Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep marts

• 12-09-2018 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

What sheep marts are on a Saturday apart from balintinglass. Want to sell some hoggets snd don't want to take day off work to sell them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Jimbo789

Headford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mountbellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

sea12 wrote:
    What sheep marts are on a Saturday apart from balintinglass. Want to sell some hoggets snd don't want to take day off work to sell them?

I can't understand why more marts haven't moved to Saturdays. I've been to Baltinglass but it is very inefficient and a poorly laid out mart

• Registered Users Posts: 28 timjack

Looking for the same or evening marts. I see Newport in Tipperary has evening mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Box09 wrote: »
    I can't understand why more marts haven't moved to Saturdays. I've been to Baltinglass but it is very inefficient and a poorly laid out mart

Truckers prefer the weekday mart where they can haul straight to the factory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Box09 wrote: »

obviously they're getting enough business on the weekdays.
    the factories accept lambs on sundays so they're not stuck just limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭grayh0und

Dingle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

ganmo wrote: »
    obviously they're getting enough business on the weekdays.
    the factories accept lambs on sundays so they're not stuck just limited.

If you send them in on Sunday though wouldn’t they kill out light on Monday when they empty overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If you send them in on Sunday though wouldn’t they kill out light on Monday when they empty overnight

they only empty out grass, and you shouldn't be sending lambs full of grass to the factory anyway.

You should see the amount of lambs left in the factory the night before. It makes no difference to kill out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

orm0nd wrote: »
    mountbellow

What's mount bellew like. Many pens of sheep there normally. Is it a buyers mart or a sellers. In others words are there farmers buying there or just sheep agents for factories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

Mounbellew is a big mart. Its a good mart to sell stores or breeding sheep. Not enough men there for heavy or factory lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mounbellew is a big mart. Its a good mart to sell stores or breeding sheep. Not enough men there for heavy or factory lambs.

Theres only one man to buy heavy lambs...

Correct

Correct

Just see Roscommon open aswell n a Saturday. Which would be better for selling hoggets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I don't know about mountbellew but Roscommon on a Saturday is a breeding sale. They have lamb sales on Wednesday.

They'd be good lowland sheep in Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is Baltinglass a good mart to buy store lambs in?

Is Baltinglass a good mart to buy store lambs in?

It's ok. Very slow and the design of Mart and parking is terrible.

It's the quality of the stock I'd be more concerned about.

Quality of sheep wouldnt be as good in mountbellew so its easier to stand out with nice sheep there.

• Advertisement

Quality of sheep wouldnt be as good in mountbellew so its easier to stand out with nice sheep there.

But would u have many buyers there legend. Is it a busy mart?

Plenty of buyers there for breeders. Neighbour was getting 140 for nice suffolk hoggets in tuam on a tuesday and got 169 for them in mounbellew 4 days later. Nice sheep sell very well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Aravo

ganmo wrote:
    they only empty out grass, and you shouldn't be sending lambs full of grass to the factory anyway.

It amazing to see the amount of grass, nuts, etc that the factories have to deal with after opening the carcass. Wonder what happens to it. No matter it's the farmer that pays the cost of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Aravo wrote: »
    It amazing to see the amount of grass, nuts, etc that the factories have to deal with after opening the carcass. Wonder what happens to it. No matter it's the farmer that pays the cost of it.

How long should they be left without feed to leave them empty?

Went to Roscommon. Very well run mart. Definitely the best and most efficient unloading system for sheep I've seen at any mart.

Big mart. Top price for Suffolk Hoggets 185€ few lots around 160 but vast majority around 130 -140 and lighter ones back to 110-120. Very good sheep in it.
    2 and 3 year old ewes were cheap. 100- 120.

Selling fat lambs in a few weeks time. Which is the best for me- Kilkenny, Baltinglass, Tullow or Roscrea? I got on well last year in Tullow. Bought in Baltinglass but it’s a Saturday. At least the others it would be straight to factory or butcher,?

Advertisement