Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking out storage heaters and putting in oil heating

Options
  • 13-09-2018 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

We have seen a house we love but it has storage heaters. They are really olds need replacing. We are thinking of changing it to oil heating. Has anyone done this in a 3 bed semi. Just wondering of cost etc. Was it worth it. The pipes would have to go along walls rather than did up floors. Thanks

Comments

You are going to end up ripping holes in floors and walls to run the pipe work. Could be a good time to insulate with warm board if the house needs extra insulation?

Consider a gas boiler instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You also need to consider security for the oil tank: it can be a very expensive form of heating if your oil gets stolen regularly.

Arecthe storage heaters actually broken, or kust ugly? Covers could be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

Is gas more efficient. We have seen another house with gas but it’s from a communal tank. I’ve heard it can work out more expensive than mains gas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Is gas more efficient. We have seen another house with gas but it’s from a communal tank. I’ve heard it can work out more expensive than mains gas

I would go for
    1. Mains gas.
    2. Oil fired with concealed tank and boiler
    3. New electric heaters.

to convert to oil fired from electric males having to install a boiler and an oil storage tank and allow for access to refill the tank. I would put the tank into a shed with a locked door. I would also keep the boiler under lock and key. It is very disruptive in a house to retrofit central heating. Ideally, radiators should be installed under Windows which means the pipes have to traverse the entire floor of the room to reach the radiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

We have storage heaters in our apartment at the moment and find it so expensive! I think the guys above are right being all the work that would need to be considered if you want to switch. But I don’t believe it can’t be done. I would be in favour of gas over oil and electric also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement