Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco and Los Angeles

• 11-09-2018 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

I'm just starting to plan a trip to San Francisco and Los Angeles for next Easter. I'm looking at 4 nights in each place so I'm looking for hotel recommendations and things to do please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have a search through previous threads here and in the US forum. There's lots of good stuff there.

For most, LA is overrated so I would suggest dropping a day from LA and spending that extra night somewhere between SF and LA on HWY1/PCH which is a driving bucket list item - spectacular.

Book attractions in advance to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheAlbert

We spent a week in LA last year and had a super time, we loved it. We stayed in an AirBnB in Marina Del Rey , so can't help you with hotels.
    We enjoyed the following:
    A Day in La tour - a bus tour that goes to most of the major tourist attractions
    A Whale / dolphin boat tour from Marina Del Rey
    Malibu Pier
    Santa Monica
    Manhattan Beach
    Venice Beach - especially the Abbot Kinney area & canals
    Universal Studios
    Warner Bros Studio Tour
    NFL game in the LA Colliseum
    There was a lot on our list that we didn't manage to fit in, but in general the coast is amazing but downtown is not great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've been to both and if going again wouldn't bother with LA at all.

Some lovely winery tours out of SF, if that's your thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

spurious wrote: »
    I've been to both and if going again wouldn't bother with LA at all.

Some lovely winery tours out of SF, if that's your thing.

LA Downtown - KIP

Area around LA is great. Malibu/Malibu Hills, Santa Monica, Long Beach, Canals around Venice

San Francisco is a great city to explore. From Fisherman's Wharf to Golden Gate Park

As mentioned above HWY1 from Monterey to Santa Barbara. Best road I have ever driven. Check it before you go. there was some natural disaster few years ago and not sure if whole road is open.

Enjoy the trip

EDIT:

Re-opened 2 months ago

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/california-big-sur-highway-one-reopens/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I would spend two days in LA and then take the Pacific Highway to San Francisco. All you have heard and read about how stunning this road is, is true and then some. I would recommend staying one night in Santa Barbara at the Southern end and then Carmel or Monterey on the North side.

Four days in San Francisco is a good length of time as that will give you enough time to tick all touristy boxes. Definitely take a ride on the cable car, visit Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, take a walk in the Presidio, be impressed by Fort Point's windy location under the Golden Gate Bridge and if you still have time, take the ferry to Alcatraz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thanks everyone, we were thinking of flying direct to San Francisco and staying there for 4 nights, then flying to San Diego and staying 4 or 5 nights with relations then flying to LA and staying 4 nights before flying direct from LA to Dublin.

My husband has said he doesn't mind doing a bit of driving so we'll probably spend less time in LA and spend a night in in a couple of places that ye've recommended and just fly to San Francisco and then fly back from LA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sounds good. LA and San Diego are only 120 miles apart so its easily driven in 2 hours rather than flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sounds good. LA and San Diego are only 120 miles apart so its easily driven in 2 hours rather than flying.

Check your map again, more like 420 miles - its 6hrs min taking the highway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Check your map again, more like 420 miles - its 6hrs min taking the highway

Maybe check the post again, San Diego not San Francisco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Union square is the centre in San Fran and alll places are accessible from there. So look for hotels in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

tricky D wrote: »
    Have a search through previous threads here and in the US forum. There's lots of good stuff there.

For most, LA is overrated so I would suggest dropping a day from LA and spending that extra night somewhere between SF and LA on HWY1/PCH which is a driving bucket list item - spectacular.

Book attractions in advance to avoid disappointment.

I would also avoid LA but if u do go there then pay the extra and stay in a nice area (i.e. near beach) as driving from one area to another is so painful and takes forever

santa Barbara is lovely if u wanna go somewhere along highway 1 close to LA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,639 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Would recommend airbnb over hotels, was in SF earlier this year and found a decent place for a reasonable price near Golden Gate Park. Would recommend buying a Citypass, it's gives you entry to 4 of the most popular attractions and 3 days public transport for around €75. A day trip to Napa and Sonoma was one of the highlights for me, even if don't like wine the scenery and the wineries are worth seeing. If you're into sport, the baseball stadium is pretty spectacular with views over the bay and Alcatraz. Alcatraz itself is worth doing on the night tour, getting the boat back in the dark is an experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

LA is a bit of a kip, a night or two there in somewhere like Malibu is ok though.

I'd lean towards SF and extending that trip and then driving down route 1 and doing one or two overnights on the way. Santa Barbara is nice (I live there) but so are places like Pismo, Monterrey and Carmel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Would recommend airbnb over hotels, was in SF earlier this year and found a decent place for a reasonable price near Golden Gate Park.

I was thinking of looking into airbnb but have never done it.

