Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Tropical Storm Helene 17/18 Sep 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pretty windy week ahead

60knot gusts likely in places

Strong enough 120 to 130kph

Already over 40knots tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

anybody been able to check the ECM? I can't atm

EDIT: just saw carlow weathers post, look like it shifted more east. So much shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

anybody been able to check the ECM? I can't atm

EDIT: just saw carlow weathers post, look like it shifted more east. So much shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Could Dublin flights become affected based on current projections?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM has tracked a bit more E on this run and winds not as strong and mostly staying off shore, the SE getting clipped by some strong gusts on this one but very fast moving system.

Pressure readings higher too as they reach Ireland and filling. Looks like a windy night along the coasts mostly atm

iLqI9GL.png

MKfVgog.png

zRDyViY.png

MRue9nl.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Just in from a late night in Cork and it's absolutely pouring rain with fairly significant gusts of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

yep, bucketing down in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

acequion wrote: »
    Very gusty here too in Kerry. We're all different but storms are a million miles from my idea of excitement.

Me too; lost loved ones and they remind me. and thinking f those who have to be out in all weathers safeguarding us.

Last night here was appallingly windy and wild. A real autumnal gale. Hour after hour of it. Sheer savage noise.

West Mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Remember, these are 1-minute mean speeds, so about 10% higher than the equivalent 10-minute mean we use.

al082018.18091518.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is a huge difference depending on where you live. I am by the sea, West of Galway. It's called the Wild Atlantic Way for a reason. Last night was just a typical autumn gale & Helene probably will be the same.

Headline news Wet & windy night in Connemara :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Wednesday looking much worse than Helene now on latest runs, interesting week ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Villain wrote: »
    Wednesday looking much worse than Helene now on latest runs, interesting week ahead!

I what way ? Wind, rain or both ? I am trying to plan my week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

Villain wrote: »

I'm flying out of Dublin on Wednesday morning, will be keeping an eye on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like Waterford is going to get this square on, my tomato plant! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I am supposed to be travelling Tuesday, Wednesday and wondering where this is going to have the worst effects, I am thinking Cork, Waterford, Maybe Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

at least no one will be getting married on monday night / early hrs of tuesday morning so we might get a bit of peace .

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Im in Waterford and just finished a walk in Tramore where the waves are wild but it's as warm as a summers day. Hard to believe a storm is on the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models starting to show an increased wind field over the South of the country . WRF would be a good representation of the way they are trending. Lots of changes in the models over the last couple of days as the remnants of Helene get absorbed by the larger area of LP. Probably see this evolve right up to the end.

tempresult_rui3.gif

nmmuk-25-69-0_rkg1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Met Eireann, saying Mayo and Galway will be worst hit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Oops69 wrote: »
    at least no one will be getting married on monday night / early hrs of tuesday morning so we might get a bit of peace .

I’m going to London from Dublin on Tuesday so if it affects me I might start moaning! Doesn’t look like it should aside from the weather being a bit crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

goat2 wrote: »
    Met Eireann, saying Mayo and Galway will be worst hit
    Bring it on, we can take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still a decent circulation to her today

C28509_E2_EC3_A_4_DD4_97_A7_DCB5_D80_C14_DA.jpg

https://www.met.ie/met-eireann-briefing-regarding-ex-tropical-storm-helene-at-midday-on-sunday-16th-september

However, it is possible that yellow level warning criteria may be reached in counties Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Dublin, Meath and Louth. Suitable warnings will be issued if necessary.

So yeah not a thing to be worried about if all goes to plan

https://www.met.ie/met-eireann-briefing-regarding-ex-tropical-storm-helene-at-midday-on-sunday-16th-september

However, it is possible that yellow level warning criteria may be reached in counties Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Dublin, Meath and Louth. Suitable warnings will be issued if necessary.

So yeah not a thing to be worried about if all goes to plan

so our yellow warnings re heavy rain for Mayo and Galway ? Nothing to do with Helene?

Graces7 wrote: »
    so our yellow warnings re heavy rain for Mayo and Galway ? Nothing to do with Helene?

Not sure grace. It says 'Associated weather fronts' which is what the warnings for Galway and Mayo are for. To me that sounds like a different system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Graces7 wrote: »

It could from Helene, the heavy rain is on the storm's west side while the strong winds are on its east and south side. I'm not fully sure because of the time the warnings are valid for.

Hi Res models coming into view now. Looks like a breezy/ windy day across the country on Monday ( blustery in showers ), strongest winds along coasts, SE might get some high winds for a short time Mon night.

tempresult_yaf4.gif

tempresult_ouf6.gif

i3H0mvH.gif

ZHdzYEr.gif

jeqyCJY.gif

SMA9OaS.gif

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It could from Helene, the heavy rain is on the storm's west side while the strong winds are on its east and south side. I'm not fully sure because of the time the warnings are valid for.

Not that it matters! The evening performance is just starting up anyways... at least we had a sweet day... Deluges and gusts.... West mayo. offshore island.

Advertisement