Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I tell HR about my bosses behavior?

Options
  • 12-09-2018 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    I need some advice.
    I work for a company where I have enjoyed my job role. Today I decided I had enough of my bosses behavior and quit. I haven't gone to hr before as I knew if I raised my voice hell would come for me. During my two years in the company my boss have screamed at the whole team telling us if we didn't get our **** together we could get fired (even if we overachieved everytime since we have started with over 220%). Everyone has reacted on it and even told him.in.a meeting that he should celebrate our success more and that everyone is tired of his behavior. He also gave me the "**** you" finger once when I asked for a day off and he said he did it because he was stressed. He has asked me if I have sex with my boyfriend when my boyfriend was sick one time, he told me I don't look to bad for being a ginger, he said once "I can't concentrate as I'm staring at your Boob's",. It has left me feeling really bad and didnt wanted to go to work. Meanwhile we had some concerns from a team I work with and told him I really wanted to solve the issue and asked him to give me a detailed plan on what's not working and how we can solve it. He hasn't given me s plan and I asked for one 6 months ago.so mentioned in my leaving cert that the reason for me leaving is because I am unhappy with how I have been treated and not because of actual job
    So my boss asked me why I put such info in on my leaving cert and he is now kind of threatening me not to go to hr as he says he " had my back" during this whole time and it would make him look like a fool. What do you think? Should I tell hr about this or just walk away quietly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So, you quit rather than make a complaint against someone who was bullying you, but now you want to make a complaint anyway ??

Presuming your currently working out your notice, yes I’d be asking for a meeting with HR or a senior manager. When you meet them have clearly documented incidents of this misbehaviour with dates if possible.
    Do make an effort to document them clearly as your post above is awful hard to read.

Make it clear that you resigned as a result of the bullying you have received.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you dont own him anything if he has treated you that way.

The fact you didnt say anything before over the space of 2 years will at least allow him to claim its sour grapes from you. The one thing i would say is if he is a terrible inappropriate boss then he has probably done this before, and they may already have something on file about him.

so do whatever suits you best, bearing in mind that if you need a reference raising trouble may backfire. If you already have a job lined up that wont be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What do you want to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

undersun wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need some advice.
    I work for a company where I have enjoyed my job role. Today I decided I had enough of my bosses behavior and quit. I haven't gone to hr before as I knew if I raised my voice hell would come for me. During my two years in the company my boss have screamed at the whole team telling us if we didn't get our **** together we could get fired (even if we overachieved everytime since we have started with over 220%). Everyone has reacted on it and even told him.in.a meeting that he should celebrate our success more and that everyone is tired of his behavior. He also gave me the "**** you" finger once when I asked for a day off and he said he did it because he was stressed. He has asked me if I have sex with my boyfriend when my boyfriend was sick one time, he told me I don't look to bad for being a ginger, he said once "I can't concentrate as I'm staring at your Boob's",. It has left me feeling really bad and didnt wanted to go to work. Meanwhile we had some concerns from a team I work with and told him I really wanted to solve the issue and asked him to give me a detailed plan on what's not working and how we can solve it. He hasn't given me s plan and I asked for one 6 months ago.so mentioned in my leaving cert that the reason for me leaving is because I am unhappy with how I have been treated and not because of actual job
    So my boss asked me why I put such info in on my leaving cert and he is now kind of threatening me not to go to hr as he says he " had my back" during this whole time and it would make him look like a fool. What do you think? Should I tell hr about this or just walk away quietly?

What the actual fcuk??? do you know you have a solid case to sue the company over that? "I can't concentrate as I'm staring at your Boob's" in this day and age of the me too movement, this is grounds for instant dismissal, you should have immediately went to HR over that, i dont think you should have quit if you like your job, go to HR immediately, inform them of what happened, they will have to let him go, that behavior is just not acceptable

What the actual fcuk??? do you know you have a solid case to sue the company over that? "I can't concentrate as I'm staring at your Boob's" in this day and age of the me too movement, this is grounds for instant dismissal, you should have immediately went to HR over that, i dont think you should have quit if you like your job, go to HR immediately, inform them of what happened, they will have to let him go, that behavior is just not acceptable

You know there’s essentially nothing grounds for “instant dismissal”, everyone, even scumbags are entitled to due process. This is a rookie mistake people make and leave themselves wide open to an unfair dismissal as the individual has no opportunity to refute the claim or the company to investigate.

Someone should be suspended immediately pending an investigation, the Wien the investigation is completed - fire the ass of the pig !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

_Brian wrote: »
    You know there’s essentially nothing grounds for “instant dismissal”, everyone, even scumbags are entitled to due process. This is a rookie mistake people make and leave themselves wide open to an unfair dismissal as the individual has no opportunity to refute the claim or the company to investigate.

Someone should be suspended immediately pending an investigation, the Wien the investigation is completed - fire the ass of the pig !

If her other colleagues heard him refer to her boobs in the manner in which he did, then that is grounds for instant dismissal, plus all the other stuff he said and did, i cant believe he hasnt been called up on this stuff already, although i do know it is difficult when you are in that situation for fear of them making your life hell whilst in work

If her other colleagues heard him refer to her boobs in the manner in which he did, then that is grounds for instant dismissal, plus all the other stuff he said and did, i cant believe he hasnt been called up on this stuff already, although i do know it is difficult when you are in that situation for fear of them making your life hell whilst in work

I was reading this article thinking of your comment.

Even if a dismissal is appropriate in a situation there is an absolute need to follow proper procedure, no matter how evident it is that dismissal is the correct course of action.

http://jrnl.ie/4231513f

It’s a really important point for employers and employees alike to understand, due process supersedes the morality of the idea of instant dismissal.

Instantly suspend the employee pending an investigation, then you can dismiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jane98 wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:
    Which has SFA to do with the topic at hand regarding whether the OP should escalate to HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

banie01 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Which has SFA to do with the topic at hand regarding whether the OP should escalate to HR?

That happens when you have multiple board threads open at same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

i cant believe ...

That's where I am with this whole thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement