Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dampness on ceiling

• 13-09-2018 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Looking over a house to rent and this is on the ceiling over the stove? is it dampness or smoke damage or something else?
    167vb6a.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

Leak

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Rockfish wrote:
    Looking over a house to rent and this is on the ceiling over the stove? is it dampness or smoke damage or something else?

What is above it? Shower, bath, hot press?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What is above it? Shower, bath, hot press?

Attic. Under the water tank i think, looking at the roof directly outside this area, wooden fascia is all ripped off and rotten too.

It looks like something has leaked & dried out dozens of times. My guess is the bath or shower. If this is the case & it wasn't fixed then it will be wet every time you use the shower/bath

I'm guessing the landlord wont be painting the place before you move in. It's terrible things tenants have to put up with while paying top dollar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Rockfish wrote: »
    Attic. Under the water tank i think, looking at the roof directly outside this area, wooden fascia is all ripped off and rotten too.

Its likely a tank leak or roof leak around the chimney. Nobody will know for sure without getting into the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

rovertom wrote: »
    Its likely a tank leak or roof leak around the chimney. Nobody will know for sure without getting into the attic.

Thats the problem, i cant get up into the attic, its very low and my back isnt able for it. I actually know the plumber that insulated the attic etc a few years ago. Might give him a shout

Photo isn't great but if it has been getting wet & drying out (I think I can see rings suggesting so) then it will most likely be the roof. If it's the tank it'll be wet all the time & not drying out

To be honest I'd be looking elsewhere to rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If the owner or their agent can't be bothered to rectify it before showing the place to prospective new tenants, it shows they don't really give a damn about the place.
    Unless it is being rectified before you move in find somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Unfortunately I think this may be the reality of renting in the current climate. I am sure there is a queue of renters waiting and willing to overlook issues like this.
    I would think it maybe a chimney issue maybe flashing. As another poster suggested it is probably getting wet occasionally and being dried out possibly by the stove & flue. Unless the problem is addressed you will be stuck with this staining. On the hand perhaps the repair was done but the ceiling stains ignored.
    If the latter then you can buy paint to mask water stains. Try to get more info from the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Another way of looking at it is that you don't need to care if the landlord doesn't care. Living there and owning it are 2 different things. Have a look externally to see any repairs E. G. New roof tiles above it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement