Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Tropical Storm Helene 17/18 Sep 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Helene is the apetiser, there is an increasing risk storm Ali will make more headlines next week, as it packs a ''punch'',(christ i cringed as i typed that)

somethings a brewing tuesday/wednesday or thursday/friday timing wise.

Anyways be prepared for horrific boxing puns next week.

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

ukgust.png

goat2 wrote: »
    Met Eireann, saying Mayo and Galway will be worst hit

helene looks like dieing a death on the latest gfs,very weak as it impacts ireland.

ukgust.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The remnants of Helene, some nice convection but getting shredded.

ff2datM.jpg

WkWvTV1.gif

ekkpH6z.gif

SQt6Shc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I'm sure we had a few practice runs coming up to Ophelia aswell.... interesting week ahead for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Pity the weather has to go to pot now.

Lucky this storm will pass before I go to Belfast Tuesday.

FFS for Wednesday

I have Game of Thrones Tour. Might be cancelled if that chart is correct. Can't plan for anything in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Following close behind Helene is Joyce, which is going to affect the Azores as a tropical depression tonight more directly than Helene did last night. Fizzing out to nothing by tomorrow.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/loop.asp?product=4kmirimg&storm_identifier=AL102018&starting_image=2018AL10_4KMIRIMG_201809161200.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've a wedding to attend next Saturday !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Suppose it's time to take down the little fellas trampoline so.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I've a wedding to attend next Saturday !!

Good for u

• Advertisement

Helene has become post-tropical now and will be fully extratropical and strengthen slightly overnight as it becomes baroclinic. The HWRF has been very consistent regarding its track and has been trending towards slight weakening in intensity over the past two days.

2018AL08_HWRFDIAG_201809160600.png

The official forecast has max 40-kt (1-minute) winds by midnight tomorrow.

This will be a routine autumn depression for us, passing through very quickly. More widespread winds for more people later in the week.

al082018.18091606.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Helene has become post-tropical now and will be fully extratropical and strengthen slightly overnight as it becomes baroclinic. The HWRF has been very consistent regarding its track and has been trending towards slight weakening in intensity over the past two days.

The official forecast has max 40-kt (1-minute) winds by midnight tomorrow.

This will be a routine autumn depression for us, passing through very quickly. More widespread winds for more people later in the week.

As one of the more realistic / non-hype amateur forecasters who has been quite clear about your thoughts on climate "change" - do you read anything into the fact that regardless of intensity, 3 tropical cyclones have been spat directly at us in the last 12 months?

If Helene or Ernesto had been more powerful when tropical, we would have had more on our plate than mere remnants, like with Ophelia.

Random probability? Or sign of more frequent storms of tropical origin finding their way into our neighbourhood in future seasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just watching the forecasts on RTE and BBC, the latter seems to be dismissing this as nothing much to write home about with only the far NW as usual getting a real dose. They also seem much more certain of how quickly it'll move through than met.ie

sdanseo wrote: »
    As one of the more realistic / non-hype amateur forecasters who has been quite clear about your thoughts on climate "change" - do you read anything into the fact that regardless of intensity, 3 tropical cyclones have been spat directly at us in the last 12 months?

If Helene or Ernesto had been more powerful when tropical, we would have had more on our plate than mere remnants, like with Ophelia.

Random probability? Or sign of more frequent storms of tropical origin finding their way into our neighbourhood in future seasons?

It's not in any way unusual. We've been getting extratropical remnants for as far back as records go. Ironically, in 2006 we got 3 in the same season; Florence, Gordon and Helene. In 2000 we got Leslie and...again...Helene (can't get rid of that bitch). Go back through the decades and the list continues. Debbie in 1961 was the strongest ever and set wind records that stand to this day.

461429.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Helene is just a clingy girlfriend that Ireland doesn't want. Third time lucky? I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Helene is just a clingy girlfriend that Ireland doesn't want. Third time lucky? I think not!
    Helene of Troy harder......
    I'm glad it'll pass through quickly and not be too much to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Seems a bit unnecessary to be using the word "bitch" out of nowhere, but I'm sure I'm just overly sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Artane2002

MJohnston wrote: »
    Seems a bit unnecessary to be using the word "bitch" out of nowhere, but I'm sure I'm just overly sensitive.

Personally I don't mind as long as the intentions aren't harmful but everyone has a different view on that.

Back on topic... Hurricane Helene in 1958 tracked to the south of Ireland too! That was a Category 4 hurricane which caused damage across the East Coast of the USA (no direct landfall though). It dissipated to our south.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Jesus. Give over FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Norton Family Protect was supposed to rid me of this filth. They'll be hearing from me.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

Jesus. Give over FFS.

Nope!

Sorry, I meant to type b***h but this damn autocorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yes, you are. Storms are nasty btches and bastards.

Or they're just nasty storms, which seems adequate to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Can we get back to focusing on Helene?

donal.hunt wrote: »
    Can we get back to focusing on Helene?

Can't, there's no model updates for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Wow the hype has truly died, no posts in 10 hours. I guess that means it's just a normal windy afternoon with no unusual effects? On to the next one so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its filled and died a death bar the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so apart from the top north west corner, the rest of the country will be alright ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Whoa there folks, not so fast...for anyone flying to Portugal or Spain, the threat still remains high...

Advertisement