Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver banned for 6 months for parking in a disabled spot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not the judges first time doing this, I knew who it would be before opening the link.

It is a totally disproportionate punishment compared to other driving offences - but there’s no excuse for parking in a disabled spot.

The joke here is that you’re totally at the mercy of whatever judge you get on the day, and their own personal crusades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Seems very severe, but the accused cared so little he didn't turn up to court...fair enough in this case so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Delighted, although the punishment is a bit severe. Regardless there's no excuse for parking in a disabled spot when you don't have any right to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Oh Ireland.
    Losing more respect everyday.

I’m sorry but I can’t take a country that you have to have a tv licence and also a dog licence, seriously. It’s embarassing for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Oh Ireland.

I’m sorry but I can’t take a country that you have to have a tv licence and also a dog licence, seriously. It’s embarassing for me

And you don't need a licence to own a child. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For what it’s worth I know of two cases where that judge lifted the relatively massive ban on appeal (6 months and 12 months)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good enough for the selfish prick

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

Glad to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just from reading the article I'd put money on a driving ban not bothering or phasing that individual one bit. He didn't even bother turning up in court. Probably won't bother with insurance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

colm_mcm wrote: »
    For what it’s worth I know of two cases where that judge lifted the relatively massive ban on appeal (6 months and 12 months)

Ah yeah I'm sure it'll be reduced on appeal but just to get the story and the culprit's name in the national news is a good result IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd guess the failure to show up helped in getting the 6 months...judges dont like you not showing up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

And you don't need a licence to own a child. Madness.

Garlic, madness

Strong fixed penalties such as stiff fine of a 300 hundred euro and 3 penalty points, doubling on unsuccessful appeal is probably more appropriate for this kind of offence- otherwise, it get's a bit Daily Mail-ish.

Publicise the penalties and you'll see a lot less people using disabled spaces. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh Ireland.

Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not turning up in court is hardly going to work out well for anyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Seems a bit excessive (though it was obviously a bad thing to do), but should've showed up in court or given a genuine reason why he didn't. Hard to have any sympathy with that attitude.

Advertisement