Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old meter

Options
  • 12-09-2018 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Have a very old meter in the house, house is well over 100 years old the main fuse is 60amp but the meter is only 40amp,want to get an electric shower fitted but will this 40amp meter restrict the size of shower i can get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Toby250 wrote: »
    Have a very old meter in the house, house is well over 100 years old the main fuse is 60amp but the meter is only 40amp,want to get an electric shower fitted but will this 40amp meter restrict the size of shower i can get?

The meter may not be your only issue here
    Mains cable sizing and earthing will probably need upgrading too. Your rec should advise

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Toby250

meercat wrote: »
    The meter may not be your only issue here
    Mains cable sizing and earthing will probably need upgrading too. Your rec should advise

All the wireing is up to date with trips and rcd I just think it's funny it has an old 40amp meter with a 60amp main fuse

All the wireing is up to date with trips and rcd I just think it's funny it has an old 40amp meter with a 60amp main fuse

It should have been replaced when main cable from distribution board to meter was upgraded. I’m surprised esbn didn’t do this as they’re very efficient. Perhaps no Cert was forwarded at the time. Either way contact your rec to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Toby250

It should have been replaced when main cable from distribution board to meter was upgraded. I’m surprised esbn didn’t do this as they’re very efficient. Perhaps no Cert was forwarded at the time. Either way contact your rec to check it out

Ok thanks will do, if it needs to be changed do ESB charge for this

Ok thanks will do, if it needs to be changed do ESB charge for this

Generally they won’t charge for upgrading their meter and cutout. However they may require a certificate from your rec to ensure the installation is up to standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Generally they won’t charge for upgrading their meter and cutout. However they may require a certificate from your rec to ensure the installation is up to standard.

Theyd want an earth in place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I was charged by ESB to fit a new box to my newly rewired house. They require the cert from your electrician and they are very efficient. Cost approx. E100.

Advertisement