Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-fi alert first and GSM as backup?

Options
  • 12-09-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for new alarm and no experience with the self monitoring type ones, does anyone know of an alarm system that will send an alert via WiFi first and if it can't only then it uses the SIM card?
    I imagine that would reduce the top ups you'd have to do on the SIM card, right?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most will do it with managed international SIM cards at a fixed rate.
    GSD are the cheapest we have found and have very fast network fail notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

KoolKid wrote: »
    Most will do it with managed international SIM cards at a fixed rate.
    GSD are the cheapest we have found and have very fast network fail notifications.
    Thanks, I've found a place near where I live that does the Siemens-Vanderbilt SPC system, the GSD system looks fine too, reading some of the other threads it seems like installers usually do one system only?
    Should probably get a few quotes for each.
    I was thinking about adding a security light and something like the Argus 2 security camera (but that thing looks like it could be ripped offthe wall lol).
    I have a Synology NAS too if I want to keep recordings (software supports several brands of IP camera) but I don't know how useful that is.

The HomeSecure.ie system is also tempting by price, €199, but I'm guessing that's for the monitored system which I'm not really interested in, and at a low price it looks like they're trying to get rid of it (down from €699!).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Siemens Vanderbilt is good also. On the contrary, most good installers would be able to install and maintain all systems.
    GSD also has some good integration with CCTV using HikVision. They are also looking at integration with Alexa.
    Avoid Homesecure. Anything cheap initially will cost you more in the long run as you are tying yourself to that company & system & you will be stuck with ongoing charges & subscriptions.
    This can be the case with some apps as well, so the best advice is shop around some more & read over whats already on the forum some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Hi, looking for new alarm and no experience with the self monitoring type ones, does anyone know of an alarm system that will send an alert via WiFi first and if it can't only then it uses the SIM card?
    I imagine that would reduce the top ups you'd have to do on the SIM card, right?

Unless you have regular alarm triggering then your top ups will be minimal.I pay €5 every 12 weeks just to keep sim active. I use self monitoring and I do not have WiFi alerts.

I would recommend WiFi alerting together with gsm for diversity. ( I note most of the eir mobile network was down on Wednesday for a number of hours)

Doing it properly through an installer you would have an international sim card so any single network problem won't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 oldBen16

@KoolKid can you provide any info about the rates for SIM card for GSD and Siemens?

Do you know any installer for Siemens in Galway area?

@Cerco, what system do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Mine is an old GEC Phonewatch system, out of contract.
    I have it set to call me in the event of an alarm.
    Not ready to upgrade yet but I will eventually get one with internet access and alerts. My son has a GSD system, about a year now, and is very pleased with it.
    I don’f Know enough about other systems to comment. Good luck with you search.
    Cerco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

How are the Risco systems? Anyone find them good?

Advertisement