Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Chibs wrote: »
    Did anyone here move from Samsung to the XS Max? How did you find the switch? I currently have a note 8 s7 and note 4 before that. Last iPhone I had was 5 I think. I just fancy something new.

I have both phones a Note 9 and a Max. Both great phones. I will give the best screen to the Max, it just pops more and feels like it's on top of the phone rather than inside the phone if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Got my new Xs Max .. the screen is a quantum leap from my 7+ ... still getting used to the lack of a home button .. but impressed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Anyone ordering the XR this morning???

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I would if someone would let me... so far eir seem to be the only mobile provider with an active ordering page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The old Mexican stand off to see who has the best pricing id say......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Pre ordered mine this morning, expected delivery date 31/10.

The old Mexican stand off to see who has the best pricing id say......
    Without getting into the ins and outs of each monthly allowance the current bill pay pricing looks like this:

Vodafone
    Monthly Cost Handset Price Total Cost for 24 Months
    40 449.99 1,409.99
    60 249.99 1,689.99
    80 49.99 1,969.99

eir
    39.99 499 1,458,.76
    54.99 299 1,618.76
    69.99 299 1,978.76

Three

Monthly Cost[/td]
    Handset Price[/td]
    Total Cost for 24 Months[/td]
    [/tr]
    30[/td]
    569[/td]
    1,289[/td]
    [/tr]
    45[/td]
    429[/td]
    1,509[/td]
    [/tr]
    60[/td]
    249[/td]
    1,689[/td]
    [/tr]

I've never used eir - what is their coverage like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Faker74 wrote: »
    Without getting into the ins and outs of each monthly allowance the current bill pay pricing looks like this:

Vodafone
    40 449.99 1,409.99
    60 249.99 1,689.99
    80 49.99 1,969.99

eir
    39.99 449 1,408,.76
    54.99 299 1,618.76
    69.99 299 1,978.76

Eir has come on leaps and bounds i've found recently. Still extending coverage to even the most remote places. Vodafone used to be the leader in that area, not so much anymore.

however, if using an iPhone - I'd suggest Vodafone is a better bet. You can use more of the bands and capacity available on the iPhone than eir, so performance should be better.

Also Vodafone is still somewhat measly on Data allowance for entry level plans under 30 quid, so their network tends to be less congested. but that varies wildly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Vodafone
    40 449.99 1,409.99
    60 249.99 1,689.99
    80 49.99 1,969.99
    Where are you getting these prices from? Vodafone main site doesn't display any XR info.
    This would have them pricing the XR at €250 cheaper than they currently sell last year's X (I know the X is a different spec).

I want these prices to be correct, but I don't believe them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

flexcon wrote: »
    Eir has come on leaps and bounds i've found recently. Still extending coverage to even the most remote places. Vodafone used to be the leader in that area, not so much anymore.

however, if using an iPhone - I'd suggest Vodafone is a better bet. You can use more of the bands and capacity available on the iPhone than eir, so performance should be better.

Also Vodafone is still somewhat measly on Data allowance for entry level plans under 30 quid, so their network tends to be less congested. but that varies wildly.

Also vouch for Eir.

I reluctantly joined Meteor years ago but at the time they had the best deals.

Now, I get 4G in most places.

Their new packages are very generous in data.

Also they have wifi calling.

Vodafone is far too expensive with measly data and 3 is just 3.

Can't see myself switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No way I'd sign a 2 year contract with Vodafone with those allowances. joke. Eir or Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

I was dreading the upgrade process with Eir but I have to say so far I haven’t had any issues with them

Dades wrote: »

Vodafone
    40 449.99 1,409.99
    60 249.99 1,689.99
    80 49.99 1,969.99
    Where are you getting these prices from? Vodafone main site doesn't display any XR info.
    This would have them pricing the XR at €250 cheaper than they currently sell last year's X (I know the X is a different spec).

I want these prices to be correct, but I don't believe them. :pac:
    Apologies should make it clear those are the 64GB prices but still..

