Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complete coffee noob

• 12-09-2018 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

What would you advise a complete coffee noob to buy first?

Someone who likes barista coffee when out, but only drinks instant at home.

I had this put to me this morning, and my advice was a French Press or an Aeropress as a small initial outlay and use grounds.

I also advised to look for an electric grinder with blades, as a burr grinder can get pricey fast - and anyway, there's no point in having a grinder, burr or otherwise, if you've nowhere to brew the coffee anyway.

What route would you tell someone who was starting out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes and Aeropress or French press are good starting points. If you like espresso/americano style coffee a moka pot could be a good option too.

I think you have the grinder opinion backwards tbh. Everyone strongly encourages people to get burr grinders, as blades are not good at all for producing a good grind for coffee. You can get cheap electric burr grinders in shops for in and around 50quid. But as with most hobbies, the prices can sky rocket.

I'd also suggest a V60. It's a very cheap gadget (under 10 quid), and produces a great cup of coffee with very little effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Get a Hario Mini Mill and Aeropress, or try to get coffee freshly ground in-store if you don't have a grinder.

Most decent cafes will be able to help you with this as well as advise you on what kind of coffee would suit your tastes.

Advertisement