Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What time do you go to bed and wake up?

• 11-09-2018 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I wake up around 8am and try to go to sleep between midnight and 2am. Occasionally go to bed earlier or later and I can't say that I feel any difference between getting 5 or 8 hours of sleep a night. I do notice that if I get less sleep at night during the week that I tend to nap more on the weekends though.

Hows your sleep?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

12 midnight and 8am. I need my sleep.

I would be shattered on less than 7 hours sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

12 to 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Bed at 12 and up at 5, yes I am a sociopath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I've been reading a lot lately about sleep and the effects on our brains. I'll tell ya it's scary stuff how much we're killing ourselves with lack of sleep. I've had my own medical issues relating to the brain in the past and it was my neurologist that got me onto it. There's a Joe Rogan podcast on it #1109 if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Depends on how often I've wanked and to what level of intensity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've been reading a lot lately about sleep and the effects on our brains. I'll tell ya it's scary stuff how much we're killing ourselves with lack of sleep. I've had my own medical issues relating to the brain in the past and it was my neurologist that got me onto it. There's a Joe Rogan podcast on it #1109 if you're interested.

Did you get Matthew Walker's book? I'm only on Chapter 2 but it's fascinating (and scary)

417dHCBAGEL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

up at 6.35 (well, alarm at least) and sleep by 23-23.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

At random intervals,you see I have narco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

3 or 4 hours a day due to working 12 hour night shifts and just being busy during the day ,it's all I need though would tend to go 48 hours or more without sleep no bother it just gets to the stage where I make myself go to bed eventually can only watch so much crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

2am and 10am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

Bed at 10:30 - 11pm .... up at 6am. I need at least 7 hours sleep to function

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Bed at 10:30/11 every night and up at 6 every morning, including weekends because I have to take medication at set times. I'd love to be able to stay up later at the weekend but the medication makes me drowsy and I could fall asleep standing up as soon as it gets to 10:30/11. I have occasionally managed to stay up until midnight but my body wakes me up at 6am because it's so used to being up at 6am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bed at 10pm, sleeping by half.

Alarm off some time after 6, up by a quarter past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'd go to bed between 10 and 11 most days, but I'd normally then read a bit so won't fal asleep until about 30 mins/1 hour after that.
    I get up at 6 during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

10.45-ish.

Read for 30 minutes.

Up at 7.15am.

Like to get the full 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Usually asleep between 10.30 and 11.30 and up between 7 and 8.

I'm always tired so either there's something wrong with me or I sleep too much.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Usually asleep between 10.30 and 11.30 and up between 7 and 8.

I'm always tired so either there's something wrong with me or I sleep too much.
    I'm spreading the word about sleep studies :D bloods all ok?

Bed around 1030-11 and up varying times, either 6 or 7. Sleep in a bit on weekends but not much, maybe 8 or 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Half nine to half five.

Ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Bed at 9:30-10:30 up around 6-6:30 for gym then onto work. Get home at around 19:20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

12-5, prefer to get up as soon as I wake up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm 35 weeks pregnant, so I currently go to bed around 10, then wake at 11.30, 2, 4, 5.30 - all to go to the loo. Theres usually another one or two wakeups thrown in on top of this due to my toddler crying, or bad heartburn. I will often will lie awake for a few hours unable to sleep too.

It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

11pm to 7am
    12 to 8.30 weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Usually aim to be in bed by 12:30 and up for 6:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm 35 weeks pregnant, so I currently go to bed around 10, then wake at 11.30, 2, 4, 5.30 - all to go to the loo. Theres usually another one or two wakeups thrown in on top of this due to my toddler crying, or bad heartburn. I will often will lie awake for a few hours unable to sleep too.

It's great.

That's an extremely long time to be in bed. I'm surprised you done 11 and a half hours until the first toilet break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Too late and too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

myshirt wrote: »
    That's an extremely long time to be in bed. I'm surprised you done 11 and a half hours until the first toilet break.

I'm living the dream, y'know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

1-3 for bed, read/play a game for 30 mins, alarm for 7:30.

Average would be around 1:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

10.45-ish.

Read for 30 minutes.

Up at 7.15am.

Like to get the full 8.

Technically it's the "full 7".

More or less than 7 = shorter life span.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭aj89

In bed at about 12, up at half 6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm spreading the word about sleep studies :D bloods all ok?

