Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch Series 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

so in the gym u wouldn't need to bring your phone ?

your watch can play your iTunes music ?
    You can download music to your watch can’t you?

I always have the phone so have never had the need to but I thought you could do that and therefore leave the phone at home.

Correct, you can put a small bit of music on your watch and use bluetooth headphones to listen to it, so your phone can stay in your locker in the gym, or at home if you go out for a run.

I use mine for exercising and the only disappointing thing I found was that the heart rate tracker of the watch was pretty poor once I got sweaty. So I have a bluetooth chest strap heart rate monitor that I use when exercising and it's excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just an update on battery performance. I went to bed at about 10:30 last night with a fully charged watch and used the sleep tracker.

I went for a 40 minute run using the activity app on the watch at lunch time today. I have had about 10 notifications today via WhatsApp. My battery currently stands at 68%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

You can download music to your watch can’t you?

I always have the phone so have never had the need to but I thought you could do that and therefore leave the phone at home.

I generally have my phone with me, but if I am only going for a run-the phone is awkward, so i just have bluetooth headphones and the watch. I have a load of music and podcasts loaded to the watch that I can use without the phone.

One way that I find the watch great, is the 'dictaphone'? for messages, it's very good at getting the message correct.
    to save battery, I have Siri turned off, but that's the only thing I have turned off, if Siri is on all the time, it is always using energy, and I never use siri anyway, I actually find it terrible-maybe it's my accent or something.

I could go 2 days without charging the watch, but I charge it for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes before I hit the hay.
    It's the only watch I've had that is really comfortable and I never feel like I have to take off.

I like the cinema mode as well, where if I get a notification, it doesn't light up my watch and even if I raise my wrist it doesnt light up. it takes a tap to show the face-very helpful if you're in bed or in the middle of something, ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BDJW wrote: »
    Correct, you can put a small bit of music on your watch and use bluetooth headphones to listen to it, so your phone can stay in your locker in the gym, or at home if you go out for a run.

I use mine for exercising and the only disappointing thing I found was that the heart rate tracker of the watch was pretty poor once I got sweaty. So I have a bluetooth chest strap heart rate monitor that I use when exercising and it's excellent

A small bit?

The watch has 16gb capacity in total. There's about 3.5gb for the OS so you have about 12gb for music and podcasts. That's loads.

murpho999 wrote: »
    A small bit?

The watch has 16gb capacity in total. There's about 3.5gb for the OS so you have about 12gb for music and podcasts. That's loads.

The Series 3 has 8GB of storage, and you can only use 2GB of this for music

ETA: As far as I am aware, the Series 4 can only hold 8GB of music, not the 12GB mentioned above

• Advertisement

The Series 3 has 8GB of storage, and you can only use 2GB of this for music

OK, but this is a thread about the Series 4. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I got my series 4 this morning and its a million miles away from my gen1 .. much snappier and the difference between 42mm and 44mm on the new screen is light night and day. I had the original for exactly three years and haven't worn any of my other watches since getting it.

murpho999 wrote: »
    OK, but this is a thread about the Series 4. :P

Eircome Sucks asked for help coming from a Fitbit to an Apple Watch. I gave him my experience coming from a Fitbit to a Series 3 watch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

so in the gym u wouldn't need to bring your phone ?

your watch can play your iTunes music ?

Yes, you can select what albums/genre to sync to the watch.
    So in essence, you leave your phone at home and can go running with just the watch and Bluetooth earphones or use the gym etc

16gb memory. You can get more than a small bit :)

Sweaty arms - I have 2 straps. One is the fabric Nike sport loop and I have the silicone sport band also. I swap on the silicone sport band for training as I feel the fabric loop will stink over time. I also tighten it maybe one notch to ensure it doesn’t move during training. I find that helps.

Means I can just get out, shower and by doing that I’m cleaning the watch and strap and then I just put back on the sport loop band which I prefer for everyday wear.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just an update on battery performance. I went to bed at about 10:30 last night with a fully charged watch and used the sleep tracker.

