Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight training and cycling

Options
  • 13-09-2018 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'm currently getting back into weight training, partly to help rehab a shoulder injury but also just for general fitness and well-being. I am doing stronglifts 5x5 which is programme of squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press and overhead press.

I'm currently also doing a charity cycling challenge so I need to complete at least 11km per day this month until I hit about 480km for the month.

I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned the squats are going to affect my cycling/cause an injury as I'm having to cycle that distance every day and I can feel it in my legs even without weight training. I also felt a slight twinge this morning in my outer knee from the squats so it has me putting the brakes on a bit. I'm thinking of avoiding the squats for now and focussing on the other exercises and cycling.

Once this challenge is over, I plan to reduce my distance back down and just do 11km every other day or something.

Anyone here combine weights and cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I'm getting back to something similar to yourself after 2 years away (from weights). Starting easy and after the first session feel the back (suspect from the deadlifts).

While the program didn't get me going noticeably faster on the bike it was great for general well being and health. I had a left hip replacement in 2011 and it never felt as solid as it did when doing the weights program in 2015/2016.

Hernia caused me to stop in 2016 and I put this down to mainly deadlifting with a trap bar (which allowed me go much heavier than with a barbell). As soon as I cut out weight training the Hernia disappeared.

Provisional plan for now is to keep weights going over the winter without going too heavy and then ease of or stop in Spring when I start getting into more intense cycling intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I combine the 2, albeit I'm competitive in neither. I cycle ~20km a day with the occasional 100km+ at the weekend if the weather is nice. I'll generally do 4 days in the gym (push, pull or legs on any given day).

11km a day will not be impacted by any gym work you do as long as you don't go absolutely balls to the wall every day. Weight training will compliment you on the bike in terms of helping your posture and being stronger and all the rest of it.

You're overthinking it imo. You might find it slightly more difficult at the start but your body will quickly adapt and by the end of the month you'll feel like you can add in more cycling distance or gym time, assuming you sleep and eat relatively well.

I did squats and deadlifts this morning, I'm half thinking of going for a 200km ride on Saturday. I'm a terrible athlete/cyclist so if I can manage that anyone can manage 11km + some gym work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

I squat regularly and cycle. If you are squatting correctly there should be no issues (knee twinge might indicate something wrong with your form).
    Obviously legs may be tired after a heavy squat day or longer cycle so plan accordingly(recovery/slow spin or lighter squat day). Very rare to pull a muscle on a bike (if that's a concern) due to the controlled range of movement. Cramping may be an issue though. If you are new to cycling you may get aches (back/neck/elbows etc), stretching and a bike fit can help with those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I've been doing the weights for a while and I think my form is ok. Having said that I did the workout this morning for the first time and my legs felt stiff and tired before starting. Previously I've always done the workout in the evenings after a bit of a cycle so I was probably not woken enough and warmed up/flexible enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The TrainerRoad podcast has covered it a bit. Their recommendations was to prioritise which is most important, and try to space them apart. I'm planning on trying to incorporate some strength training, as i definitely notice when running with frequency of niggles when I don't, and it does kinda concern me that weaknesses/ imblances will be slower to show with cycling, and then blow up rather than running. I brought the core advantage - leafed through - put back down and went out on the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The TrainerRoad podcast has covered it a bit. Their recommendations was to prioritise which is most important, and try to space them apart. I'm planning on trying to incorporate some strength training, as i definitely notice when running with frequency of niggles when I don't, and it does kinda concern me that weaknesses/ imblances will be slower to show with cycling, and then blow up rather than running. I brought the core advantage - leafed through - put back down and went out on the bike!

You've hit it there. I've 3 niggles at the moment, nothing serious but I suspect they will disappear with weights a couple of times a week. There are more hidden than obvious benefits (from a cyclists perspective) to be got through a weights program

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague was saying he found pilates more useful than weights for dealing with niggles, also good for core strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

a colleague was saying he found pilates more useful than weights for dealing with niggles, also good for core strength.

Before anyone, but especially someone primarily sedentary with cycling as their exercise, starts weight training they should assess their mobility and work on that. It will be poor, especially hips.

Building strength on top of poor mobility is a really bad idea, but very common. Better to spend money on advice at start than physios latter on.

If strength is a goal a properly structured program will be light years ahead of pilates/yoga. A good program will involve mobility and flexibility work. Pilates/yoga have their benefits of course.

OP if you are having niggles, especially with knee on squat; STOP.

Get good advice, get a good gym and work from there.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057390022/2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The likes of strong lifts or 5x5 will work the core pretty solidly too in fairness. They're based around compound lifts. Also, weight bearing exercise is pretty important for bone health.

I think pilates can depend to be honest. My physio modified exercises for me to make sure the glutes were firing, as the traditional ones (like clams), I was looking right doing them, but still firing from the hamstrings.

I try to do a S&C class once a week, which is with a qualified S&C instructor (doing his masters now). I am still planning on incorporating core exercises and mobility as well. It's just mentally harder somehow to make time for that, than a turbo session or a run or whatever.

Advertisement