A couple of friends have suggested going to Las Vegas as well but we're tied to the two weeks of the Easter holidays so it's probably too much to fit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Id consider going to Napa also if you have time. What a beautiful place.

When i went to San Fran I stayed in Fishermans Wharf, but I ended up spending alot of time taking the tram in and out.

Get the audio tour of Alcatraz. Rent some bikes in Fishermans Wharf and cycle up along the sea front and across the golden gate.

Id also look at renting a car and driving out to Mur woods to see the Sequioas and the redwoods!

deisemum wrote: »
    I was thinking of looking into airbnb but have never done it.

A couple of friends have suggested going to Las Vegas as well but we're tied to the two weeks of the Easter holidays so it's probably too much to fit in.

Vegas is doable but to be honest, I've been there a few times and one or two nights is enough there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm also heading to Cali in a few weeks. Staying with friends mostly but want one night in a hotel when I get to LA as its our anniversary. Any suggestions? I was thinking Santa Monica or Venice as plenty to see walking around - its my wife's first time in the USA.

Going to go to San Diego to see a friend then drive the 1 up to San Francisco. Any suggestions as to where I should stay a night - approx half way towards San Francisco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm also heading to Cali in a few weeks. Staying with friends mostly but want one night in a hotel when I get to LA as its our anniversary. Any suggestions? I was thinking Santa Monica or Venice as plenty to see walking around - its my wife's first time in the USA.

Going to go to San Diego to see a friend then drive the 1 up to San Francisco. Any suggestions as to where I should stay a night - approx half way towards San Francisco?

Monterey maybe? I know a few people who went there and thought it was lovely.

Tefral wrote: »
    Monterey maybe? I know a few people who went there and thought it was lovely.

Monterey or Santa Barbara. Maybe San Luis Obispo or Pismo.

If you're gonna do route 1 from SD to SF, you might be better having two overnights. It's a long enough haul.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

8 Hours google maps says - I think I should be ok with one night no?

8 Hours?

Not on route 1, not a hope.

8 hours is probably on the 15, or the 5.

If you're taking route 1 from SD to SF, it's gonna be about 12 hours minimum. That's not allowing for LA traffic either.

I'd guesstimate it at about 14 hours.

Route 1 hugs the coast the whole way up the coast. It's a really gorgeous drive, but it is also much longer than taking the freeway.

I've done it from Santa Barbara to San Francisco and it was about 9-10 hours. That was taking our time and stopping for lunch, viewing points etc.

8 hours from SD to SF is taking the inland freeway route. Probably at night time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Nodster

ted1 wrote: »
    Union square is the centre in San Fran and all places are accessible from there. So look for hotels in that area.

Luckily to of visited San Fran four times since the millennium (wife hails from the Bay Area)
    Have stayed a block away from Union Square before and didn't like it - noisy and a fair share of resident pan handlers (a firm yet polite "No Thank You" usually works. Since stayed in the Fisherman's Wharf and found it far better. Would recommend getting a Muni Pass which covers travel on cable cars, streetcars and busses, so no problem going back and forth into the City. If you rent a car - check hotel for parking rates and it's pretty expensive everywhere! Many stores have their own 'club cards', well worth signing up even for one off purchases. Places of interest - Coit Tower, Palace of Fine Arts, Ferry over to Sausalito. Wear sensible shoes/trainers - those (seven) hills are steep!

Enjoy and relax, the locals are laid back folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,639 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

http://sfnativetours.com

If you fancy a tour with a difference, these guys are great. All SF natives with a real love for the city and its history. Went on the beer and history tour, it was good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

HWY1/PCH proper is typically over 12 hours straight driving if moderate traffic, 10 with minimum traffic (no chance) and no construction blocking the route. As it is a Bucket List item, you really need to take some time to really enjoy it by not having to skip attractions where you can spend a few hours at each. I took my time (SF > LA only) but still missed loads, so will just do it again but over at least 3 nights.

Monterrey has the aquarium and docks, and 17 mile drive = a few hours.
    Carmel is another hour.
    Santa Cruz could be another few hours. If going to the Mystery Spot, book in advance and allow about 2 hours.
    Whale watching at either of these is a half day and highly recommended.

Big Sur = anything from a couple of hours to days - seriously beautiful.
    Tonnes of stopping for spectacular views = a few hours.
    Hearst Castle = another few hours and book in advance.
    Santa Barbara/Malibu/Santa Monica and Venice Beach = another few hours.

Road construction contraflows can each be up to a half hour delay but average about 10-15mins.

You also probably would be better only planning to drive during daylight hours for safety and scenery reasons. Also SatNav is advised as some turns off the 101 are not well signposted imho.

Advertisement