Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch Series 4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The Irish Heart foundation should be all over this like a rash, the current waiting lists for tests and even ECG's themselves in hospitals are crazy, and the cost itself are also expensive.

If more people had one of these devices on their wrist, imagine the pressure it'd take off the system, and people could just email a monthly report over to their doctor....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

eeloe wrote: »
    The Irish Heart foundation should be all over this like a rash, the current waiting lists for tests and even ECG's themselves in hospitals are crazy, and the cost itself are also expensive.

If more people had one of these devices on their wrist, imagine the pressure it'd take off the system, and people could just email a monthly report over to their doctor....

I think you're massively overstating the benefit of these and what they're used for. How does the watch alleviate any of that? If anything it'll contribute to more people coming in and demanding tests.

I think you're massively overstating the benefit of these and what they're used for. How does the watch alleviate any of that? If anything it'll contribute to more people coming in and demanding tests.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what way it goes, but as someone who's genuinely interested in heart health, i'm excited.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what way it goes, but as someone who's genuinely interested in heart health, i'm excited.

I think it's great as well and has huge potential. Since the watch was announced I've argued health is the killer feature that Apple could eventually exploit.... but, you've to recognise the limitations of what the product offers. It's just like a blood pressure monitor you'd buy in Boots. It's convenient, it's a (hopefully good) guide, but it's not going to replace professional medical equipment and investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’m not optimistic about the ECG feature hitting Ireland anytime soon. I wish Apple could of released it with an ‘uncertified’ label or something along the lines so we could use it either way.

The fact that eSim has been around a while, and Apple news also, both of which haven’t hit Ireland yet would be an indicator of how quickly we’ll get this. I was surprised at how quickly we got Apple Pay but with the Irish banks they’ll do anything to get people using their services more.

• Advertisement

I think it's great as well and has huge potential. Since the watch was announced I've argued health is the killer feature that Apple could eventually exploit.... but, you've to recognise the limitations of what the product offers. It's just like a blood pressure monitor you'd buy in Boots. It's convenient, it's a (hopefully good) guide, but it's not going to replace professional medical equipment and investigation.

Oh for sure, nothing will beat a proper ECG, but if it's been FDA approved it must be pretty damn close.

Oh for sure, nothing will beat a proper ECG, but if it's been FDA approved it must be pretty damn close.

So will that blood pressure monitor. That doesn't stop a doctor wondering has gob****e being wearing it around his knob. There's different classifications a well. It's not a blanket certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

gonna get the 44mm..need to sell my Series 2 first...SWMBO rule..one in , one out

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

gonna get the 44mm..need to sell my Series 2 first...SWMBO rule..one in , one out

Should still get decent money for your s2 if it's in good condition.

its great,....doubt i 'll have a probelm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I will be another person getting rid of my Series 1 for the Series 4. I was originally going to upgrade to the Series 3 but I think it is a bit of a false economy to do so. Series 4 seems so much better than 3 and will be future proofed in terms of design for a few more years.

Was having a look though the compare list of details
    https://www.apple.com/ie/watch/compare/

Few differences that stood out
    Slightly different version of OLED screen whatever that means
    Bluetooth 5 instead of 4.2 so hopefully that means better connectivity with the X.
    As another poster mentioned it has double the storage now at 16GB
    Also, it now includes the USB power brick where the series 3 doesn’t.

At €339 vs €469 I think it’s worth the extra for the Series 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I have the 2nd gen apple watch in stainless steel....while I like the idea of changing to the Series 4 as someone else said it seems like a backward step to get the less premium aluminium watch that is available here.

Pretty expensive to get the cellular stainless steel option in the UK particularly when the cellular element isn't usable here.

Decisions, Decisions

the amount of testing to have it FDA approved as a Medical Device is huge, particularly so if the GP is going to review the data and make a life critical decision based on that data.

But the FDA only certify for devices to be used in the US.

In Ireland the HPRA will need to certify it for use. There is a few agreements coming down the line where the HPRA will accept the FDA decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

DubDJ wrote: »
    Was having a look though the compare list of details
    https://www.apple.com/ie/watch/compare/

Few differences that stood out
    Slightly different version of OLED screen whatever that means
    Bluetooth 5 instead of 4.2 so hopefully that means better connectivity with the X.
    As another poster mentioned it has double the storage now at 16GB
    Also, it now includes the USB power brick where the series 3 doesn’t.

