Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless dynamo wheelset

Options
  • 13-09-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any links or suggestions for tubeless wheelsets with a dynamo?

It'll be on the Croix de Fer, so I'll probably be running 32/35mm tyres with commuting and a prospective bit of gravel riding the aim (I need both front and back as the stock wheels are clincher only). There are a few options on Bike Components, but they all seem to be clinchers (bar an Open Pro UST with a SON). Probably looking at a Shimano or Shutter Precision hub (tempted by SON but they're probably a bit pricier than my present kilometrage would warrant). I could well be missing something, but I for some reason find the search functionality on most of the German sites a bit hit and miss

Other option of course is handbuilt, I did get a quote from The Cycle Clinic (UK) but he seems to have a big lead time at the minute.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hand built and go to humphries or bee cycles if you're in Dublin.

Or check Spa cycles,and possibly sjs cycles in the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'd go handbuilt in your position and do something like the following
    *pick your dynamo hub first, talk to your wheelbuilder but from memory the shimano or SON hubs will give a better bracing angle than the SP, and all other things being equal a stronger wheel
    *any wide (20mm internal or so)dt Swiss, Kinlin will be lovely with wide tyres and without breaking bank. Thus very limited mechanic was able to put together pretty durable wheels using dt Swiss 460 rims, which are cheap. Maybe choose a rim with eyelets, again speak to wheelbuilder
    *even though modern rims, especially those with a little depth, are very strong I'd still spec a high spoke count. No reason not to use 32 or 36 on a workhorse
    *for rear hub just get something that matches. I like the ease of service of shimano hubs but there are plenty durable cartridge hubs to. I have an entry level miche front hub untouched in over 40k km plus. DRC wheels talks up the sealing of their own hubs but I've no experience of them
    *get wheelbuilder to order everything so your contract is with him for everything

For a commuter I wouldn't be breaking bank but you'd never regret buying good quality components either if you'll use it year round. Enjoy the process

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

For the handbuilt option, check out Roger Musson's wheelbuilding guide. Costs a tenner, gives you the full info including plans to make your own truing stand and gauges.

I've used it to spec and build my dynamo wheel which has given me in excess of 20,000km of trouble free riding since. I've since replaced rims, swapped hubs on a number of wheels and I'm very happy with the results.

Well worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

IMHO, either go for Shimano or save up for the SON - I didn't find the SP hubs that great. They are nice & light and look better than the Shimano ones but the bearing sealing is poor enough and bearing replacement is supposedly a back-to-the factory job (though I've never met anyone who had it done). After a couple of wet winters, including flooded roads, the bearings got gritty and loose - before the dynamo components eventually shat themselves anyway.

I replaced it with a SON, though admittedly the pricing is getting increasingly ridiculous.

For commuting, a 32 spoke Shimano hub with DT Swiss R460 db rim should tick all the boxes, but you could check Rose Bikes for what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Thanks all.

Handbuilt seems to be the way to go - I had a trawl through the Rose site (awful search on the new site), but anything I could see was built on non-tubeless rims. I'm waiting on a reply from SJS, I'm down in Waterford so while I've heard great things about Bee cycles, it's probably not really an option. I did just drag from the recesses of my memory that the LBS prided himself on wheelbuilding so I must have a chat with him at the weekend.

Those Kinlin rims do look nice - seems to be what The Cycle Clinic use at their mainstay, and seemingly Hunt use them as well. The book looks interesting, and I might pick it up as reference, though I probably won't tackle a build myself at this point (4 year old who's just developed a liking for whacking his sisters with things + a box of spokes - what could possibly got wrong!)

As this rate I might even still manage a crack at that trail around Tickincor that ford2600 posted on the gravel thread recently before winter sets in - though that'll probably result in me looking for a bigger cassette/smaller crankset :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

JMcL wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Handbuilt seems to be the way to go - I had a trawl through the Rose site (awful search on the new site), but anything I could see was built on non-tubeless rims. I'm waiting on a reply from SJS, I'm down in Waterford so while I've heard great things about Bee cycles, it's probably not really an option. I did just drag from the recesses of my memory that the LBS prided himself on wheelbuilding so I must have a chat with him at the weekend.

Those Kinlin rims do look nice - seems to be what The Cycle Clinic use at their mainstay, and seemingly Hunt use them as well. The book looks interesting, and I might pick it up as reference, though I probably won't tackle a build myself at this point (4 year old who's just developed a liking for whacking his sisters with things + a box of spokes - what could possibly got wrong!)

As this rate I might even still manage a crack at that trail around Tickincor that ford2600 posted on the gravel thread recently before winter sets in - though that'll probably result in me looking for a bigger cassette/smaller crankset :-)

On choice,
    *you can email Rose your exact spec and they will build it for you.
    *in your county town there is a very good wheelbuilder, he's mad as a hatter and can be slow at times though
    *a long with the previous guys mentioned 23mm.co.uk is well regarded by the UK audax gang. You can spec your wheelset using his site, depending on rim/disc, through axle/quick release, rims, spokes etc. It all goes well until the £55 postage charge! Bit of fat on some parts prices to, but you can still put a shimano dynamo N80 and xt rear hub with DT swiss tubeless rims together for £250 before the postage.

BTW be in good shape for Ticincor; the road version is handy in comparsion :pac:

Advertisement