Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can all the ****e about charges be taken else where? In stead of clogging up this thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Can all the ****e about charges be taken else where? In stead of clogging up this thread..
    Fast charging is a feature of the phone.
    Not including the charger itself is something numerous people seem to want to discuss.
    It’s relevant to the topic.
    Just ignore if you don’t want to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Gentle reminder: don't feed the trolls, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fast charging is a feature of the phone.
    Not including the charger itself is something numerous people seem to want to discuss.
    It’s relevant to the topic.
    Just ignore if you don’t want to engage.

I also find this interesting. Much better than "My Xs is with DHL in Kazakhstan now".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm heading over to NY this weekend, is there a specific version I need to purchase so it is compatible with our networks here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I'm heading over to NY this weekend, is there a specific version I need to purchase so it is compatible with our networks here?

XS A1920
    Xs Max A1921

Just remember that you loose a very valuable 6 years consumer law when buying in the US and Apple have been known to be odd at some repairs after the first year is up if it's a non EU sold device.

It's a small risk with a big saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Just buy the unlocked model they have. It will work fine with the networks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

One of the main difference apart from it being a bit cheaper :) is with the 4G bands. The USA version has band 71 which is mainly used by Tmobile in rural areas. The USA version doesn't have band 28 but the euro version does, not sure what networks use band 28.

flexcon wrote: »
    XS A1920
    Xs Max A1921

Just remember that you loose a very valuable 6 years consumer law when buying in the US and Apple have been known to be odd at some repairs after the first year is up if it's a non EU sold device.

It's a small risk with a big saving.

Cheers - I'm looking at saving over €200 even when sales tax is factored in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cheers - I'm looking at saving over €200 even when sales tax is factored in.

Yes well worth it. I’ve bought a few in NYC over the years. Just make sure to tell the sales guy that you want the sim free version as mentioned above.

If it’s fkr you then you have no problem opening the box etc when your back in the hotel and you can test it to confirm.

One word of warning. We had one issue with one of the phones we bought in the US a while back, I think it was the 6S for my dad. The speaker died within warranty and apple wouldn’t send out the usual box that allowed you to ship it back for repair. We had to bring it to an apple store which meant a trip to Belfast, Victoria Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

i've bitten the bullet and ordered the 256GB Xs Max in Gold as a replacement for my 7+. Decided on the gold as a change from the usual bland colours. I will be forking out for the applecare+. I had it on the 7+ and despite being very careful with the phone i've had a trip to belfast to replace a smashed screen.

Well I picked up the IPhone Xs Max last night. My Revolut card was charged €1033 in the end, so it’s a pretty good saving on the Irish price if you are over in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Well I picked up the IPhone Xs Max last night. My Revolut card was charged €1033 in the end, so it’s a pretty good saving on the Irish price if you are over in the US.
    Are there additional savings if going with Revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

After a certain phone release today, I think its safe to say Apple have done a good job regarding the notch and the chin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Shn99 wrote: »
    After a certain phone release today, I think its safe to say Apple have done a good job regarding the notch and the chin..
    It's a really large notch, not appealing. But it's a nice bit less for the XL model and comes with the fast charger in the box (even the jack adapter).

The 6T Plus is the one to watch out for. Very interested to see the the teardrop notch (which I'd prefer) and the in-display fingerprint reader. With the iPhone Xs Max well over 1k, it leaves room for them to add features and remain below that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

It's a really large notch, not appealing. But it's a nice bit less for the XL model and comes with the fast charger in the box (even the jack adapter).

The 6T Plus is the one to watch out for. Very interested to see the the teardrop notch (which I'd prefer) and the in-display fingerprint reader. With the iPhone Xs Max well over 1k, it leaves room for them to add features and remain below that price point.

This.

Seriously think One Plus could nail its own segment here with this teardrop notch and in screen fingerprint.

If they nail getting the screen to the bottom like the Xs and get there camera up another gear Id be tempted to leave the iOS ecosystem. At this point I am really only paying the premium for the ecosystem which is a product in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that notch doesn't even do anything that special, yup it has a wide angle for selfies but there's no flood illuminator, dot projection or any of the nice biometrics stuff?

Google are getting better at their hardware but the notch and the chin still show how far they are behind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The double camera for wider selfies is a great feature I think. That notch is ugly though.

Not sure I like the teardrop on the 6T, either. Both are just too deep.

iancairns wrote: »

Yes, check out the thread over in the banking forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Yes, check out the thread over in the banking forum. :)
    Haha I posted in wrong thread by mistake. Epic fail :D

• Advertisement

Apple are very efficient. Ordered a Space Grey 256gb Max late last night. It's now dispatched and i got a text from DHL saying arriving tomorrow! ( if the storm doesn't delay it of course)

Has anyone used third party fast chargers? There seem to be good ones out there at half the cost of an Apple one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Micky 32 wrote: »

Has anyone used third party fast chargers? There seem to be good ones out there at half the cost of an Apple one.

The anker one is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Shn99 wrote: »
    The anker one is excellent
    Yeh second Anker. Big fan of theres. I have loads of there stuff.

Yeh second Anker. Big fan of theres. I have loads of there stuff.

Can you recommend a model that would suit the max and best place to purchase from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Have a look at this comparison for the best USB-C options. I don't know if it was this video but I did watch one a while back that showed there wasn't a major difference between the iPad power brick and a usb-c one. 
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/02/whats-the-best-fast-charger-for-iphone-8-and-iphone-x/

DubDJ wrote: »
    Have a look at this comparison for the best USB-C options. I don't know if it was this video but I did watch one a while back that showed there wasn't a major difference between the iPad power brick and a usb-c one. 
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/02/whats-the-best-fast-charger-for-iphone-8-and-iphone-x/

This graph outlines a good comparison.

USB C definitely worth it to get that bit more in less time.

DubDJ wrote: »

When i had my iPhone X i used to charge it with my ipad air 2 charger. I also had a Samsung S8. I did a small test and when both phones were at 50% ish the X and the S8 with fast charging was neck and neck up to the 100% battery. I never tried it from 1% though. The old ipad charger is actually very good.

Just to add that the exact price will be state dependant due to varying tax rates.

Yes, you dont pay the currency conversion fee and the exchange rate is at worst the same but usually better than using your debit card/credit card.

As an example using a BOI debit card the conversion fee is 2% (capped at 11.43 per transaction) so in this case using a BOI card the phone would have cost 11.43 more at least and likely more due to a worse exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I was just googling to see if there was any news on the rumoured coming iPad event and I saw a headline from Forbes that "iPhone XS fight new problems".

Can anyone tell me what these "new issues" are? Is it something real or just a guy being nit picky about something insignificant?

I can't open the website myself (can't open quite a few actually). I get a browser "cannot open this website" message.

• Advertisement

I was just googling to see if there was any news on the rumoured coming iPad event and I saw a headline from Forbes that "iPhone XS fight new problems".

Can anyone tell me what these "new issues" are? Is it something real or just a guy being nit picky about something insignificant?

I can't open the website myself (can't open quite a few actually). I get a browser "cannot open this website" message.

Check your safari settings.

I’ve attached how mine are set up and the website loads.

Attached what they say are the problems too.

Advertisement