Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Beginner

Options
  • 13-09-2018 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just a quick question. I’m new to cycling, and I’m looking for some advice re. cycling gear.

I’ve bought a gravel/adventure bike (I know it may be looked down upon by serious road racer types, but it suits the type of cycling I’d like to do), but I’m a little stumped by the clothing end of things.

I’d like to wear loose fit bike shorts, with padding if possible, but there seems to be only two options; buy a branded pair with good reviews for big money, or buy a random chinese brand from the usual suspects with no idea of the quality I’ll be getting.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a reasonably priced pair of loose fit cycle shorts of good quality.

Thanks in advance

Comments

I wear a loose boardman pair (halfords) on shorter spins or just because I feel like wearing loose shorts sometimes on my road bike. Paid maybe 30 euro for them I think. Nothing to compare them to really but I do find them very comfortable.

Lild had some a few weeks back and they usually leave that stuff on the shelf a while until it sells so you might find some there for pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Absolutely nothing wrong with a gravel bike?

Check out wiggle.co.uk. Their “DHB” own brand clothing is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got a pair in decathlon in spain for about 20 quid. quality is fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gravel bikes are probably a lot of peoples n+1 (there's even a kick back against n+1, and gravel bikes are seen as a decent do all), so I wouldn't worry about that.

I've had mixed experiences of Ali bib shorts (which is what I wear under baggy's if mountain biking too). All have been ok for commutes (which is for me about 12km each way), but some are better than others. As a rule of thumb, plain padding isn't that great, but the ones that have been muilt coloured "gel"/ "9d" ones have been ok actually! In my experience, I can get away with lesser good padding off road, as you're not so static.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated. I had a quick look at the boardman shorts in Halfords all right, but didnt really know what I was looking for (or at :D).

Pretty excited tbh, looking forward to getting out and covering some miles, especially if i can find some suitable off road routes to try

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Royal Canal. Moyvalley to Clondara, all off road 90+ km. Gravel bike not necessary, but good for doing a decent off road spin with no hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Absolutely nowt wrong with a gravel bike, they're great fun.

If I were you I'd buy a few pairs of padded shorts or undershorts and wear whatever shorts you fancy over the top of them - allows you to wash the padded shorts separately from the overshorts. I'm a fan of Decathlon myself, which range you choose will be driven by the distances you do. The "Produit Bleu" (as they are in France, can't remember what they are here) are dirt cheap, and fine for a short commute, "100" or "300" would be similarly fine for short distance. "500" tend to be better made with better pads etc, while "700" and "900" are the performance end. As a compromise I find the "500" range good value and fine for 2-3 hours on the bike, plus they last well - I've a few pairs still going fine after about 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Gravel bikes are far from being frowned upon. I bought one last year and prefer riding it to my other 3 bikes including my 'best bike' Its much more comfortable, almost as fast and more versatile especially when riding on poorer surfaces on country roads. On the few times I've commuted to work, I used it too.

As for gear, like mentioned above, DHB range on wiggle is very good value and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

cletus wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the boardman shorts in Halfords all right, but didnt really know what I was looking for (or at :D).

These are good i find (haven't tried long days in them though) but not cheap really at €50
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/shorts-trousers/boardman-mens-mtb-shorts-black

• Advertisement

Thanks very much again lads and ladies. My impression that it might not be well thought of was from trawling around some other forums on the interwebz.

Any bikes I've had previous to this were mountain bikes, and only really used for short commuting etc. I had the opportunity to ride a road bike a while back, and while I was impressed with the weight, gear ratios and general ability to cover miles, I still felt like I wanted something to deal with canal tow paths, wood tracks, or just Irish country lanes and back roads. Imagine my delight when I found bikes built just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Madison stuff is good too.

Think I’ll push my luck out a bit further. Any recommendations for a set of mudguards that would be easy to put on/take off as and when needed, or should i just put them on and forget about them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Get a good set and leave them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Definitely off topic but what gravel bikes have people here bought? Considering one with max budget of 1000-1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I absolutely love my Cannondale Slate. the most versatile and adaptable bike I've ever owned. Good on road, good off road.

I still use my road bike for very long or fast rides, but overall I think I prefer my gravel bike if I had to choose.

To the OP, there are an absolute wealth of logging roads and dirt roads in the Wicklow mountains if you live in the Dublin area.. I and others have shared some of our routes here in this thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057826950

If hills are not your thing, the Royal Canal is a great, mostly dirt spin. The only tricky part is the Deep Sinking just past Blanchardstown, where it gets a bit rooty and rocky. Also a lovely flatish spin is to follow the river Dodder out as far as you can go in the Glenasmole Valley. You'll go through parks, roads, dirt roads etc.

But if you want some more tips for nice mixed road surface routes you can send me a message if you like, I'm happy to share.

Advertisement