Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free checked bag airlines

Options
  • 13-09-2018 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Any airline that flies to the states has free checked baggage. aer lingus charge 100 euro

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Which Airlines Have No Baggage Fees? "As far as U.S. airlines go, only two permit their passengers to check bags for free. These are Cape Air and Southwest Airlines." September 11, 2018 updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I've flown with Delta from Dublin many times and never had to pay extra to check bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

I've flown with United and checked 2 bags for free. It stated 2 on the online booking, however the desk said the policy is 1, but they still checked them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

cena wrote: »
    Any airline that flies to the states has free checked baggage. aer lingus charge 100 euro

Baggage is included on flights to the states with Aerlingus on the "Smart" fare type, they introduced a new pricing tier with the option of not having checked baggage, "Saver", which is generally cheaper and if you want to add baggage you can.

A checked bag is included on the normal "Smart" Tier which is the old basic fare rate from what I remember.

One thing I did notice was that they now charge for selecting your transatlantic seats where before you just selected them when booking flights and there was no extra charge, now if you want to select your seats at the booking stage they charge you a fee like they would on any of their European flights.

This looks like they are beginning to go towards the Ryanair route of charging for items where they can :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Baggage is included on flights to the states with Aerlingus on the "Smart" fare type, they introduced a new pricing tier with the option of not having checked baggage, "Saver", which is generally cheaper and if you want to add baggage you can.

A checked bag is included on the normal "Smart" Tier which is the old basic fare rate from what I remember.

One thing I did notice was that they now charge for selecting your transatlantic seats where before you just selected them when booking flights and there was no extra charge, now if you want to select your seats at the booking stage they charge you a fee like they would on any of their European flights.

This looks like they are beginning to go towards the Ryanair route of charging for items where they can :p

Who does that?

Aer Lingus don't as I just booked flights from LAX > DUB for Christmas and wasn't charged to pick seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Sometime since May 17, United also introduced a new fare structure, cheapest fare has no checked baggage allowance, from memory the last time I checked it was 50 per checked bag, I think American airlines also charge now, they all seem to be at it now as very few travel transatlantic with just a carry on,
    Next time we go as a family of 4 we'll buy two with just carry on & two with checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Who does that?

Aer Lingus don't as I just booked flights from LAX > DUB for Christmas and wasn't charged to pick seats.

Aer Lingus.

I booked Dub to NYC back in Feb for a trip in a few weeks time. Normally when I book you choose you seats at the time of booking and that's it. I have done it for the last 3 years so not something new to me. But this year it actually charged me to select 2 seats together which was very strange to say the least.

It might be for certain destination's that they have changed it for, or unless I got d ay that the system was on the frtiz LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Who does that?

I am flying to DC on Tuesday and had to pay €40 each for my wife and I to select our seats so we could sit together.

If you dont it's pot luck if you get to sit with the rest of your travelling party.

HDMI wrote: »
    I am flying to DC on Tuesday and had to pay €40 each for my wife and I to select our seats so we could sit together.

If you dont it's pot luck if you get to sit with the rest of your travelling party.

Was it the base "saver" fare that doesn't include the bag or the next one up? I always get the ones with the bags, because, well Christmas and kids.

I booked 4 seats return from LAX to Dublin and wasn't charged to pick seats.

Now, I am travelling with 2 kids, one 3 and one 6. Maybe I don't get charged because of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Was it the base "saver" fare that doesn't include the bag or the next one up? I always get the ones with the bags, because, well Christmas and kids.

I booked 4 seats return from LAX to Dublin and wasn't charged to pick seats.

Now, I am travelling with 2 kids, one 3 and one 6. Maybe I don't get charged because of that?

Yes I think most airlines give free seat selection when travelling with kids under a certain age. BA are the same I believe.

• Advertisement

Yes I think most airlines give free seat selection when travelling with kids under a certain age. BA are the same I believe.

I wonder what the cutoff age is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I wonder what the cutoff age is?

I think it was 10 or 12 for BA.

I think it was 10 or 12 for BA.

Grand, then I have a few more years before I have to convince the wife for #3 in that case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Checked baggage allowances for major airlines: A simple guide, per Skyscanner August 12, 2018. See linked table. Remember: Such things often change.

Advertisement