Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google "Less secure Apps" notification

Options
  • 12-09-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I got a legit Google Security notification last night saying I was using some "Less secure Apps", it suggested I should disable this, I did and I haven't received any emails to Outlook since. !!! I would normally have got in excess of 100 by now.

I thought in the heat of the moment it was referring to some App on my phone...

Any idea where to go to reverse this?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I've never received such a notification so alarm bells are going off. Was it an email to your outlook account?

How did you go about disabling apps? Was it a full uninstall? Did the message get you to click on any link to continue?

Also, you're in computers and technology. I assume this is on your Android Phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

verycool wrote: »
    I've never received such a notification so alarm bells are going off. Was it an email to your outlook account?

How did you go about disabling apps? Was it a full uninstall? Did the message get you to click on any link to continue?

Also, you're in computers and technology. I assume this is on your Android Phone?

No, the issue is not the phone. The issue is with Outlook 2007 on PC not allowing me to sign in to collect my emails from Gmail.

I checked the link which I did receive on my phone notification and it was a legit Google issue.

I still get all my gmail emails to my Google account online and on phone, it just won't allow Outlook to sing in to pull them to my PC as I normally do.

I read on Google searching that you can re-enable less secure Apps but you need to sign in with a non Google Admin account... wtf!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well, I wish Google would stop referring to everything as an App....

It was a legit Msg and it turned off access to my Gmail account from Outlook.

It's sorted now.

It was a setting in my Google account under "Change other account settings" / "Apps with account access" and it was turned off by me agreeing to do it via the notification last night.

f18b33d97c.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Well, I wish Google would stop referring to everything as an App....

It was a legit Msg and it turned off access to my Gmail account from Outlook.

It's sorted now.

It was a setting in my Google account under "Change other account settings" / "Apps with account access" and it was turned off by me agreeing to do it via the notification last night.

f18b33d97c.PNG
    Actually it was other way around: Google treated Outlook as "less secure app" and turned off access for outlook to your gmail. This is why outlook would not get any new mail messages.

Advertisement