Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB & Google Pay, Not!

Options
  • 13-09-2018 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

pTSB as most are aware are not part of any of the online payment systems , Google Pay or Apple Pay. I have been using Google Pay with Revolut since June and find it great.

I called into the Douglas Cork branch of pTSB yesterday to try and get an update of the availability of Google Pay. Off the assistant went to check and came back with the response "what is Google Pay?" Nobody in the branch had heard of it.:eek: I stood there with my mouth open thinking I can't believe this. I had expected the usual 'we don't have it right now but hope to sometime in the future' but the response I got really indicated how far behind the times pTSB actually are. If corporate pTSB are like this I can't see much of a future for the bank.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

The folks in the branch should have personal knowledge of Google Pay but would be unlikely to know the corporate position

Technology in PTSB is ironically all driven out of Cork but they are supporting systems that are 50-year old technology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭bromley52

homer911 wrote: »
    The folks in the branch should have personal knowledge of Google Pay but would be unlikely to know the corporate position

Technology in PTSB is ironically all driven out of Cork but they are supporting systems that are 50-year old technology

The assistant at the customer service desk had never heard of it. I had to explain what it did. She said no one else had heard of it either.
    I couldn't get over that these individuals are working for a supposedly modern bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lots of people have no idea what Google Pay is. People who use it still get funny looks from shop assistants, indicating that it's still in its early phases and its use isn't all that widespread. This is probably because people still like having a physical card, and tapping to pay is still a novelty.

There's also no major advertisement about it, so if PTSB don't do it, and all of the staff (likely) have PTSB accounts, then chances are most of them have never heard of Google Pay/Apple Pay.

This is one of those things that will appear one day, the staff will get 30 minutes training on it, and hey presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

In fairness the prep work for introducing Google pay could well and truly be underway at a high level and the person behind the counter would be non the wiser. They'll surely bring it in eventually but you were never going to get an official announcement off someone in a branch without seeing a hint of it online first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

So you don't think there is any future for a bank because they haven't embraced a function you've being using for all of 3 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Bro, you walked into an actual physical bank branch. You can't call anyone else a troglodyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

People who use it still get funny looks from shop assistants, indicating that it's still in its early phases and its use isn't all that widespread.

I have used Google Pay for 90% of my payments since inception. Funny looks did occur at the start but not anymore. Mobile wallet payments are becoming more widespread.

Advertisement