Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Putting the customer first would be to have both chargers in the box, advising customers to use the fast charge only when required.
    It is greedy to leave it out. Their choice obviously, but still greedy (like leaving out the 3.5mm adapter) given the price of the phone that customers are paying.

The same happens in all markets. My car doesn't even come with the cable that allows me to charge at the slow charge points. You have to buy it separately. (Nissan).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

flexcon wrote: »
    It's physics. Same with electric cars. In fact Tesla only recommend to fast charge when you need to and instead use home charging. Fast charging provides excess heat and this slowly reduces the overall capacity of the battery.

It's great for here and there but 100% fast charging reduces a lithium battery. If only by a few %. That is for every battery out there.

Some videos online show the Galaxy at 18 degrees hotter when charging on fast charge and the battery needing replacement after 18months.

Using the 5W power adapter slowly reduces the lifespan of a lithium battery too. Albeit not as much.

People just need to weigh up if they are concerned about losing a bit more of the life span over the course of owning the product by enjoying their phone and fast charging speeds or would they prefer to get that little bit longer out of the battery over time and charge it slowly.

Not only how fast it charges is important. When you charge is as if not more important. Keeping the phone topped up between 20 & 80% and avoiding letting it go lower than 10% and higher than 90% as often as possible will help prevent the battery degrading quicker.

Personally I change iPhone every year so I use the fast charger most of the time - in my view, life is too short to be worrying how fast your battery will drain during its lifetime and wondering whether or not you should use the fastest charging method available to you or when to charge it and what percentage to take it off charge.

If the difference in using a fast charger over the slow one was a bigger concern that it is, it would be mentioned in the Apple support document about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

kceire wrote: »
    The same happens in all markets. My car doesn't even come with the cable that allows me to charge at the slow charge points. You have to buy it separately. (Nissan).
    Not sure it happened in all markets. A number of phone makers are including the newer fast chargers with the new phones. So you can use the older changer, or the newer faster one.
    And that's fine if Apple don't want to. But it's not putting the customer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Putting the customer first would be to have both chargers in the box, advising customers to use the fast charge only when required.
    It is greedy to leave it out. Their choice obviously, but still greedy (like leaving out the 3.5mm adapter) given the price of the phone that customers are paying.

And how ding-dongs will just bitch and cry because they didn't heed the advice?

If Apple had included the fast charger they'd have to add the price to the cost of the phone so it doesn't make any difference to just buy it separately.

And how ding-dongs will just bitch and cry because they didn't heed the advice?
    So what.
    If Apple had included the fast charger they'd have to add the price to the cost of the phone so it doesn't make any difference to just buy it separately.
    No. They could have absorbed into the current (quite high) price.
    Again, this is in relation to Apple putting the customer first, not that it's something they have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

So what.

Easily said when you are the target of the ding-dongs on social media.

We all know people are that stupid so why give them more to bitch about.
    No. They could have absorbed into the current (quite high) price.
    Again, this is in relation to Apple putting the customer first, not that it's something they have to do.

Why should they not charge for it?

Okay, so they aren't putting the customer first, but they aren't neglecting us either. How many people care about fast charging really?

Anyway, what's the rush? Just plug it in when it isn't being used. People need to relax instead of hurrying around. ;)

Easily said when you are the target of the ding-dongs on social media.

We all know people are that stupid so why give them more to bitch about.
    What? Apple doesn't care about morons on social media. So it's not an issue.
    Why should they not charge for it?
    Again. This isn't about what they should or shouldn't do. It's just an example of Apple not putting the customer first. Noone is saying they are are neglecting the customer.
    Anyway, what's the rush? Just plug it in when it isn't being used. People need to relax instead of hurrying around. ;)
    If that's the case, then don't have it as an option.
    Apple probably knows that people do want it, and see the opportunity to make further profits from it's customers. Again, it's a company, it's what they do. It's fine. Just no need to defend them from being greedy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Apple
    many corporations with shareholders care about profits.
    If they can do good for the customer along the way great, but it’s rare any company puts the customer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It's physics. Same with electric cars. In fact Tesla only recommend to fast charge when you need to and instead use home charging. Fast charging provides excess heat and this slowly reduces the overall capacity of the battery.