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/apple-iphone-xr-64gb-bill-pay-black

Hmmm, direct link doesn't seem to work, but you can navigate from the main page.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks, that link is actually working for me.

I've had my iPhone 7 for two years, and have only just hit 64GB without ever having to skimp, or relocate pics or videos. Reckon I don't need any more.

Should be able to sell the 7 to upgrade. Vodafone are pricy, but they are the best network and I'm loath to leave them as I'm on the move a lot.

Next Friday for walk ins to the store??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    Thanks, that link is actually working for me.

I've had my iPhone 7 for two years, and have only just hit 64GB without ever having to skimp, or relocate pics or videos. Reckon I don't need any more.

Should be able to sell the 7 to upgrade. Vodafone are pricy, but they are the best network and I'm loath to leave them as I'm on the move a lot.

Next Friday for walk ins to the store??

How are they the best network?

I would strongly argue that the current Eir network is just as good?

I'm not an Eir fan, hugely inefficent company but I have been with them a few years after being with O2 and Vodafone and very happy with the coverage and options.

€40 for 5gb data is terrible value imho?

murpho999 wrote: »
    How are they the best network?

I would strongly argue that the current Eir network is just as good?

I'm not an Eir fan, hugely inefficent company but I have been with them a few years after being with O2 and Vodafone and very happy with the coverage and options.

€40 for 5gb data is terrible value imho?

Well on a technical level they have the most potential to be the best.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/comreg-reveals-4g-auction-results-450m-instant-windfall-for-irish-govt

Now that may have changed since Eir took over but:

Vodafone constantly rates highest in speed tests done by Oakla speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/reports/ireland/ - Vodafone still killing it here

Conclusion

Ireland’s mobile consumers would benefit from improvements to speeds, especially in rural areas. Vodafone comes out on top for speeds at both a national level and in nine of the ten largest cities and shows an impressive regional coverage of Speedtest results. Eir and 3 both have some catching up to do in terms of speeds and Tesco Mobile remains a bargain option. We’re optimistic that improvements to LTE and the expansion of gigabit could increase speeds in the near term and hope that these innovations spur further investment.

It also constantly gets awards for the best network from various independent utilities
    Vodafone have the most spectrum allocation.
    Vodafone have the most spare capacity.
    Vodafone encourages data preservation, so less people streaming on their network.

the opposite can be found on 3 where everyone is constantly downloading and putting the network under increased load.

Personally and antidotally though, I have found EIR to be faster at 4g in West Cork, and to have more coverage availability. But, once in Cork city - Vodafone gives me over 100mbps easily where Eir was down at 35-55.

Again though, in real world I am not sure it's all that different to be fair eir, their network never let me down.
    There is a difference between Value and best and cheap and reliable.

I'd honestly say if you want absolute reliability its a close tie between Vodafone and Eir. however, Eir give you twice as much data. Than in itself suggests though that the Eir network due to the less spectrum allocation - would come congested quicker. Everyone is sharing the one connection so the more data a network gives - the less average speed per cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've been with 3 since the iphone 4 came out and always been happy with it.
    I reckon between streaming music, videos etc I use about 30gb a month.
    There's no way I'd last on vodafone's crappy allowance.
    I've often looked at changing and while I'm with virgin mobile which is still 3 etc vodafone's rip off prices always put me off.

Blazer wrote: »
    I've been with 3 since the iphone 4 came out and always been happy with it.
    I reckon between streaming music, videos etc I use about 30gb a month.
    There's no way I'd last on vodafone's crappy allowance.
    I've often looked at changing and while I'm with virgin mobile which is still 3 etc vodafone's rip off prices always put me off.

I'm only quoting this as it gives context.

Statistically 3 is the slowest network with the least amount of Masts registered in Ireland. It's a skinny Ryanair type network. The speed tests over the years and the spectrum allocation backs this up. so at the offset, 3 isn't looking in great shape.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore

If you accept the principle that on average the more users downloading, the less the average speed is per user.

So, if Vodafone gives crappy 5gb allowance, and three give you 60gb per month - you have the potential to be a hog on the network 12times over on the three network than vodafone.

The result is Vodafone customers spend less time downloading and therefore the network is less congested.

So currently if someone wants the best opportunity for the fastest speed - vodafone statistically and factually is the best. if you were a betting man, you would win nearly 8 out 10 times.

HOWEVER

Due to the nature of wireless networks, the results always vary so much.

I'm happy to fly Ryanair for example, but I know on a long haul - i'd like to use the lounge of Aer lingus for a few bob more to be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I suppose it makes a difference if you have internet at home or not.
    I have efibre at the house so I only use the phone when out and about so 3's slow speed wouldn't really impact me. But I get your point. I definitely wouldn't like to be completely dependent on 3 for all my broadband needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I switched to 3 the other day having been with eir for a measly 14 days, got fed up with the sham coverage and customer service. Out of Vodafone eir and 3 I’m getting the best coverage and data allowance with 3. Have stopped using the home WiFi as the 4g is leaps faster.

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »
    I switched to 3 the other day having been with eir for a measly 14 days, got fed up with the sham coverage and customer service. Out of Vodafone eir and 3 I’m getting the best coverage and data allowance with 3. Have stopped using the home WiFi as the 4g is leaps faster.

Yeah that would be a common example of "irregular" experience. Statistically that shouldn't happen. That scenario you would never bet on if you were armed with everything I mentioned in the post above.

Could be as simple as you are closet to that mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Three rang me at lunchtime to offer me the chance to preorder the XR and have it delivered to me next Friday. Price was €429 for the phone on my current plan. I told him I’d wait to see it in the flesh before deciding and he dropped another €30 off the price to €399 which was tempting but I still think I’ll wait. I have my 6S for 3 years now and it performs 100% so another few weeks won’t hurt. I have been out of contract since Nov 2016 but more than likely will upgrade to the XR in a few weeks.

Am I right in thinking that XR is a slightly tweaked X ??

Three rang me at lunchtime to offer me the chance to preorder the XR and have it delivered to me next Friday. Price was €429 for the phone on my current plan. I told him I’d wait to see it in the flesh before deciding and he dropped another €30 off the price to €399 which was tempting but I still think I’ll wait. I have my 6S for 3 years now and it performs 100% so another few weeks won’t hurt. I have been out of contract since Nov 2016 but more than likely will upgrade to the XR in a few weeks.

Am I right in thinking that XR is a slightly tweaked X ??

Pro vs iPhone X
    Its faster
    It's bigger
    Longer battery life
    Upgraded camera for better low light
    Faster Face ID

Con vs iPhone X
    LCD display so content doesn't pop as much BUT up to last year that display was perfect for the flagship iPhones.
    Lack of rear dual camera. Less precise portrait mode and zoom in angle
    Bezels seem larger but nothing too major.

It's 25% cheaper. It's a pretty solid phone.

Vodafone
    40 449.99 1,409.99
    60 249.99 1,689.99
    80 49.99 1,969.99

eir
    39.99 499 1,458,.76
    54.99 299 1,618.76
    69.99 299 1,978.76

Three

Monthly Cost[/td]
    Handset Price[/td]
    Total Cost for 24 Months[/td]
    [/tr]
    30[/td]
    569[/td]
    1,289[/td]
    [/tr]
    45[/td]
    429[/td]
    1,509[/td]
    [/tr]
    60[/td]
    249[/td]
    1,689[/td]
    [/tr]

Just to point out also if you are an existing eir BB customer the plans are 10 euro cheaper per month so 29.99, 44.99 and 59.99 with the phone prices same as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I'm only quoting this as it gives context.

Statistically 3 is the slowest network with the least amount of Masts registered in Ireland. It's a skinny Ryanair type network. The speed tests over the years and the spectrum allocation backs this up. so at the offset, 3 isn't looking in great shape.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore

If you accept the principle that on average the more users downloading, the less the average speed is per user.

