Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Tallaght

• 12-09-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Hi thinking of moving to Tallaght - what areas are good to live in and what areas would you avoid.

Currently looking at two houses - one in Balrothery Estate and the other in Tamarisk Avenue, Kilnamanagh.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Old Bawn and Kingswood. Everything else is pretty much a lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Tabnabs wrote: »

I'd put Kilnamanagh in this group too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd take Belgard over Kingswood myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Balrothery is a well settled area. Originally built in the early 70's . Fine sturdy houses. Private estate also so you won't get much of a turnover there. Houses that do come up are usually snapped up but there is one on the market at the mo they the vendors seem to be holding out for a few more bob.

Great transport links also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ah here, Bancroft is a lottery?

Most of the council areas would typically be the ones you might avoid unless you're from there, all the non council areas are fine of which there are many.

Along with some of the areas listed, Aylesbury, Seskin View, Millbrook Lawns, Glenview, Bancroft etc... are all fine.

It really depends which part of Tallaght you want to live in I suppose as it's so big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

kitten_k wrote: »
    Hi thinking of moving to Tallaght - what areas are good to live in and what areas would you avoid.

Currently looking at two houses - one in Balrothery Estate and the other in Tamarisk Avenue, Kilnamanagh.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tamarisk is a grand estate, would defo have that over Balrothery which isn't bad either but you have the Kilnamanagh shopping centre and luas on your doorstep, never any trouble either in Kilnamanagh, as Tallaght estates go its prob one of the nicer estates along with Kingswood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thanks everyone, we got outbid on both houses :(

Any views on Homelawn Road / Avenue?

I grew up fairly close to Homelawns and most of the houses were still council owned at that time and it was lively enough back in the 90s but I think it's settled down a fair bit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

why Tallaght? plenty of houses going up for sale in Greenhills which is only across the park from Balrothery and Kilnamanagh. will be a nice place to live when the local shops /Pub gets rebuilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You are best suited to look at the demographic in the areas considered. Age etc crime stats etc. look up CSO figures.

Then actually visit the location at different times of the day and spend an hour or so there. That could entail just merely sitting in the car reading a paper and getting the feel for it.

Visit the nearest shops and watch the customers. Get your own feel for it. This area is well settled now and would have alot older demographic than 20 years ago. Problems back in the 90s with young families and young kids would have aged out, But those things can return. You have to get your own feel for a location.

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    why Tallaght? plenty of houses going up for sale in Greenhills which is only across the park from Balrothery and Kilnamanagh. will be a nice place to live when the local shops /Pub gets rebuilt.

Id assume price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone else see the title of the thread and think "who'd want to buy Tallaght?"

flazio wrote: »

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

flazio wrote: »

No , not at all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Ush1 wrote: »
    By far the largest population of any regional town in Ireland(more than some of our "cities"), clearly lots of people want to buy there.
    Yes, but the post you’re replying to wanted to know who’d want to buy Tallaght, not who’d want to buy a house in Tallaght!

Yes, but the post you’re replying to wanted to know who’d want to buy Tallaght, not who’d want to buy a house in Tallaght!

My mistake!:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ah here, Bancroft is a lottery?

Most of the council areas would typically be the ones you might avoid unless you're from there, all the non council areas are fine of which there are many.

Along with some of the areas listed, Aylesbury, Seskin View, Millbrook Lawns, Glenview, Bancroft etc... are all fine.

It really depends which part of Tallaght you want to live in I suppose as it's so big.

Am familiar with all those and would include them under the heading of a lottery. I wouldn't be a fan of Seskin or Millbrook at all. Home of the famous Dominic's (aka Stale or Stolen). Aylesbury has a fair amount of teenage troublemakers and even during the Celtic tiger the houses there didn't appreciate in value to the same extent as other areas. Never a good sign.

Parkwood is a nice little estate, as is Riverview. Both would be worth looking at.

Am familiar with all those and would include them under the heading of a lottery. I wouldn't be a fan of Seskin or Millbrook at all. Home of the famous Dominic's (aka Stale or Stolen). Aylesbury has a fair amount of teenage troublemakers and even during the Celtic tiger the houses there didn't appreciate in value to the same extent as other areas. Never a good sign.

Parkwood is a nice little estate, as is Riverview. Both would be worth looking at.

I've lived in both Millbrook Lawns and Aylesbury for many years and never had any trouble. To be honest Kingswood was always considered a rougher part of Tallaght when I was younger though I'm sure it's not the case now.

You'll find teenage troublemakers in any suburb in any town in Ireland. Any trouble they cause would be petty and harmless.

Advertisement