Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Delidding in Dublin?

Options
  • 12-09-2018 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,

I want to delid my 8700k and was wondering whether anyone in Dublin provides this as a service?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd imagine it's somewhat disconcerting doing it for the first time mind, be much easier on the stress levels to have someone who has done it before do it for you and demo the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is it difficult/dangerous when clamping down a delidded cpu in the motherboard? As in, will the lid slide when the clamp is moving across the top of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Inviere

sugarman wrote: »
    It can be tricky but not really dangerous or that difficult, just take your time. When I did it I just positioned it ever so slightly back and held it by pressing down. When I slowly pulled the arm down it was making it slide forward a small bit as it was locking, but it lined up second time when id positioned it slightly off centre to the back.

I’m half tempted to do it and liquid metal my 7700k. I’m also half tempted to skip a new build altogether, and get a decent NAS up and running, and build a new rig in two or three years instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sugarman wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother, you won't see enough of an improvement to warrant it and you'll only kill resale value which it'll hold pretty well otherwise.

7700K delid gives an average 15-18C reduction (overclocked), well worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    7700K delid gives an average 15-18C reduction (overclocked), well worth it IMHO.

Agreed.

I delidded my 6700K and applied CLU Liquid metal and its cooled by a Corsair H110iGT 280mm AIO and it idles at a delta over ambient of about 5 degrees. Its auto-overclocked to 4.6ghz and maxes out around 55ºc when running benchmarks. It could probably be overclocked higher but I haven't the skills or patience to do it manually to find the lowest possible stable voltage etc

I bought a deBauer delidding tool.

From what I understand, about half the huge temperature difference is down to the Liquid metal and the other half is down to the fact that Intel use a thick layer of thermal compound between the CPU die and the Heat-Spreader to bridge the gap between them caused by the silicone adhesive used to glue the Heat-Spreader to the CPU PCB. When delidding, it is advised to scrape off the Intel black silicone adhesive from both the heat-spreader and the green PCB and to not replace it when putting the CPU and Heat-spreader back together after applying the Liquid Metal. Maybe just a blob at each corner outside the heat-spreader. I didn't bother with that though. I was just careful and held the Heat-spreader in position with my finger so it wouldn't shift while I clamped down the CPU with the CPU socket lever.

I had CLU left over so applied that between Heat-Spreader and my Corsair AIO too. NB. You can only use Liquid Metal between heat-spreader and your Cooler baseplate if its made from copper. CLU will literally dissolve an Aluminium Cooler Baseplate. My Corsair AIO has a Copper one so I was good.

I still had some CLU left over after this too and so decided to replace the thermal compound between my Palit Super Jetstream GTX1080s' Copper cooler baseplate and the nVidia Pascal GPU die. The difference here was that the Pascal die has voltage regulators arrayed around it which could be shorted if the Liquid metal ran off the die and touched them. I used some old non conductive thermal compound from the back of a drawer to create a little dyke/dam around the die so that if any CLU flowed off the die it couldn't reach the voltage regulators and short them.

I don't have the skills or patience to overclock my GPU either and just leave it up to nVidias GPU boost. Temperature is one of the main factors that GPU Boost uses to auto-overclock your GPU. My particular card boosted to and held at about 1900mhz before replacing the thermal compound on the GPU with Liquid Metal and afterwards it boosts to and holds at 2000mhz so it gained me 100mhz. My GPU maxes out at about 63ºc at 100% load running at 2000mhz with fan speed maxing out at 50%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement