Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Law Firm Milkrounds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

starbar91 wrote: »
    i must say - i'm absolutely lost as to what firms are looking for in interviews/apps? people in the same boat?

This has been the one year that I have gotten a lot of interviews but I have spent the whole year grinding my ass off to try and improve my CV. If you’re still an undergrad I wouldn’t stress. Having FE1s is helpful, as is a masters or some real world experience in finance or law or another related field. Part time jobs help massively to fill CV gaps. If you’re still in college apply for opportunities like internships or study abroad if they present themselves. Volunteer, have interests outside of the regular things that people tend to list. Do the free course the law society offer online every year, be yourself fully on the application and show your personality as well as being professional. Make sure all of your applications are immaculate and don’t have mistakes or repetition or cliche. It’s crap that you have to work so hard to get a traineeship but if it’s something you really want to do I think that persistence comes through massively. If you have any other specific questions I’d love to try and help you out as someone who has a good bit of experience with all of this. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Hi guys,

I'm a non-law graduate myself and am a bit lost with the milkrounds. I applied for a few of them, and have had one interview with Arthur Cox last week (which went horrifically - didn't like the group structure at all) and have McCanns next week. Still waiting to hear back from MHC and Matheson - think others in the same boat?

As McCanns is one-on-one, I'm hoping it goes a bit better. Does anyone have any advice/ tips on this?

This thread has helped me a lot so far so any advice would be really appreciated! :)

I don't know what McCann's are looking for, I didn't get an interview. But from what I've experienced so far it's a personality test almost, you have to seem like someone they want to work with. Know your own CV inside out and if you have the names of your interviewer look them up and see if they've written any recent articles in the business post etc. just to show that you are interested in them and their company and want to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

fe1hunzo wrote: »
    This has been the one year that I have gotten a lot of interviews but I have spent the whole year grinding my ass off to try and improve my CV. If you’re still an undergrad I wouldn’t stress. Having FE1s is helpful, as is a masters or some real world experience in finance or law or another related field. Part time jobs help massively to fill CV gaps. If you’re still in college apply for opportunities like internships or study abroad if they present themselves. Volunteer, have interests outside of the regular things that people tend to list. Do the free course the law society offer online every year, be yourself fully on the application and show your personality as well as being professional. Make sure all of your applications are immaculate and don’t have mistakes or repetition or cliche. It’s crap that you have to work so hard to get a traineeship but if it’s something you really want to do I think that persistence comes through massively. If you have any other specific questions I’d love to try and help you out as someone who has a good bit of experience with all of this. Best of luck!

Thank you - but i have all the above & a number of years professional experience to boot! it's baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Thanks so much - will keep that in mind for sure!

I imagine for me also, while they have made it clear that there won't be any technical legal questions, I think I may be prepared for questions around why I am switching disciplines and why a career in law etc. - I'm sure they ask law graduates the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Anyone who was unsuccessful after interview with A&L, make sure to ask them for feedback. It was so useful and the lady I spoke to was absolutely lovely

Anyone who was unsuccessful after interview with A&L, make sure to ask them for feedback. It was so useful and the lady I spoke to was absolutely lovely

That’s great. Will have to do this. Did you just email the recruitment team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

That’s great. Will have to do this. Did you just email the recruitment team?

Yeah I emailed the address at the bottom of the email I received! Grad recruitment something something

ByrneWallace interviews out by phone

• Registered Users Posts: 28 legaltraineex

ByrneWallace interview offers are being made by phone now. I just got the call there but declined the interview as I got lucky with A&L and accepted that offer.

• Advertisement

Aoibhin511 wrote: »

was it after 4pm they called you??

was it after 4pm they called you??

I got the call at 10 past 4.

I got the call at 10 past 4.

thank you! looking like another PFO on its way to my inbox :pac:

Congrats on your TC offer btw!! huge achievement.

ByrneWallace interview offers are being made by phone now. I just got the call there but declined the interview as I got lucky with A&L and accepted that offer.

How much have a&l offered

How much have a&l offered

Salary wise or trainee places?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Have you gotten your contract yet?

The physical contract in the post etc..

kasey0123 wrote: »
    The physical contract in the post etc..

I haven't yet! Just the draft in an email

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Thanks so much - will keep that in mind for sure!

I imagine for me also, while they have made it clear that there won't be any technical legal questions, I think I may be prepared for questions around why I am switching disciplines and why a career in law etc. - I'm sure they ask law graduates the same!

How do you know McCanns aren’t asking legal questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

Does anyone know what the ByrneWallace interview process is like? I know it’s a panel interview with competency based questions but does anyone have any insight into what type of questions are asked? Also is it one or two rounds? Thanks

Does anyone know what the ByrneWallace interview process is like? I know it’s a panel interview with competency based questions but does anyone have any insight into what type of questions are asked? Also is it one or two rounds? Thanks

All I know is that the panel interview is new for them this year, it used to be individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LegallyBlonde2

All I know is that the panel interview is new for them this year, it used to be individual.

It was a panel interview aswell last year! you introduce yourself (background/hobbies etc), then you give examples of situations where you used two of the following skills; organisation and planning skills, team work, decision making or initiative. then they asked why did you choose to study law and why did you apply to ByrneWallace

That was the format last year, it might be the same this year

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lamacg95

Congrats on getting an offer!! Just wondering is the offer subject to any conditions, i.e work references, college transcripts etc. or is it just a straight up offer?

lamacg95 wrote: »
    Congrats on getting an offer!! Just wondering is the offer subject to any conditions, i.e work references, college transcripts etc. or is it just a straight up offer?

It’s conditional on references being in order and grades as stated in the application

• Registered Users Posts: 17 law8

Have people still not heard anything from Matheson ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 lolo97

Has anyone heard back from Amoss yet?

law8 wrote: »
    Have people still not heard anything from Matheson ?

Nothing yet from them or a few others. Really though we would hear back today?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 keightlaw

Nothing yet from them or a few others. Really though we would hear back today?

Got an interview offer around 2:30 via email.

keightlaw wrote: »
    Got an interview offer around 2:30 via email.

have many others got interview offers? i've received nothing so presume it's a PFO

have many others got interview offers? i've received nothing so presume it's a PFO

Got an invite to interview round 2:30 aswell

• Advertisement

Out of interest has anyone had an offer already? And is still going to interview with other firms?

It’s conditional on references being in order and grades as stated in the application

Do you send these before acceptance ? Seems strange they’d wait almost a year to maybe then rescind ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Do you send these before acceptance ? Seems strange they’d wait almost a year to maybe then rescind ..

They only look for the grades you submitted in your application. As in they don't wait to see any grades you are going to receive in the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lamacg95

They only look for the grades you submitted in your application. As in they don't wait to see any grades you are going to receive in the coming year.
    Even leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dave2789

Anyone know what the McCann and Dillon Eustace interviews entail? Are there case studies we have to discuss or is it more of a straight chat?

Has anyone ever interviewed with WF before ? What are they like ?

Has anyone ever interviewed with WF before ? What are they like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 legalbeagle

Is anyone awaiting ByrneWallace offer or heard back to confirm unsuccessful? Just wondering if they're still i n the process of ringing back

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

MHC interviews are out

MHC interviews are out

Phone or email?

• Advertisement

Pinsent Mason interviews out too by emails

Anyone have any experience or know what to expect from Pinsent Masons assessment centres?

Anyone have any experience or know what to expect from Pinsent Masons assessment centres?

Dave2789 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the McCann and Dillon Eustace interviews entail? Are there case studies we have to discuss or is it more of a straight chat?

I had one with Dillon Eustace today. It's literally just a discussion of your application? Why law? What did you do when you worked at X company? How did you demonstrate team work through the extra curricular activities you listed in your application? That sort of thing. They interview a large number of candidates and so keep the interviews brief. Mine was 20 minutes.

keightlaw wrote: »

Well unless they interviewed with them in the UK I don't think anyone has. They only set up the Dublin office this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

What current affairs are people prepping?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coolusername95

Has anyone heard anything back from Hayes or Beauchamps?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Has anyone had their interview with McCann’s?

Any word from AMOSS still? Has anyone emailed them?

• Advertisement

Out of interest has anyone had an offer already? And is still going to interview with other firms?

I got an offer last week and went to two more interviews yesterday as I had already arranged them. Have been offered two other interviews but I think I will decline them since I accepted the first offer today.

Advertisement