Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getxo > Balcón de Bizkaia 12/09/2018 - Stage 17 - 157 km - Hilly

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Woods had great motivation today;

Woods said afterwards. “My wife and I, my wife had a stillbirth two months ago. We lost the little guy, his name was Hunter. The whole time I was going up the climb I was thinking of him I wanted to win so bad for him and I did.”

Nice to remember they are human at the end of the day, great win and delighted for him and the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

neris wrote: »
    Fabio aru down and half naked. Not a happy camper

Came in at 14.14 down today so good recovery and could have rode into top 10.

Curious now to see how he and Dan split the GT's next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Today was Valverde's best opportunity to take time from Yates, the last 2 major challenges look likely to favour Yates over Valverde more so that today's finish. If Yates is not going to collapse and I don't think it likely, it is going to take something very special from Valverde to win this Vuelta, especially with Adam back, and able, to support Yates if he does get into some trouble. It is now incumbent on QS, Movistar and Astana to keep the bonuses in play on Stages 19 and 20 to help reduce the current 25 second gap further if the opportunity presents itself. Personally I think we can rule it down to Yates, Valverde, Mas and MAL at this point. A Vueltan transistion / Sprinters day tomorrow, so perhaps a day off for the GC for some recovery ahead of the 2 deciding stages 19 and 20 on Friday and Saturday before the procession to Madrid on Sunday!
    NL4KiK1.png

Fqm6JDc.png

2ZVKvFS.png

The New Bookies Predictions for the race

Simon Yates 8/13
    Alejandro Valverde 3
    Enric Mas 7
    Miguel Angel Lopez 11
    Nairo Quintana 18
    Mikel Landa 30
    Steven Kruijswijk 50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

^^^ and Landa’s not even in the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Those Scott sunglasses that mitchelton wear make the POC shades ef wear look fashionable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A great collection of photos on Steephill (as per usual) from the stage today, including Fabio Aru's backside, the dodgy glasses that the Yates brothers have, and Michael Woods wearing a txapela

http://www.steephill.tv/2018/vuelta-a-espana/photos/stage-17/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I have difficulty accepting Valverde due to his past indiscretions - but I have to say he looks great on a bike - especially compared to the Yates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Those Scott sunglasses that mitchelton wear make the POC shades ef wear look fashionable
    Even the helmets and casquettes look massive on them - sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a casquette or baseball cap. I've come to the conclusion they have incredibly small heads.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Even the helmets and casquettes look massive on them - sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a casquette or baseball cap. I've come to the conclusion they have incredibly small heads.

Also this yoke he was wearing in the TT, if your trying to hide in spain in camouflage a red skin suit isnt going to help

bettiniphoto_0357941_1_2000px_670.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

letape wrote: »
    I have difficulty accepting Valverde due to his past indiscretions -.

Me too. He is lauded by the same people who bash Sky and Froome and have repeatedly called them cheats. I don't get it entirely, but I guess it's like Contador. He is from a certain type of cycling tradition. A hard man of the peleton. Aggressive and stylish, rides by feel etc etc. Some romantic vision that cycling fans have of the athletes they follow, and he matches that in a way Froome, Wiggins etc never could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Simon Yates also served a doping ban. But yes, riding style does colour judgements, as does Sky's constant and continuing PR bs since inception, (which we really don't need to revisit, again do we?) as to why they're judged by different (and their own stated) standards. I'm also not aware of Valverde going from no contract to GC contender in a matter of weeks like Froome did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Weepsie wrote: »
    Me too. He is lauded by the same people who bash Sky and Froome and have repeatedly called them cheats. I don't get it entirely, but I guess it's like Contador. He is from a certain type of cycling tradition. A hard man of the peleton. Aggressive and stylish, rides by feel etc etc. Some romantic vision that cycling fans have of the athletes they follow, and he matches that in a way Froome, Wiggins etc never could.

Looks like you do get it, that's a very accurate guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Simon Yates also served a doping ban. But yes, riding style does colour judgements, as does Sky's constant and continuing PR bs since inception, (which we really don't need to revisit, again do we?) as to why they're judged by different (and their own stated) standards. I'm also not aware of Valverde going from no contract to GC contender in a matter of weeks like Froome did.

Valverde was a super talent all way through his career, he looked special from first time he rode. He lives on the bike, guys a monk, literally only eats on bike, really looks after himself, so dodgy past or not he is just that damned good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Also this yoke he was wearing in the TT, if your trying to hide in spain in camouflage a red skin suit isnt going to help

bettiniphoto_0357941_1_2000px_670.jpg

Every time I see those glasses, I can't help but think of the punchline to that old Drew Carey joke - "I'm not really a welder - I just found these goggles"

Ivan Garcia had a few wheelies this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Maybe it's because the Vuelta is the smallest of the three GTs, but the fans on the side of the road have been well behaved (based on my viewing). There have been very few muppets on the side of the road trying to get selfies as the riders pass, or others dressed up in silly costumes.

Now maybe it's also because that the Guardia Civil don't take any sh1t! :pac:

Maybe it's because the Vuelta is the smallest of the three GTs, but the fans on the side of the road have been well behaved (based on my viewing). There have been very few muppets on the side of the road trying to get selfies as the riders pass, or others dressed up in silly costumes.

Now maybe it's also because that the Guardia Civil don't take any sh1t! :pac:

They mentioned that on the cycling podcast last night how good the fans were, alot looked like cyclists and club groups and not the tdf Muppets who just turn up for the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Love those sunglasses. searched high and low and all out of stock. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement