Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Check your safari settings.

I’ve attached how mine are set up and the website loads.

Attached what they say are the problems too.

The websites started loading later that day then the problem happened again the day after. Seems fine now.

I can't open your attachments.

Forbes blocks me with a window about cookies, etc. and I have no idea what any of it means. :P

I did a quick Google of the iPhone XS and the only negative headlines and comments are a disappointing battery life. If Forbes has other issues it sees to be them alone.

Anyway thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I did a quick Google of the iPhone XS and the only negative headlines and comments are a disappointing battery life.

That's a pretty big feature of a phone. The antenna problem can't be fixed with software and that's another essential feature.
    A quick Google isn't going to get you to why you shouldn't buy it the apple marketing machine is well ahead of you.

That's a pretty big feature of a phone. The antenna problem can't be fixed with software and that's another essential feature.
    A quick Google isn't going to get you to why you shouldn't buy it the apple marketing machine is well ahead of you.

I didn't mean the battery isn't important, but the Forbes headline claimed "new problems" and the battery & antenna were already old news at the time f the headline.

Though even major websites often are late to a discussion.

There faults, go past them and drill down to the specs and you have to start looking at bang for buck, it's been beaten by sub €400 phones. For what is, its terrible value for money. I don't think anyone looking at an iPhone is going to buy a pocophone but there's a plethora of phones to choose on your way up to the entry level xs price.
    Nealry all the reviews are carefully controlled by apple so have to be taken with a pinch of salt, made by fanboys for fanboys.
    60hz screen is still a deal breaker for me but there's only 3 phones out there with a 120hz screen so can't knock apple for that as none of the major manufacturers are doing it.

There faults, go past them and drill down to the specs and you have to start looking at bang for buck, it's been beaten by sub €400 phones. For what is, its terrible value for money. I don't think anyone looking at an iPhone is going to buy a pocophone but there's a plethora of phones to choose on your way up to the entry level xs price.
    Nealry all the reviews are carefully controlled by apple so have to be taken with a pinch of salt, made by fanboys for fanboys.
    60hz screen is still a deal breaker for me but there's only 3 phones out there with a 120hz screen so can't knock apple for that as none of the major manufacturers are doing it.

Reviews can be overly favourable but likewise negative reviews also need the same pics of salt.

• Advertisement

I find Unbox Therapy very good as he seems honest, he's going to compare the XS max to some other phone shortly, probably the pixel 3 or razer 2 I'd guess. He's also probably responsible for getting apple to address the latest charging problem as well.

I read a few different websites discussing the antenna problem.

None of them are being straightforward about how much of a problem - if it is manufacturing issue shouldn't everyone have the problem, but these writers are all saying "customers are reporting..." but not how many.

I remember the whoopty-do about the antenna on the iPhone 4 but I never had a problem with mine.

There is an "expert" saying he knew about the problem from examine legal documents before the release but if it was a known and severe issue wouldn't Apple just have delayed the release?

From Unbox Therapy he was thinking it was down to the Intel chip as it's the first phone apple have went fully intel rather than Qualcomm.
    It's all in the XS max review.

From Unbox Therapy he was thinking it was down to the Intel chip as it's the first phone apple have went fully intel rather than Qualcomm.
    It's all in the XS max review.

I'll look it up.

Does he have a explanation for why it isn't affecting everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I find Unbox Therapy very good as he seems honest, he's going to compare the XS max to some other phone shortly, probably the pixel 3 or razer 2 I'd guess. He's also probably responsible for getting apple to address the latest charging problem as well.
    I really dislike the guy, used to be a subscriber but he’s just so click-baity these days and his videos have come a long way from the unboxings that he started with. He’s obviously going for a different audience now, which seems to be working based on subscriber numbers. I don’t put much credibility into him now personally though.

Also, ever since the bend-gate video which went viral for him I think he has a bit of a bias against Apple, since they don’t invite him to their events now. So take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

120hz screen is pointless.

It’s fairly typical of android fan boys to pick something that apple doesn’t have though, abd that’s the most important thing.

I can't judge unless I use the phone for a while whether the battery life suits me.

I can't imagine it would be a cause of concern though - if I put it through heavy use and can't get to a socket I'd most likely have an external battery or two with me.

I know people are disappointed the batteries weren't longer lasting but I'd imagine it site best in regards size and usage, etc,.

The antenna issue would be a concern though.

I think the removal of the headphone jack was only silly thing Apple has ever done. If a lightning connector is better then okay but just put in two.

I hope the new iPads still have a headphone jack separate to the power connector.

Are there any honest reviews that aren't fanboys or just hating for the sake of hating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

DubDJ wrote: »
    I really dislike the guy, used to be a subscriber but he’s just so click-baity these days and his videos have come a long way from the unboxings that he started with. He’s obviously going for a different audience now, which seems to be working based on subscriber numbers. I don’t put much credibility into him now personally though.

Also, ever since the bend-gate video which went viral for him I think he has a bit of a bias against Apple, since they don’t invite him to their events now. So take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

Second that. Even looking at the Pixel 3 review vs the iPhone X its clear hes biased.

It’s fairly typical of android fan boys to pick something that apple doesn’t have though, abd that’s the most important thing.

Now that's just nonsense a 120hz screen is noticeably more responsive to the point where you wouldn't go back to a 60hz once your used to it.
    Why did apple bother putting it in the iPad pro and try to fake it in the X, the only reason you haven't one in your phone is the technology isn't available in the screens most manufacturers including apple are using.

It's nothing to do with fanboys. I'm using one for a year not a hope in hell i'd go back to 60hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I got to hand it to my X max. I'm going to have to say it's probably the best screen i have had to date. I also have a Note 9 and even though that is an amazing screen i feel like Samsung put in a great screen and just turned everything right up and hope for the best. With the iphone you can kinda tell more effort was put into it for fine tuning.

The black crush on the Note is quite noticable whereas on the iphone it's hardly noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I do find Apple put more effort in the little things that can make a big difference to user experience.

For example, i receive a lot of Viber calls from a cousin in the USA. If i'm on a Viber call with my Note 9 and someone tries to call me via my cell number it will cut me off with my cousin and the phone will ring in my ear, very annoying

Same scenario on the iPhone, it will treat a Viber call like a regular call and if anyone rings me it will direct to voicemail as usual and i don't get interrupted. It's the little things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I
    That’s a load of rubbish.
    He praised the new phone.
    The only main issue he has is “the price to benefit” compared to the competition.
    I mean if you don’t subscribe/watch and think he’s biased for a number of years, then you clearly have a bias of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You forget Apple do the Os as well. That adds a lot of expense as well.
    Apple's hardware and software integration is streets ahead.
    Google can afford to give Android away for free as the manufacturers are forced to use google apps as default and google make their money from selling people's browsing history and ads. Its their lifeblood.
    I always love how the google fanboys always neglect to mention that.

That’s a load of rubbish.
    He praised the new phone.
    The only main issue he has is “the price to benefit” compared to the competition.
    I mean if you don’t subscribe/watch and think he’s biased for a number of years, then you clearly have a bias of your own.
    As I said from the outset, I dislike him now and don’t watch or subscribe to his videos anymore. They still appear in my recommendation feed but I haven’t watched one in a while. I was honest about that from the start.

Saying that, doesn’t mean I can’t see when somebody has a bit of a thing against Apple. Any small minor software issue and he’ll have a click bait title video up trying to make it sound bigger than it is, seems to me he’s always trying to recreate the bend-gate hype.

I’ve been lucky enough to never have a problem with any of the issues Apple devices have had over time, but I understand no phone is perfect, especially on the scale that Apple produce them.

Sensationalising these things such as charge-gate, which was an obvious software glitch that was quickly fixed is the type of thing I see as a negative video for the sale of views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

All his thumbnails are of him with his head in his hands with a click baity title. He does do good reviews but his smartphone stuff is a tad boring now.

If you want an unbiased view on things MKBHD is probably one of the best.

All his thumbnails are of him with his head in his hands with a click baity title. He does do good reviews but his smartphone stuff is a tad boring now.

Yeah he’s one of my favourite Youtubers. Even though he’s primarily an Android user he’s very fair when comparing other phones and operating systems and points out flaws and bugs for what they are. Following him for a few years now and his videos seem to be getting better where I’ve unsubscribed from a lot of other Youtubers for the exact opposite.

As I said from the outset, I dislike him now and don’t watch or subscribe to his videos anymore. They still appear in my recommendation feed but I haven’t watched one in a while. I was honest about that from the start.
    Well then you don't know his review of the phone, which he praised. So calling him biased is bias on your own side. Pinch of salt and all that.
    Sensationalising these things such as charge-gate, which was an obvious software glitch that was quickly fixed is the type of thing I see as a negative video for the sale of views.
    Well maybe it got fixed quickly cause he highlighted it? It was a poor miss from Apple to not have caught during testing and before release.
    It is sensationalising of the issue, but he is looking for hits for his channel for his own profit. But if you have an issue with sensationalising and profit, then you must have a big issue with Apple :pac:

Adding "gate" to any of the minor incidents it gets tacked onto does bug me. Watergate was a huge issue. Very few of the "-gate" incidents since warrant the hype.

He def needs to get back to the unboxing stuff. Way too much smartphone reviews (which maybe is reflective of the amount of phones out there now). From a quick count, 1 of his last 18 vids are not about a smartphone.

Blazer wrote: »
    You forget Apple do the Os as well. That adds a lot of expense as well.
    Apple's hardware and software integration is streets ahead.
    Google can afford to give Android away for free as the manufacturers are forced to use google apps as default and google make their money from selling people's browsing history and ads. Its their lifeblood.
    I always love how the google fanboys always neglect to mention that.

I'd say it was streets ahead but android is pretty much there or there abouts now some will argue it's just as good if not better. It always felt buggy to me I just wouldn't trust it, using it for a year now without even one hiccup, can't see how iOS is any better, infact switching back to iOS is deeply frustrating as you see how locked down it is. Tried the XS max for a little bit and wanted to throw is out the window between the unresponsive and tweaks they've made to the software it just felt overcomplicated to the point of frustration. Nothing like the 7+ I have gathering dust.
    There's nothing wrong with Google apps I used them on iOS a lot. Apple do the exact same, it's not some kind of conspiracy where phone manufacturers are forced to use bad Google apps to steal your data and sell it. While apple is the great white knight who'd never think of profiting from their customers.
    Your way into blinded fanboy territory there.

I've a good few Apple devices from macbooks to iPads and iMac's, I think there a top notch product and rock solid reliable. It's the phones I have a gripe with, outdated technology, overpriced, overengineerd, frustrating to fix (just look at what's required to replace the charging port on an xs). I love the camera on iPhones that's it though. Get rid of the notch, stick in a 120hz screen and a battery worthy of a €1000 phone and i'd probably buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I'd say it was streets ahead but android is pretty much there or there abouts now some will argue it's just as good if not better. It always felt buggy to me I just wouldn't trust it, using it for a year now without even one hiccup, can't see how iOS is any better, infact switching back to iOS is deeply frustrating as you see how locked down it is. Tried the XS max for a little bit and wanted to throw is out the window between the unresponsive and tweaks they've made to the software it just felt overcomplicated to the point of frustration. Nothing like the 7+ I have gathering dust.
    There's nothing wrong with Google apps I used them on iOS a lot. Apple do the exact same, it's not some kind of conspiracy where phone manufacturers are forced to use bad Google apps to steal your data and sell it. While apple is the great white knight who'd never think of profiting from their customers.
    Your way into blinded fanboy territory there.

I've a good few Apple devices from macbooks to iPads and iMac's, I think there a top notch product and rock solid reliable. It's the phones I have a gripe with, outdated technology, overpriced, overengineerd, frustrating to fix (just look at what's required to replace the charging port on an xs). I love the camera on iPhones that's it though. Get rid of the notch, stick in a 120hz screen and a battery worthy of a €1000 phone and i'd probably buy one.

Think you've stumbled upon the wrong thread, heres a helpful link. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1343

Shn99 wrote: »
    Think you've stumbled upon the wrong thread, heres a helpful link. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1343

Not to worry I've the same gripe with the Samsung's of this world. Nothing new coming from either stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not to worry I've the same gripe with the Samsung's of this world. Nothing new coming from either stable.

Nah mate you're a rapid android fan who always sticks your nose in here.
    In fact I thought you were already banned from this forum over the rubbish you were sprouting the last time but it must have been a temp ban.

and ps...the only reason Samsung have brought nothing new to the table is because....they never did.
    Since day 1 they've been ripping off Apple and just implementing whatever they did.
    I'm trying to think of one thing they have actually done off their own bat that's been successful but can't think of one.
    Tizen has been a disaster, no one wants to be locked in samsungs ****ty app environment where they will lock older models out of previously supported apps (their tv models are notorious for this), or trust their security (tv models again capturing all spoken word regardless of being activated and transmitting all of it in unprotected text file to third parties). etc etc.
    HTC I love as they at least used to release stuff other manufacturers didn't such as ultra pixel, they also supported the unlocking of the bootloader which gave us some amazing roms, and I loved their blinkfeed feature which obviously apple and others ripped off but I still prefer HTC's design of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Did anyone here move from Samsung to the XS Max? How did you find the switch? I currently have a note 8 s7 and note 4 before that. Last iPhone I had was 5 I think. I just fancy something new.

• Advertisement

Chibs wrote: »
    Did anyone here move from Samsung to the XS Max? How did you find the switch? I currently have a note 8 s7 and note 4 before that. Last iPhone I had was 5 I think. I just fancy something new.

It's easy switch between them these days, have a play with one in a shop a lot of them have live demos to try. I couldn't get on with it tried it for a few hours and my last one was a 7+ before moving to android.

Advertisement