I went for a 40 minute run using the activity app on the watch at lunch time today. I have had about 10 notifications today via WhatsApp. My battery currently stands at 68%.
    What sleep tracker is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

awec wrote: »
    What sleep tracker is this?

I use AutoSleep and like it a lot.

For anybody who has bought a Series 4 watch, what do the straps from the previous models fit like? Are they a perfect fit? Any pictures?

For anybody who has bought a Series 4 watch, what do the straps from the previous models fit like? Are they a perfect fit? Any pictures?

Yes they're a perfect fit.

Cases on all watches are the sames size as their previous corresponding models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Strange that Apple haven’t reissued that watchOS update yet, usually they’d have it figured out by now.

My watch is now with Apple for repair so I’ll have it back Monday going by previous experience.

I got my watch back from Apple earlier. The email said they hadn’t fixed anything which initially had me worried. But it is back working now. Haven’t had the chance to set it up to see what version of watchOS is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

watchOS 5.1.1 out solving the bricking issue.

Shn99 wrote: »
    watchOS 5.1.1 out solving the bricking issue.
    Think I’ll hold off updating to this :P

DubDJ wrote: »
    Think I’ll hold off updating to this :P

I’m still waiting on my watch to be returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What’s the chances of these coming up for sale on Black Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

mad muffin wrote: »
    What’s the chances of these coming up for sale on Black Friday?
    If your buying from Apple or an auth retailer then you’l won’t get a discount but an apple voucher

I’m thinking the likes of Harvey Norman?

40mm okay for 17.5cm wrist?

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Chances of series 4 watches being discounted anywhere on black friday must be nearly zero. I doubt Apple would allow it.

awec wrote: »
    Chances of series 4 watches being discounted anywhere on black friday must be nearly zero. I doubt Apple would allow it.

Harvey Norman discounted them by €50 not long after their release, for their anniversary sale.

I just wasn’t ready to get one then… :(

mad muffin wrote: »
    Harvey Norman discounted them by €50 not long after their release, for their anniversary sale.

I just wasn’t ready to get one then… :(

This is true, the first ever real sale that Harvey Norman had :)
    The problem was trying to get one in stock at that time!

There's nothing to loose by holding out in my opinion, I'd wait and see if anyone anywhere offers some discount, sure even an apple voucher is better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Still waiting for mine to be delivered by Apple on nov 20-27. Counting down the days.
    But why is there a 5 week late with Apple?? Did they not have huge stock at launch date?? Or is demand just this high?? They are one of, if not the biggest company in world today. Is 5 weeks customer wait ok in today’s monopoly capitalist world??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kceire wrote: »
    I used Jabra Sport up until a few weeks ago when I got a set of AirPods on adverts so I said ill try them. If I didn't like them, I will sell on and wont loose much money.

Im the same as you in that the earphones from apple never stay in my ears, well my right one to be exact so I obviously have a weird shaped right eat canal :)

I got 2 sets of grips on Wish. one set has the winglets and they make them stay in your ears 100%, even running, skipping etc, but they wont fit in the charge case.

The other set I bought is just a clear silicone skin. Should prove all the grip to stay in my ears, and seemly they fit in the charging case too, but I haven't received them just yet.

If they work, ill post up the link. I agree that if they don't fit in the case, then the simplicity of what the AirPods are is lost.

I got the Jabra sport elite after, and they are brilliant. Pity about the AirPods, but no point in flogging a dead horse. They just wouldn’t fir properly.

kceire wrote: »
    I’m still waiting on my watch to be returned.
    Has yours been returned yet?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Has yours been returned yet?

Yes, got it back yesterday. Updated to 5.1.1 last night so all good :)

• Advertisement

Does anyone do a good space grey Milanese loop?

I know Spigen used to sell one but they seem to have stopped.

Advertisement