Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch Series 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is very disappointing, I bought the watch because of the ecg, that was the tipping scale for me. what benefit has it over the 3 if not for that?? this is a joke

It was very clear that this would be a US feature only.

4 has lots of features over the 3 including a redesigned screen and better processor.

Can't imagiine just buying it for the ECG and in fairness it may still come to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

murpho999 wrote: »
    It was very clear that this would be a US feature only.

4 has lots of features over the 3 including a redesigned screen and better processor.

Can't imagiine just buying it for the ECG and in fairness it may still come to Ireland.

I can’t imag buying it for any other reason than the ecg, the screen and processor are irrelevant to me. As I said above, not being available in Europe is one thing, not being available in America because the watch wasn’t bought there was not said, 2 entirely different things ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You may be able to return it if you were sold it under false pretences.

Try quoting the sales of goods act upon the return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

eeloe wrote: »
    You may be able to return it if you were sold it under false pretences.

Try quoting the sales of goods act upon the return.

I’m actually going to do that, I don’t see how they can argue against it if I plan on living in the USA. They really should have made it clearer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did you ask the salesperson? It was made very clear at launch it was a US only feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'm not surprised that some people were not aware that it is unlikely that the ECG feature will not be available outside the US for quite a while. For instance, I was listening to a podcast yesterday and there was an Irish tech journalist on it who said that the ECG feature would probably be available here by Christmas. :confused:

And I have read other reviews from Irish journalists who don't make any mention that it will likely be months if not years before we see the ECG feature over here.

I’m actually going to do that, I don’t see how they can argue against it if I plan on living in the USA. They really should have made it clearer.

If you’re going to be in the US a lot, buy a US model like mine and have the ECG feature. Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Anyone know where there might be stock it this in or around Dublin?

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/40mm-gps-gold-aluminium-pink-sand-sport-loop
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kenwood

Anyone find that the Wake Screen on raising your wrist and the bedside clock does not work after upgrade to ios 5.1.2 ?
    Both are turned on in the app on the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

kenwood wrote: »
    Anyone find that the Wake Screen on raising your wrist and the bedside clock does not work after upgrade to ios 5.1.2 ?
    Both are turned on in the app on the iPhone.

Works fine for me. Did you try a restart?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kenwood

@Mad Muffin Yes I did.

Just did a 'Force Reset' and same result......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

my series 4 was bought in the Apple Store in NY and just did the updates last night and the ECG app is there and working !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

How does the sports band sit in the groove on your watches?

On mine they are fairly wobbly. Feels kind of cheep…

whippet wrote: »
    my series 4 was bought in the Apple Store in NY and just did the updates last night and the ECG app is there and working !!
    That's cool I bought one today and it has a US plug which I assume it means it's US..

Yeah if it has a US plug it was more than likely bought originally in the states!

eeloe wrote: »
    Yeah if it has a US plug it was more than likely bought originally in the states!
    Is the ecg app Geo locked or is it installed depending where the watch was bought?

Is the ecg app Geo locked or is it installed depending where the watch was bought?
    There was talk of it being geolocked.

Then it had to be s4 watches and phones that were ONLY purchased in the states.

My watch was bought in the states, and my phone is from Irish stock.

So it appears to be just the watch has to be bought in the states for it to be installed when you update to the latest watchOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Got Series 4 for Christmas ( present to myself :D), huge upgrade from me Series 1 watch :).

Still trying to figure out how to put music on it from Spotify for use in the gym/running (I have yet to do any exercise, so that's the 1st step). If anyone has any info on how to do it much appreciated.

I used it today in the shower and no problems. do you have to use the remove water feature on the settings after every water reaction?

Another question can I use watch with say map my run or apple workouts without the need to bring my phone with me to tether to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Got Series 4 for Christmas ( present to myself :D), huge upgrade from me Series 1 watch :).

Still trying to figure out how to put music on it from Spotify for use in the gym/running (I have yet to do any exercise, so that's the 1st step). If anyone has any info on how to do it much appreciated.

I used it today in the shower and no problems. do you have to use the remove water feature on the settings after every water reaction?

Another question can I use watch with say map my run or apple workouts without the need to bring my phone with me to tether to watch?