At €339 vs €469 I think it’s worth the extra for the Series 4.

The series 3 I have included a power brick Nike Apple Watch series 3.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    The series 3 I have included a power brick Nike Apple Watch series 3.
    Weird, the website lists the s3 as having no plug. Maybe the Nike version does or maybe they just removed it to make the s3 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Weird, the website lists the s3 as having no plug. Maybe the Nike version does or maybe they just removed it to make the s3 cheaper.

Strange alright I definitely got one with S2 Nike too the S1 was from the states and I’m nearly sure I got a US brick.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Vudgie wrote: »
    I have the 2nd gen apple watch in stainless steel....while I like the idea of changing to the Series 4 as someone else said it seems like a backward step to get the less premium aluminium watch that is available here.

Pretty expensive to get the cellular stainless steel option in the UK particularly when the cellular element isn't usable here.

Decisions, Decisions

This is exactly me, only I’m upgrading from 1st gen. it’s so hard to justify to myself spending double on the stainless steel but today I tried on my friends black sport series 3 and while it’s a nice looking watch I just didn’t feel happy with it on my wrist. I’m thinking il bite the bullet and go stainless steel from the U.K.

Does anyone know are we on the same network bands as the U.K.? In that should any network support it in the future I’m ready to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have never got Apple Care before. But it seems worth it for the watch? What are your opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I have never got Apple Care before. But it seems worth it for the watch? What are your opinions on this?

The closest I ever came to buying Apple care was for my X, it never crossed my mind for my watch. My watch has taken a proper beating too (banging off stuff mountain biking) and it’s still fine, few minor scratches but nothing that has caused a need for repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

blink44 wrote: »
    This is exactly me, only I’m upgrading from 1st gen. it’s so hard to justify to myself spending double on the stainless steel but today I tried on my friends black sport series 3 and while it’s a nice looking watch I just didn’t feel happy with it on my wrist. I’m thinking il bite the bullet and go stainless steel from the U.K.

Does anyone know are we on the same network bands as the U.K.? In that should any network support it in the future I’m ready to go?

There seem to be two LTE versions, one for the US and Canada LTE bands and another for everywhere else. So long as you get the version which covers UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy etc. you should be safe enough here if one of the networks every gets around to supporting it.

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

I bought a Nike S3 last month in the US and it has a US power plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Honest question and by no means meant to sound like a jerk... :) but why are you worried about plugs? At this stage have you not got a nice collection? My apartment is literred with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

It looks like the power plug only comes now with the cellular series 3, they dropped it from the non-cellular version.

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

They did something similar with the launch of series 1 and 2. Series 0 had a power plug and it became series 1 with the newer chip but they dropped the power plug.

It looks like the power plug only comes now with the cellular series 3, they dropped it from the non-cellular version.

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

They did something similar with the launch of series 1 and 2. Series 0 had a power plug and it became series 1 with the newer chip but they dropped the power plug.

Mine is a gps only and came with it, as I said it was bought in the US though.

Honest question and by no means meant to sound like a jerk... :) but why are you worried about plugs? At this stage have you not got a nice collection? My apartment is literred with them.
    It was me who stated the plug discussion :D It was just something I came across in the included accessories section. I have the series 1 and never got a plug so I was just curious if it was new this year. Seems to be a bit all over the place depending on what model you have.

I actually don’t have a lot of accessories as I literally take the device out of the box and leave all accessories inside. Helps with the resale value down the line and I usually only need the one plug I already have.

I’m lucky with Apple accessories, I’ve the same iPhone and iPad power plug and cables since around 2012 or maybe earlier. Still working perfectly, although I’m now using wireless charging with my X.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Honestly its pretty reasonable + if anything happened to the screen it pays for itself

€99.00 Applecare + €65 excess fee if something happened

€ 321.30 any watch repair or € 91.30 battery repair

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Leaving this very late in the planning stage but anyone know how well the Milanese loop cleans up? Debating weather to order a new one for the shiney new series 4 or just the sports band and clean up my current one. I have neglected mine a bit, still looks great but thinking would I see a bigger difference in a brand new loop band over giving my current one a good polish

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Apple Watch series 4 silver aluminium ordered, delivers Monday 24th,

• Advertisement

Apple Watch Series 4 - 44mm Space Grey order, didn’t go live for me until about 8.06 or later so I was surprised to get a delivery date of Friday 21st of September.

Advertisement