Bed around 1030-11 and up varying times, either 6 or 7. Sleep in a bit on weekends but not much, maybe 8 or 9

Ah, I'll just live with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've no real waking routine, whenever I wake, I wake. Usually it's in the 7 to 9 slot. Bedtime is normally around 11 and I'll read for up to an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I get up when I want
    Except on Wednesdays
    When I get rudely awakened by the dustmen. . . .

Thanks to little miss destructors arrival, I've been up somewhere between 5-7am for the last 2 years. I usually aim to hit the hay at about 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

earlytobed wrote: »
    11pm to 7am
    12 to 8.30 weekend

Username checks out.

For me it should be 12-8 but I fart around and often get to sleep post 1-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

10-7

Cina wrote: »
    Technically it's the "full 7".

More or less than 7 = shorter life span.

RIP.

It varies. On average people take 8 when they don’t have an alarm clock. If you are in sleep deficit you would take more than you otherwise would need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I'm living the dream, y'know?

Can ye not just bring a bottle to bed with ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Try to get to bed before 12, up each morn at 6 to go to local mma gym and then on with the rest of the day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Try to be in bed around 1030, asleep by 11. Wake any where between 6&7. Alarm goes off at 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get to bed 10:30-11:30
    Regularly awake for 4-5 hours during the night.
    Come 7:30 I could sleep as an Olympic sport so I make sure I’m out of the cot before that phase kicks in.

Don’t drink any coffee any more, plenty of fresh air, walk 5-7km a day.

Doctor says it’s a hangover from long term shift work and at that time I had a serious coffee addiction (10+mugs a day), proper homeground bean coffee.
    Haven’t worked shifts in 8 years but my circadian rhythm is just broken. He’s suggested sleepers but I’m hesitant.

Allot of days I’m running on autopilot inside with screensaver mode on outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pregnant. Can’t sleep more than 2-3hrs maximum at a time. Problem is every time in between I wake up like I ****ing lightbulb and then keel over again a few hours later. So I’m something like
    Sleep 10-midnight
    Awake 12-230ish
    Sleep 230ish-5ish
    Awake 5ish.

I may or may not snatch another hour before the theee year old wakes at 7. I’m a zombie right now. I’m an 8-9hr sleep person usually. Been signed off work now so at least getting a nap is the day which is keeping me human

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Bed around 11, asleep by 12, up at 6.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I like to snooze off around 10, my screaming passengers don’t seem to like it as much. Get a life bus losers!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Very interesting. All of you who read up on Sleep and have a better knowledge than i have - what is the optimal Amount of sleep per night?
    I am usually in bed around midnight, fall straight asleep, week days I am up at 645, weeeknds 10-1030. I always have to set an alarm and seldom awake before it. Always wrecked. Bloods fine. Am I doing something wrong? Prob should try to get to bed earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

‘They’ do say any sleep you get before midnight is very beneficial... may just be psychological as you’re getting two sleeps each day.

I’d imagine a restful nights sleep will leave you waking refreshed, more so than the quantity of sleep. Actively combatting stress in your life may help, rather than going to sleep with problems on your mind.

snor wrote: »
    Very interesting. All of you who read up on Sleep and have a better knowledge than i have - what is the optimal Amount of sleep per night?
    I am usually in bed around midnight, fall straight asleep, week days I am up at 645, weeeknds 10-1030. I always have to set an alarm and seldom awake before it. Always wrecked. Bloods fine. Am I doing something wrong? Prob should try to get to bed earlier.

Recommended average is 8 hours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I try to go to sleep at midnight, usually about 12:30-12:45, get woken by the wife at 7 when she's going to work, get another hour sleep and back up at 8-8:15....that last hour is useless, a broken sleep is not worth anything in my opinion, i should just get up at 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Bed between 9.30 and 10.30, up between 6.00 and 6.15 during the working week. Weekends or days off are a different routine though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Go to bed 2am, get up around 8:45 for work. If I went to bed before 2 then I would feel my whole day was a waste of time as all I would have done is worked and went to bed which a crap way to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Ideally bed before 11.30 and up for 7.30. Nothing beats waking and checking the time at around 1am feeling like it must be 4am.

Friday and Saturday nights are all over the place though. Much later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Bed before 10 pm most nights.
    5:15 wake up.
    weekend bed by 12ish, usually up by 8am.

• Advertisement
Advertisement