for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine—identities which are outside the gender binary and cisnormativity.[1] Genderqueer people may express a combination of masculinity and femininity, or neither, in their gender expression.

When I google "non binary definition", this is what I get -
    non-binary adjective
    1. not relating to, composed of, or involving just two things. "Aristotelian ontology is non-binary on the second level in that it allows for degrees of being"

2. relating to, using, or denoting a system of numerical notation that does not have 2 as a base. "the enumeration data is stored in a non-binary format"

Is that not just just the same thing as gender fluid? :confused:

Perhaps the US military can safely fuel up there.

Because non-binary is a catch all for gender identities that are not male or female. If you identified as an owl, for example, unisex would not include you.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

They all have a go with the dildo.

Berserker wrote: »

Because non-binary is a catch all for gender identities that are not male or female. If you identified as an owl, for example, unisex would not include you.
    An owl is a different species.

aidoh wrote: »
    I do love the irony that some of them (on the way towards the SU shop for anyone who knows the geography) are literally right across the corridor from two separate sex Muslim prayer rooms.
    Sorry, why is that ironic, now?

Of the three Abrahamic religions, it is Islam which has traditionally been the most culturally friendly towards transgender people. For God's sake, even the Ayatollahs in Iran sanctioned gender reassignment surgery for their people back in the 1980s, long before such a thing was even public knowledge in this country!

RCSI in Dublin, which is heavily funded by Islamic governments, has transgender toilets. And nobody there bats an eyelid.

Not every religion is as obsessed with pissing-off transgender people as the Christian far-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Of the three Abrahamic religions, it is Islam which has traditionally been the most culturally friendly towards transgender people. For God's sake, even the Ayatollahs in Iran sanctioned gender reassignment surgery for their people back in the 1980s, long before such a thing was even public knowledge in this country!

RCSI in Dublin, which is heavily funded by Islamic governments, has transgender toilets. And nobody there bats an eyelid.

Not every religion is as obsessed with pissing-off transgender people as the Christian far-right.
    The Iranians viewed it as a 'cure' for homosexuality.

There have been cases of gay people forced into sex changes. Either that or be sentenced to death.

The Iranians viewed it as a 'cure' for homosexuality.
    I've never heard that, not sure if it's true.

Either way, it's definitely true that they have a much bigger problem with homosexuality. But the trans toilet issue isn't something that would faze them, by comparison.

Might be worth bearing in mind next time someone gets their knickers in a knot over transgender bathrooms: if even the Ayatollahs can get on board with such issues, maybe you can too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Martha Lazy Pope

What about the toilet for the small percentage who identify as an owl ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Go in there and let rip with the manliest fart at the urinal, if there is one.

See how long they decide this is worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Oh yes we f**king do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

CruelCoin wrote: »

On it!

(Or did you want an actual man ? I can step aside!!!)

I know but that's the example I was given.

That's easy, just install a pole with a branch sticking out for them to perch on.

Re post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

CruelCoin wrote: »

Genderfluid people don't fart?

Re post

• Advertisement

how do owls pee? - is it sitting down or standing up? ... its got me wondering now! - damn you! :)

Advertisement