Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Ah I’m not overly concerned. It feels like a software bug so could be sorted quickly. My bet is someone forgot to add a battery management component to the allow to run in the background list 😂

But if it was software would all the phones not be showing the same signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    But if it was software would all the phones not be showing the same signs?

I thought so too but people who are saying software bug are far more knowledgable than I.

And I've always been quick in the past to update Apple software and I've never encountered bugs that other did who also updated. So maybe other factors come into it other than just having the software version,

Mr.S wrote: »
    12.1 beta seems to fix the issue for users who have the charging problem.

That said, if you rocked up to an Apple Store today with the problem, you'll most likely get the phone replaced.

Wouldn't it make more sense if they upgrading to 12.1 for them in a store?

EDIT: Would they only do it for customers who rock up to the store? What about a saunter? A saunter would be my way and I shouldn't be treated differently...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wouldn't it make more sense if they upgrading to 12.1 for them in a store?

EDIT: Would they only do it for customers who rock up to the store? What about a saunter? A saunter would be my way and I shouldn't be treated differently...

12.1 is not officially released so they won't just install it in a store as they won't just install a beta profile on an average users phone due all the other complications it will bring.

If this turns out to be a real issue (which it looks like) then Apple will need to acknowledge and they will release a patch (probably a 12.0.1) to fix it pretty quickly.

People make a huge deal out of it as it's Apple but at the end of the day it's just a software bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

murpho999 wrote: »
    People make a huge deal out of it as it's Apple but at the end of the day it's just a software bug.
    Hopefully. But it may be a mixture of hardware and software (as the X and below don't seem to have the issue).
    Apple have been kinda quiet on this, but hopefully a software patch is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Hopefully. But it may be a mixture of hardware and software (as the X and below don't seem to have the issue).
    Apple have been kinda quiet on this, but hopefully a software patch is on the way.

Not sure if its a fault with my 6 but I plugged in the cable this evening and no charge, flipped the cable over and it charged

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Can people who have bought the XS confirm that the phone does not ship with a fast charger? I've seen a lot of US comment criticising the lack of fast charging as standard but nothing on the UK/Ireland side (which obviously ships with a different power brick).

I'm considering getting the 256GB XS but the lack of fast charging would actually be a big reason for me not to buy...the phone is €1,200 after all! Android phones have included this as standard for years (my s7 edge from 2016 charges to almost full in about 30-45 mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

No fast charger in mine anyways

brevity wrote: »
    No fast charger in mine anyways

:( How have you found battery life generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

All iPhone XS and XS Max phones come with a 5W power adapter and regular USB to lightning cable.

You can buy a cheap 29W+ power adapter that’s capable of fast charging and a USB C to lightning cable on Amazon or wherever. Sell the ones that come in the box if you won’t be using them.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    All iPhone XS and XS Max phones come with a 5W power adapter and regular USB to lightning cable.

You can buy a cheap 29W+ power adapter that’s capable of fast charging and a USB C to lightning cable on Amazon or wherever. Sell the ones that come in the box if you won’t be using them.

Ugly 3rd party chargers on a €1,200 phone, something wrong about that in 2018! Thanks for advice though, I'll see if there are any pretty ones on Amazon ;)

Surinam wrote: »
    Ugly 3rd party chargers on a €1,200 phone, something wrong about that in 2018! Thanks for advice though, I'll see if there are any pretty ones on Amazon ;)

Yeah I personally use the 29W Apple adapter and the appropriate cable from Apple too. They’re just more expensive and it seemed from your post that you’d be reluctant to spend a lot more than the phone price.

:( How have you found battery life generally?

Okay I guess. I’m a heavy user I think...

I’m keeping an eye on it but I definitely charge it twice a day - maybe not to 100%. I’ve stopped leaving it plugged in over night until I get a wireless charger

I’m keeping an eye on it but I definitely charge it twice a day - maybe not to 100%. I’ve stopped leaving it plugged in over night until I get a wireless charger

Why are you not leaving it plugged in overnight?

Can people who have bought the XS confirm that the phone does not ship with a fast charger? I've seen a lot of US comment criticising the lack of fast charging as standard but nothing on the UK/Ireland side (which obviously ships with a different power brick).

I'm considering getting the 256GB XS but the lack of fast charging would actually be a big reason for me not to buy...the phone is €1,200 after all! Android phones have included this as standard for years (my s7 edge from 2016 charges to almost full in about 30-45 mins).