So, if Vodafone gives crappy 5gb allowance, and three give you 60gb per month - you have the potential to be a hog on the network 12times over on the three network than vodafone.

The result is Vodafone customers spend less time downloading and therefore the network is less congested.

So currently if someone wants the best opportunity for the fastest speed - vodafone statistically and factually is the best. if you were a betting man, you would win nearly 8 out 10 times.

HOWEVER

Due to the nature of wireless networks, the results always vary so much.

I'm happy to fly Ryanair for example, but I know on a long haul - i'd like to use the lounge of Aer lingus for a few bob more to be looked after.

How slow is slow in regards to Three?

I'll be getting an Xs in a few weeks and can't decide other to stay with Three for unlimited data or go to Vodafone for the free calls.

Also, this antenna problem with the Xs - is that only with certain networks? Is anyone here who bought an Xs having the problem?

How slow is slow in regards to Three?

I'll be getting an Xs in a few weeks and can't decide other to stay with Three for unlimited data or go to Vodafone for the free calls.

Also, this antenna problem with the Xs - is that only with certain networks? Is anyone here who bought an Xs having the problem?

Well whats the most important?

Facbook and youtube to load as fast as possible OR

Free calls?

My preference has been Data since 2012.
    Coincidentally our company had a contract a few years back where we had a small black box in the cabin that measured db levels of the masts for one of the networks. Showed in real time the network performance. I believe they do this to get accurate mapping of their network.

I would still stick with Vodafone or closely followed by Eir for potentially having the best outcome. I left three since the network was just clogged everywhere.

PS - Again Vodafone seems to have the most spectrum allocated to faster rural LTE. So outside the city, or the city bounds Vodafone has the most potential. Eir also bought some, but slightly less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Well whats the most important?

Facbook and youtube to load as fast as possible OR

Free calls?

My preference has been Data since 2012.
    Coincidentally our company had a contract a few years back where we had a small black box in the cabin that measured db levels of the masts for one of the networks. Showed in real time the network performance. I believe they do this to get accurate mapping of their network.

I would still stick with Vodafone or closely followed by Eir for potentially having the best outcome. I left three since the network was just clogged everywhere.

PS - Again Vodafone seems to have the most spectrum allocated to faster rural LTE. So outside the city, or the city bounds Vodafone has the most potential. Eir also bought some, but slightly less.

I use neither social media or Youtube.

It has been so long since I used my old iPhone for mobile data that I'm not sure what I'd use it for.

I know I'm going prepay no matter what network I pick and the required monthly top up to stay on a plan should be more than enough to cover either call & texts OR data.

So speed and price are the factors I think.

Lycramobile is only €15 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data. They use the Three network so that is why I was wondering about the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just a quick question folks.
    I'm about to get an XS Max 64gb and wanted to know if 64gb is enough? I think the 256gb is too expensive for what it is.
    I'm not a heavy App use but tend to have a lot of pics on my phone but even this seems to be sorted now seen as apple upload most of them to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just a quick question folks.
    I'm about to get an XS Max 64gb and wanted to know if 64gb is enough? I think the 256gb is too expensive for what it is.
    I'm not a heavy App use but tend to have a lot of pics on my phone but even this seems to be sorted now seen as apple upload most of them to the cloud.

• Advertisement

I use neither social media or Youtube.

It has been so long since I used my old iPhone for mobile data that I'm not sure what I'd use it for.

I know I'm going prepay no matter what network I pick and the required monthly top up to stay on a plan should be more than enough to cover either call & texts OR data.

So speed and price are the factors I think.

Lycramobile is only €15 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data. They use the Three network so that is why I was wondering about the speed.

Yeah go for any of those networks if its calls and texts you want. Three fall back on the old 02 network for calls and texts in weaker data areas. So i'd say you could be fine with three then.

Advertisement