Re music on Spotify this link should help you
    https://www.wareable.com/apple/how-to-use-spotify-on-apple-watch-6609

Re logging activity on your watch. There are various methods. Two I use are:
    1. Apples activity watch app and and an app called HealthFit. HealthFit will take the apple activity data and sync it with the various health fitness websites.

2. Your other option is to use an app like starva which has a native watch app. You can just use your watch on its own and it will sync with your phone when they meet up again. Only doubt I have is whether starva needs an internet connection to work I am not sure.

My personal preferred choice is to use a chest strap with the activity app and then use the HealthFit app to sync to starva after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 trickybicky

Bought the 44mm in Curry’s for 449, cheaper than apple!

Do most people put a cover on them or leave them?

Looking to get a spare charging connection. Is it possible to get just the end piece that you can plug a normal iPhone charger into it?

Anyone recommendations for a good 2 in 1 Iphone and watch charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I got a cover on wish and put it on, made it look like a toy watch so I just took it off

Razor Russ wrote: »

1. Apples activity watch app and and an app called HealthFit. HealthFit will take the apple activity data and sync it with the various health fitness websites.

2. Your other option is to use an app like starva which has a native watch app. You can just use your watch on its own and it will sync with your phone when they meet up again. Only doubt I have is whether starva needs an internet connection to work I am not sure.

My personal preferred choice is to use a chest strap with the activity app and then use the HealthFit app to sync to starva after.
    Does healthfit sync with Fitbit?

Thanks for that and the workout / activity app works good on the watch.

The Spotify is another matter. It will let you have more control on the watch but still can’t have offline music on watch

From the web :

“Offline playback
    Another quite major oversight, there’s no ability to store music on your Apple Watch to listen offline. That means for runners, for example, you can’t store playlists on the Apple Watch when you go for a workout. We’d suspect this will be the next feature to drop, but there’s no timescale on when that might happen.”

Apple Music on the other hand works perfect (from using free trial) . As you would expect Apple want you to use their own music service

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can put music on the Apple Watch to play offline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Podcast app I have (overcast) allows for offline playback. The fact that Spotify doesn’t have it just means they haven’t put the development effort in and it’s not about Apple wanting to use their player (which was true of previous years).

The watch is still tricky to develop for especially for audio and fitness apps due to the power constraints of the watch. I can see why Spotify haven’t put in the effort yet.

Podcast app I have (overcast) allows for offline playback. The fact that Spotify doesn’t have it just means they haven’t put the development effort in and it’s not about Apple wanting to use their player (which was true of previous years).

The watch is still tricky to develop for especially for audio and fitness apps due to the power constraints of the watch. I can see why Spotify haven’t put in the effort yet.
    Spotify allows downloads on Android for offline playback. It doesn't on ios?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Spotify allows downloads on Android for offline playback. It doesn't on ios?

I’m talking specifically about the watch.

Thanks for that info.

For the moment I just use apple Podcasts to sync with the watch. I have it set up for add episodes from "Custom" as opposed to "Listen Now". With custom, it says "iPhone will try to add three episodes from every show you have chosen".

Is there a way to actually select the episodes I want to sync from phone to watch.

If I do it through iTunes I assume that will work, but just a hassle :)

Also, I tried a run last night with just apple watch, it tracked everything but the map route logged nothing.

Do I need to bring my phone with me to log distance/ map route or should it resync when I get back to my phone?

Edit: I have read some things about needing to calibrate the new watch with my phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks for that info.

For the moment I just use apple Podcasts to sync with the watch. I have it set up for add episodes from "Custom" as opposed to "Listen Now". With custom, it says "iPhone will try to add three episodes from every show you have chosen".

Is there a way to actually select the episodes I want to sync from phone to watch.

If I do it through iTunes I assume that will work, but just a hassle :)

Also, I tried a run last night with just apple watch, it tracked everything but the map route logged nothing.

Do I need to bring my phone with me to log distance/ map route or should it resync when I get back to my phone?

Edit: I have read some things about needing to calibrate the new watch with my phone

just go into activity on your phone and look at workouts, all the info from your run should be there

i find overcast better for the podcast syncing personally

Advertisement