Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRISH TRAVELLERS - GALWAY CITY CONFERENCE 12th Sep 2018

• 12-09-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Here is something to make your blood boil this Wednesday afternoon as you are working away paying your taxes: 
    [font=Palanquin, sans-serif]https://galwaybayfm.ie/city-conference-to-hear-irish-travellers-are-growing-part-of-countrys-homeless-crisis/[/font]
    [font=Palanquin, sans-serif]"The Irish Traveller Movement’s annual conference is being held at the Ardilaun Hotel .[/font]
    [font=Palanquin, sans-serif]The group is set to hear that the failure of the Government to deliver halting sites has forced over 2,000 individuals into the private rented sector.[/font]
    [font=Palanquin, sans-serif]Director of the Irish Traveller Movement, Bernard Joyce, says that’s a problem for both the State and the Travelling Community." [/font]
    Agree, that a big problem indeed ... the state using our hard earned tax money mollycoddling people who contribute zero to our society. Are we the only bloody country in the world who are constantly trying to please this crowd ?  They must be laughing just at the rest of us ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I got banned from the last one, i'm staying out of this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I thought this was an onion article.

"Traveller"... "homeless"... the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sounds more like they have a homed issue to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why would this make my blood boil? Well, apart from the terrible font you've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the state should provide a few fields with 10 meter perimeter walls

job done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

lawred2 wrote: »
    the state should provide a few fields with 10 meter perimeter walls

job done

"Jails", they're called "jails".

verycool wrote: »
    "Jails", they're called "jails".

ah now - they'd still need access to their piebalds

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Will the hotel bar be renovated and closed for business that day?

that's a decent hotel too if I remember correctly...

I wonder when the booking was made were the owners aware of who was making the booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Juran

Lux23 wrote: »
    Why would this make my blood boil? Well, apart from the terrible font you've used.
    You're very bored today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

will there be chains on the door of the Ardilaun Hotel bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭mikemac2

that's a decent hotel too if I remember correctly...

The Ardilaun is an amazing hotel

4 * and set on its own grounds on Taylor’s Hill. I love it

Used to be a part time barman in my college days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Well here's a new and interesting topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

When did this caravan shortage start and how come we're only hearing about it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Doesn't make my blood boil in the slightest, it makes perfect sense.

I would much prefer that the state was providing halting sites than social housing for these people.

We have to be pragmatic about these things. Not emotionally driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

By right, the government should grow a pair and stop pandering to this crowd or at the very least, if they are going to pander, they should raise the issue of responsibilities and such.
    We hear Leo and his crowd constantly refer to how they'll "raise the hard issues with Pres Trump/ Xi Xinping etc" etc when they meet them. Why not insist on the same values from the travellers.

I have no problem with halting sites (as long as they are not near me) - but ONLY after the the disabled, elderly and low incoming working families are FIRST housed and looked after by the state. Galway city council owns a big site in Galway city (knocknacarra area). They paid 10 million for it less than 10 years ago and they were proposing to build a halting site on it. €10 million of prime city land -  I kid you not. I believe the idea has been scrapped due to an outcry, and the land will be used for social & affordable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Juran wrote: »
    I have no problem with halting sites (as long as they are not near me) - but ONLY after the the disabled, elderly and low incoming working families are FIRST housed and looked after by the state. Galway city council owns a big site in Galway city (knocknacarra area). They paid 10 million for it less than 10 years ago and they were proposing to build a halting site on it. €10 million of prime city land - I kid you not. I believe the idea has been scrapped due to an outcry, and the land will be used for social & affordable housing.
    What is the problem? Travellers are as Irish as anyone else. More so really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

There's a pecking order now apparently??

no problem whatsoever, once they start paying taxes, respecting the laws of the land, stop abusing animals and other citizens, burning rubbish etc. etc.

Ya know, behave like respectable fellow citizens

Everyone in our state are equal - man, woman, child, sick, disabled, elderly, single parents, straight, gay, transsexual,  travellers, non-traveler,  black, white, all colors, race, religion, culture and creed. 
    The problem is that the state does not treat everyone equal. Travellers get special treatment over other groups in society - in particular they are treated different that the rest regarding welfare payments, not being forced for job interviews, housing needs, halting site land,  legal issues relating to criminality, animal cruelty, etc... that's the problem.

• Advertisement

Everyone in our state are equal - man, woman, child, sick, disabled, elderly, single parents, straight, gay, transsexual,  travellers, non-traveler,  black, white, all colors, race, religion, culture and creed. 
    The problem is that the state does not treat everyone equal. Travellers get special treatment over other groups in society - in particular they are treated different that the rest regarding welfare payments, not being forced for job interviews, housing needs, halting site land,  legal issues relating to criminality, animal cruelty, etc... that's the problem.

OK that's a reasonable perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Yes but that poster believes that the groups above should be taken care of first. It's his or her version of equality.

wexie wrote: »
    no problem whatsoever, once they start paying taxes, respecting the laws of the land, stop abusing animals and other citizens, burning rubbish etc. etc.

Ya know, behave like respectable fellow citizens

to be fair - a lot of already housed vermin fail in those regards too

to be fair - a lot of already housed vermin fail in those regards too

that is very true and quite frankly I'm not overly delighted with that either.

Lot of people seem to be very much up on their entitlements, not so much on their responsibilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

Since when? They identify as a different ethnicity than Irish people, they identify as Irish travellers not Irish people!

Look at any new "site" they've been giving, wrecked with rubbish and starving animals everywhere.

They should sell their new cars, crystal and all their animals, scammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I stopped reading your sentence about 10 words in. Some advice, cut out the shíte and people will pay more attention to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I have nothing to say, nothing to say .....

Edit - MOD BANNED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

will there be chains on the door of the Ardilaun Hotel bar?

Only once they get everybody in.

Since when? They identify as a different ethnicity than Irish people, they identify as Irish travellers not Irish people!

Look at any new "site" they've been giving, wrecked with rubbish and starving animals everywhere.

They should sell their new cars, crystal and all their animals, scammers.

Definitely more Irish than the Irish. It isn't like 'normal' Irish people hate crystal , don't scam and treat animals well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

Definitely more Irish than the Irish. It isn't like 'normal' Irish people hate crystal , don't scam and treat animals well.

Please explain how they're more irish than Irish people, are we not all equals?

It's about time the state stops pandering to their every "WANT".

They're scamming bastards, who contribute nothing to Irish society, only robbing the weak and vulnerable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just caught the intro to the one o'clock news to hear some guy in Galway say that other travellers have got space for their horses.

I don't wish to see anyone live is squalor but it's a bit hard to take them seriously sometimes when they believe they feel entitled to keep horses. I live in an apartment block and I can't even keep a cat but these ppl have horses. Horses like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

BBFAN wrote: »
    Doesn't make my blood boil in the slightest, it makes perfect sense.

I would much prefer that the state was providing halting sites than social housing for these people.

We have to be pragmatic about these things. Not emotionally driven.
    Or parked at the side of the road as they are beside our estate

I have no problem with halting sites (as long as they are not near me) - but ONLY after the the disabled, elderly and low incoming working families are FIRST housed and looked after by the state. Galway city council owns a big site in Galway city (knocknacarra area). They paid 10 million for it less than 10 years ago and they were proposing to build a halting site on it. €10 million of prime city land -  I kid you not. I believe the idea has been scrapped due to an outcry, and the land will be used for social & affordable housing.

Where do the unemployed come on your list?
    Do disabled people get housed before elderly?

Advertisement