Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID 1 vs Sync Software

Options
  • 13-09-2018 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

On my current media/file server I have 2 10TB hard drives, I thought about using RAID 1 for redundancy, but in the end settled on using sync software running in the background instead to sync all the files I want backed up from the 1st drive into the 2nd drive.

To me this seems like the best setup, all the benefits of RAID 1 without having to worry about the array or configuration. Both drives are also completely independent of the motherboard.

Curious if anyone here is using RAID 1? Are there any benefits to using it over the Syncing method? I haven't really ever used RAID before - I had a RAID 0 setup running about 10 years ago but got rid of it since I didn't like the drives being dependent on the motherboard.

Advertisement