Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of Inquest after apparent Suicide

Options
  • 13-09-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I’m just wondering if anyone can share their experience of attending an inquest after death by suicide. Not looking for personal details just an idea if what to expect? I’m currently waiting to hear back from the coroners office with a date expected in October.
    I intend to be at the inquest but I’d like to be prepared for what it might entail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The inquest will look into the following only.

To establish the facts surrounding the death;
    To place those facts on the public record; and
    To make findings on:
    (a) the identification of the deceased

(b) the date and place of death, and

(c) the cause of death.

Certain persons can ask questions of the coroner dependent upon their relationship to the deceased and the circumstance of the bereavement.
    There is good information available at
    http://www.coroner.ie/en/cor/pages/inquests

I note you say an "apparent" suicide.
    In the coroner's court the burden of proof for declaring death by suicide is very high.
    Without clear and unmistakable evidence of the deceased's actual intent to end their life it is likely that the verdict would be misadventure.

In real terms barring any unforeseen circumstance, the main outcome of the inquest will be the issuance of a death certificate.

I am sorry for your loss, and I hope the day itself goes easy for you.

Advertisement