Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Dongle recommendation to work with Fritzbox router

Options
  • 12-09-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

As my fibre to the home is currently out of action for the foreseeable future, I'm looking at the options to get some kind of service back up and running in the house.

I have a Fritzbox 7590, and I'm wondering what kind of dongle could I use to integrate with it.

I have a lot of fixed IPs in the router, so I just want to get internet access but linked to the dongle.

Any recommendations and also, what do I need to do to make them work together seamlessly?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The most plug and play would be a bridged LTE router. Doing that it would sit in the same place as your ONT from Siro/OpenEir.

Unfortunately the Huawei options don't make that simple so check Netgear/TPs options.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Thank you.

Any model you'd recommend in particular? I'm just going to use a Three sim with unlimited data, to fill in till this fibre issue is resolved, and after that, just for any other outages which may occur.
    ED E wrote: »
    The most plug and play would be a bridged LTE router. Doing that it would sit in the same place as your ONT from Siro/OpenEir.

Unfortunately the Huawei options don't make that simple so check Netgear/TPs options.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A cursory glance says these will work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=DWR-921&_sacat=0

(I've not done it so cannot give any guarantees)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

One of the devices, that we've found to work reliable with both Fritz!Box and Mikrotik routers is the Huawei E5377.

It can be plugged into the USB port of the router and functions as 4G and 3G uplink.

It also has external connectors for an outdoor antenna, if needed.

Like this one here: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/OEM-Huawei-E5377-150-Mbps-4G-LTE-43-2-Mpbs-3G-Mobile-WiFi-Hotspot-White/262932403761

When not in use with the router, they are useful as a MIFI unit on travels.

I’ll order one up, should be here Monday as I have Amazon Prime, just need to get a SIM card too.
    One of the devices, that we've found to work reliable with both Fritz!Box and Mikrotik routers is the Huawei E5377.

It can be plugged into the USB port of the router and functions as 4G and 3G uplink.

It also has external connectors for an outdoor antenna, if needed.

Like this one here: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/OEM-Huawei-E5377-150-Mbps-4G-LTE-43-2-Mpbs-3G-Mobile-WiFi-Hotspot-White/262932403761

When not in use with the router, they are useful as a MIFI unit on travels.

• Advertisement

Another device, that is confirmed to work in the Fritz!Box 7590 and most Mikrotik boxes is the ZTE MF823 LTE USB stick.

Be aware, that the ZTE stick doesn't work well in older Fritz!Box routers, that don't supply enough power to it and also may need trickery to get working initially (change of profiles etc.)

The first one seems like a better choice I think.
    Another device, that is confirmed to work in the Fritz!Box 7590 and most Mikrotik boxes is the ZTE MF823 LTE USB stick.

Be aware, that the ZTE stick doesn't work well in older Fritz!Box routers, that don't supply enough power to it and also may need trickery to get working initially (change of profiles etc.)

AidenL wrote: »
    The first one seems like a better choice I think.

It is, as it also can be used on travels and seems more trouble free. The reason it probably doesn't have the power issues like the ZTE is, that it has a battery (being a MiFi), so it can live on low-power USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I hate to resurrect an old but would you have an update on how you got on or anyone else, i have the same fritzbox 7530.

All appreciated

Advertisement