Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative accommodation while works are carried out?

Options
  • 13-09-2018 12:40pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is some water damage in the apartment I rent and some others in the block. The estate agents managed it through the buildings insurance and works have started. The workers have said it'll take longer than they thought, at least a few more days in which we will have no water, no toilet, no shower, no floors, air filled with dust and so on. I worry that'll continue through the weekend etc. Are there usually any obligations for alternative accommodation in cases like this, via the insurance etc?

I've queried the estate agents but have yet to get any reply.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is this a rather rare thing? Estate agents still haven't got back to me, not surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Do you have a home insurance policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There is some water damage in the apartment I rent and some others in the block. The estate agents managed it through the buildings insurance and works have started. The workers have said it'll take longer than they thought, at least a few more days in which we will have no water, no toilet, no shower, no floors, air filled with dust and so on. I worry that'll continue through the weekend etc. Are there usually any obligations for alternative accommodation in cases like this, via the insurance etc?

I've queried the estate agents but have yet to get any reply.

Yes, all apartment blocks would have cover for alternative insurance if the property is not habitable.

The argument is now whether it's uninhabitable or just a bit inconvenient.

If there is no running water then I would be of the opinion that it isn't habitable and therefore you and the other residents effected should be accommodated in a hotel until all works are complete.

Advertisement