It's great for here and there but 100% fast charging reduces a lithium battery. If only by a few %. That is for every battery out there.

Some videos online show the Galaxy at 18 degrees hotter when charging on fast charge and the battery needing replacement after 18months.

To be honest i'm calling bull on the fast charging theory ( no offence to you) A friend has a S7 edge 2 years old and heavy use and the battery is still fine.

I'm going with the penny pinching greed because Apple know the cult will buy the phones at any price so why bother innovating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Micky 32 wrote: »
    To be honest i'm calling bull on the fast charging theory ( no offence to you) A friend has a S7 edge 2 years old and heavy use and the battery is still fine.

I'm going with the penny pinching greed because Apple know the cult will buy the phones at any price so why bother innovating.

so 2 other manufactures are quoted as having issues but you call bull**** because it blows all over your apple hate? awwwww

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    so 2 other manufactures are quoted as having issues but you call bull**** because it blows all over your apple hate? awwwww

Battery degradation is not why Apple don’t include it in the box. It’s definitely related to cost.

Blazer wrote: »

LMAO. There is nothing wrong with fast charging, i know plenty of phones including a Galaxy S6 on it's original battery. It's greed plain and simple. Apple hate????? Yeah it must be hate and must be why i have bought every iphone every year up to the Iphone X. I have and use iphones.

The simple reality is that more people cause faster battery degradation by letting it go to 0% and constantly charge it to 100% than those of us who use a fast charger all the time and are probably less likely to have the % drop below 10.

Those saying that it’s not related to cost take note of the following:

In the box: 5W adapter which costs €25

Fast charger: €59
    Required cable: €25

Fast charging total cost: €84

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The simple reality is that more people cause faster battery degradation by letting it go to 0% and constantly charge it to 100% than those of us who use a fast charger all the time and are probably less likely to have the % drop below 10.

Those saying that it’s not related to cost take note of the following:

In the box: 5W adapter which costs €25

Fast charger: €59
    Required cable: €25

Fast charging total cost: €84

The optimum range is to let it waste to 20% then charge to 80%. Similar to EV cars.

The thing is, the fast charger that you have quoted is the 29w charger and cable combo. Samsung only give the 15w charger and cable combo so if you wanted the even faster charging option for android, you have to buy the cable and plug also. It’s not just an apply greed.

Tim Cook : How much are we agreeing to sell the Iphone xS?
    Phil : $1,098
    Tim : Hmmm. Does it include a fast charger?
    Phil : Yes of course
    Tim: Ok sell it at $999 and give the option to buy the fast charger and might save some money for regular folk who probably haven’t got a clue about fast charging or wtf have of iOS even does

It’s all relative. Penny pinching.

I must say though, the real reason i am locked to Apple is the apparent ecosystem. Dam it all chats to each other effortlessly.

If one plus 6t came with iOS? **** i’d be buying that over the iphone X!

Lastly it isn’t bull about fast charging. Go google it. You might not agree but the beautiful thing about science is - It is even if you believe it not to be.

The optimum range is to let it waste to 20% then charge to 80%. Similar to EV cars.

The thing is, the fast charger that you have quoted is the 29w charger and cable combo. Samsung only give the 15w charger and cable combo so if you wanted the even faster charging option for android, you have to buy the cable and plug also. It’s not just an apply greed.

Thing is the difference in charging times is huge even with just a 15w charger the Samsung is fast in comparison. Should be at least a 15w in the Apple box. It would make a nice difference.

Lastly it isn’t bull about fast charging. Go google it. You might not agree but the beautiful thing about science is - It is even if you believe it not to be.

I don't always believe everything i see on google. I'm going by real life experiences that don't add up to what you point to on Google.

Thing is the difference in charging times is huge even with just a 15w charger the Samsung is fast in comparison. Should be at least a 15w in the Apple box. It would make a nice difference.

I stick my iPhone X into Airplane mode and low battery status. Charges over a third quicker. Every time.

but then again that's my own made up metric and antidotal evidence that I choose not to make fact because I want to.

I don't always believe everything i see on google. I'm going by real life experiences that don't add up to what you point to on Google.

Youtube reviews. podcasts. Fanboy sites.

Whatever. Google it in a "general" sense.

Otherwise what you are saying is: I am going on what my eyes see rather than read a paper by Toshiba and the effects of heat on lithium batteries and the longevity. Cause F*ck actual research by companies that make batteries right?

I stick my iPhone X into Airplane mode and low battery status. Charges over a third quicker. Every time.

but then again that's my own made up metric and antidotal evidence that I choose not to make fact because I want to.

I like to use my phone and not put it into airplane mode, i need my phone.

• Advertisement

I agree. My charger is still in the box. I have my iPad charger on the locker and I use that every night but it’s usually full before I go to sleep so I unplug.

I sit at a desk also for 50% of my working day so I could use the usb charger there if required. I have no requirement for fast charging personally as my full charge Lasts 24hours with moderate use age. But I understand other have different needs so each to their own, live and let live.

My car cost 35k when new. And the buyer still had to give Nissan €300 extra for the cable to charge the car at the slow charge points.

you gave one experience of one friend who has an older model of the Galaxy line.

Give another otherwise it's experience, not an exaggerated experiences plural

Youtube reviews. podcasts. Fanboy sites.

Whatever. Google it in a "general" sense.

Otherwise what you are saying is: I am going on what my eyes see rather than read a paper by Toshiba and the effects of heat on lithium batteries and the longevity. Cause F*ck actual research by companies that make batteries right?

Well as i said i know lots of phones that have fast charging that are getting on and i'm not hearing any complaints of bad batteries. So i'll still sleep soundly tonight without waking up in a cold sweat nightmare shouting " My BATTERY MY BATTERY":P

I like to use my phone and not put it into airplane mode, i need my phone.

interesting. I'll try and dig out some article I read recently where they showed using your phone on full brightness with medium load sub as facebook, and fast charging made the Galaxy note get so hot it was uncomfortable.

mind you, they also showed this to happen on the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. In my won experience if I am watching youtube and charging the iPhone does get quite hot and that's on a 5w plug.

Full screen, processor and fast charging is like a kettle bomb in your hand.

you gave one experience of one friend who has an older model of the Galaxy line.

Give another otherwise it's experience, not an exaggerated experiences plural

I'm not getting into an isheep argument with you, take care :)

Serious? Says the man quoting a modern made-up phrase by popular culture....Irony.

Take care! Was great sparing with you!

In fairness, resulting to name calling makes it read like “I can’t back up my claims”

In fairness, resulting to name calling makes it read like “I can’t back up my claims”

Yep the same as being called an Apple hater because i made a comment about a 5w charger which isn't true as i have had all the iphones and i do like iphones..

As for backing up my claims how do i prove that i know lots of various fast charging phones in my line of work that are aging and no battery issues whatsoever. I was going by my own experiences. I'm no liar :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

This aligns with my own experience - have a Galaxy S7 edge bought in April 2016 and have been using the (included) fast charger ever since, battery is still fine and lasts a full day unless I'm using it excessively. I'm not doubting that extra heat may have *some* effect on battery degradation over the longer term but it hasn't actually been enough for me to notice in my case - being able to charge the phone so quickly is really convenient for me hence why I was super disappointed not to see it included with the XS as I do want to move back to iOS.

I think it is just a cost exercise for Apple not including it, I highly doubt they are worried about customers losing an extra 1-5% battery capacity over 2 years.

(Yes I know that an extra €80 in the context of such an expensive phone isn't really a big deal but it's really just the principle of Apple being so cheap that irks me so much!)

• Advertisement

I first mentioned the 20 - 80 range a couple of pages back in the thread.

I’m also not the one calling it greed.

I’m just fascinated that some people think it’s not included because of the potential impact on the battery. Which is simply bizarre.

Fast charging is sold by Apple to consumers as an “add-on” and they make extra money by doing so. Smart business.

Tech blogs and tech YouTube people complaining it doesn’t come in the box doesn’t change the fact that 95% of users, who are average users, won’t even know or care. They take it out and use it. They also don’t know or care about battery degradation either.

Advertisement