Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help i.d. pest inside squash

Options
  • 13-09-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, no photos.

Cut open a ball squash today, and saw some small black cylindrical shapes, which under 10x magnifier, were some kind of insect. Segmented bodies, antenna.

I don't believe they're squash bugs, not sure we have them in Ireland (I'm in West Kerry), and I've not seen any adults. The plants themselves have gone crazy this year with the warm summer, harvesting a couple good sized squash per day pretty much since the beginning of August. A couple squashes got huge fast and ended up as seed squash when they hit 8.25" diameters.

The squash were started from seed. Also known as 'ball zucchini.'

TIA for recommendations. I'm not planning on doing anything other than keeping an eye on things, the plants are finally starting to fade some and I'll probably end up uprooting them and composting them in the next month or so.

Here's the squash: goo.gl/Svd1c9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

A wasp of some kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Very likely woodlouse/woodlice. They get into strawberries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thanks. Since the yard is teeming with them, and earwigs, that's a great guess. I know they're both useful for their roles in recycling. Earwigs, however... uggh!

Advertisement