I wasn't aware there were "fast chargers" - I just assumed that gadget companies simply provided the appropriate plug and cable that was best for the battery (health of battery, speed of charge, etc.)

So if these fast chargers work well and do no harm then why does Apple not make them for iPad and iPhone?

I wasn't aware there were "fast chargers" - I just assumed that gadget companies simply provided the appropriate plug and cable that was best for the battery (health of battery, speed of charge, etc.)

So if these fast chargers work well and do no harm then why does Apple not make them for iPad and iPhone?

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT208137

FourFourFM wrote: »

Okay, the complaint made me think Apple simply didn't do them so I didn't even Google it.

So why doesn't Apple ship these with iPhone and iPad? Are they something that should not be used all the time?

Why are you not leaving it plugged in overnight?

I don’t know. I’m after getting it into my head that leaving it plugged in overnight might not be the best for the phone. It’s nonsense I’m sure and I’m sure I’ll change my mind later.

I don’t know. I’m after getting it into my head that leaving it plugged in overnight might not be the best for the phone. It’s nonsense I’m sure and I’m sure I’ll change my mind later.

You paid a significant sum for the device and are entitled to be nonsensical about it ;)

I just thought maybe there a new problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Okay, the complaint made me think Apple simply didn't do them so I didn't even Google it.

So why doesn't Apple ship these with iPhone and iPad? Are they something that should not be used all the time?

It's down to two possibilities.

1) They want you to go spend another €70 on the fast charging cables and plug

2) If they only supply you with a fast charger, and you use that as your daily charger - your battery will fail much faster. Fast charging should only be used for when you are in a hurry.
    With that in mind - They stick with the 5w.

Now it could also be a combination of the two points above.

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »

2) If they only supply you with a fast charger, and you use that as your daily charger - your battery will fail much faster. Fast charging should only be used for when you are in a hurry.

I really wonder if that's true. It's no problem with other phones.

It's purely down to cash.

It's physics. Same with electric cars. In fact Tesla only recommend to fast charge when you need to and instead use home charging. Fast charging provides excess heat and this slowly reduces the overall capacity of the battery.

It's great for here and there but 100% fast charging reduces a lithium battery. If only by a few %. That is for every battery out there.

Some videos online show the Galaxy at 18 degrees hotter when charging on fast charge and the battery needing replacement after 18months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not exactly, fast charging any battery will cause degradation quicker than someone using a normal slower charge.

Take the Electric Cars for example, its been known (and there's 2 sides to every argument) that fast charging more often than not will reduce the capacity of the battery quicker.

I have some real world examples of this in the Electric Car world but cant confirm if the user would notice the difference on a phone battery.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I saw a fast qi charger in dealz the other day for 6euro.

I haven't used one, but i'm sure it would be fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's great for here and there but 100% fast charging reduces a lithium battery. If only by a few %. That is for every battery out there.

Some videos online show the Galaxy at 18 degrees hotter when charging on fast charge and the battery needing replacement after 18months.
    If that's true (I'm not doubting you) then I'd agree with Apple's stance of not including the fast charger by default. People would have the thing plugged into every night, and then it would be Apple's problem when batteries started to fail.

Wouldn't have killed them though to include the iPad style 12W charger to speed things up a bit.

Maybe they do want people to spend extra on a charger but since the fast charging does negatively affect the battery the second is very sensible - supplying it is just inviting trouble.

I was not aware that it affected the battery so much.

That said every tech reviewer on You Tube is criticising them for sticking with the 5w plug so perhaps Apple should issue a statement on it.

Also, would they not make more money in the long run with replacing run down batteries, assuming they last more than a year?

That said every tech reviewer on You Tube is criticising them for sticking with the 5w plug so perhaps Apple should issue a statement on it.

Also, would they not make more money in the long run with replacing run down batteries, assuming they last more than a year?

Yeah you see you can have firmware installed whereby you can select if you want to fast charge or "slow" charge when plugging in the fast charger. This still creates heat, but at the junction - not in the battery.

So Samsung do this and so do One Plus.

Well people often rant and rave that Apple are "greedy" but you have highlighted the fact that they put customer first.

Replacing the battery would be a pain so Apple want it to last longer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Well people often rant and rave that Apple are "greedy" but you have highlighted the fact that they put customer first.

Replacing the battery would be a pain so Apple want it to last longer ;)
    Putting the customer first would be to have both chargers in the box, advising customers to use the fast charge only when required.
    It is greedy to leave it out. Their choice obviously, but still greedy (like leaving out the 3.5mm adapter) given the price of the phone that customers are paying.

Advertisement