Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless IP camera

Options
  • 12-09-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi guys
    New home security. Looking for advice. I've read umpteen pages back and I'm still not clear what I need.

what I'm looking to do is basic. I want 1 camera mounted under the eaves facing out the drive that will record the video.

can I do the following:

get a dome camera that records to SD card and backs up to the cloud before overwriting the sd card again (is this a subscription service) ? or do I need an nvr to record to then back up to the cloud?

from what Ive seen a 128gb card will record about 40+hrs at h.265

I was loking at something like this

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Check out Yi Cameras on Amazon.

Super cheap. Record 6 seconds of video to the cloud for free when motion detected. You can also put a SD card in for continuous recording to that. Also options to pay for more cloud recording.

If it is high up, then I think the combination of SD card and 6 seconds of cloud recording is probably enough.

Of course given the massive price difference, picture quality might not be up there quite as good as hikvision.

If you head over to the Home Automation forum, lots of folks over there have experience of various wireless IP cameras. Nest cams, Logitech Circle, Arlo, Blink, Yi Cameras, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Op,
    That Hikvision camera is an all embracing serious piece of kit. It is quite expensive though when the base price does not include bracket, sd card and other ancillary installation items, which themselves are expensive too.
    Still I might even be tempted ��.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

I know its expensive but I've bought enough imitation Chinese stuff to realise some things are worth the few bob, and it wouldn't be much good if the picture wasn't clear enough to identify what you need (person/car reg)

Are there any installation guides / tutorials you guys can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did you see the user manual on their website?
    This will give you a head start before you order it, if you decide to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Nice camera. One thing to note with domes that are vandal proof like that, the glass protecting them can appear to "fog up" in rain at nighttime as the IR lights used for night vision reflect and blind the camera. Similar can happen if exposed to direct sunlight.
    You can avoid the nighttime problems by leaving the IR leds off but then you have reduced night vision. Some lower MP (2 to 3MP) max are classified as "dark fighter" and use starlight or street lights more effectively so provide superior night vision through larger sensors and wider aperture lenses (f1. 2).
    After all, most of the interesting activity happens at night. Hikvision are straightforward enough to install if you know what you are doing. Some great info on www.ipcamtalk.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

I've since changed my mind to this or similar
    I'm looking at a turret cam because as you said there could be IR reflections, also the turret cam would blend in better with the soffit.

I think 8mp camera I first looked at would be overkill, and I would at most need 4mp and can probably get away with 2mp with a good lens/sensor

the 2mp with a 128gb card should give me 4 days continuous recording

a side issue is

the above camera will need an sd card (circa €35) and poe switch to provide power (circa €30)

Should i get a cheaper camera and a basic NVR instead? would be more reliable than the sd card?

Advertisement