Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

flexcon wrote: »
    Yeah go for any of those networks if its calls and texts you want. Three fall back on the old 02 network for calls and texts in weaker data areas. So i'd say you could be fine with three then.

I don't think I said I wanted calls & texts more than data. If I did say or imply that I did not mean to.

What I did mean was that I don't think I need to choose between unlimited calls/texts or unlimited data because either way the required monthly top up would be plenty to cover either option.

I'm more interested in speed of mobile data and the price of the plan.

Lycramobile seems to be the cheapest and uses the Three network - that is why I wanted to know exactly how much slower it is than speeds Vodafone network?

Is the Three network actually very slow or a good speed just not as fast as Vodafone?

How long to download an iOS app or a TV episode on Netflix for example?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

murpho999 wrote: »

€40 for 5gb data is terrible value imho?
    5GB isn't enough, for sure.

I'm on the VF €60 plan and 15GB is fine for me, but I also get Spotify which is a tenner a month I'd be paying otherwise.

Eir's equivalent is €55 a month without Spotify. Their €40 plan offers 10GB which would be tight for me (so not an option), as well as needing another €200 up front for the phone. So regardless of network performance, I'm not really being enticed to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    5GB isn't enough, for sure.

I'm on the VF €60 plan and 15GB is fine for me, but I also get Spotify which is a tenner a month I'd be paying otherwise.

Eir's equivalent is €55 a month without Spotify. Their €40 plan offers 10GB which would be tight for me (so not an option), as well as needing another €200 up front for the phone. So regardless of network performance, I'm not really being enticed to change.

Fair enough but Eir's €55 a month includes 40gb a month which is a lot more than Vodafones.

It also includes free Eir sport on mobile or tablet which may or may not be a saving for you.

Also, you're comparing plans with phones, have you looked at the SIM only options?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it's mobile data speed is your main concern the iPhone doesn't support the High speed data networks some of the providers use.

If it's mobile data speed is your main concern the iPhone doesn't support the High speed data networks some of the providers use.

Such as what speeds on what networks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Not sure that is correct. Could you define what you mean?

Are you referring to LTE dual carrier?
    AFAIk generally, its the other way around. iPhones Support faster LTE bands that Irish networks are not licensed or choose not to rollout.

I don't think I said I wanted calls & texts more than data. If I did say or imply that I did not mean to.

What I did mean was that I don't think I need to choose between unlimited calls/texts or unlimited data because either way the required monthly top up would be plenty to cover either option.

I'm more interested in speed of mobile data and the price of the plan.

Lycramobile seems to be the cheapest and uses the Three network - that is why I wanted to know exactly how much slower it is than speeds Vodafone network?

Is the Three network actually very slow or a good speed just not as fast as Vodafone?

How long to download an iOS app or a TV episode on Netflix for example?

Ah yes I did misunderstand initially.

Three network congestion literally mimics traffic going to work and back again. Goodlook trying to be fast. But between rush hours the network should be grand......

In terms of speeds its all relative. Three ISP does not peer directly with Apples server anyway, so it will be slower to download even if the network locally is actually fast at the time.

If we took boards.ie as an example. You probably won't see much difference as its mostly text. However, try and play youtube at full HD on your beautiful new iPhone screen - Not a hope it will work as well on Vodafone or Eir. (Again taking the principle that in general Vodafone has more capacity and less congestion. this isn't everywhere and is an average assumption not absolute)

If you are trying to visualize in some way, think of Vodafone as a 4 lane motorway. Plenty space and all traveling at 120kph.
    Now three is a 2 lane motorway - but still traveling at 100kph. If its just you and your car( boards.ie) than the difference in minimal. If its you and your five friends in 5 other cars (Youtube, netflix downloading in bits) then you now have a reduced service and traffic.

Not sure that is correct. Could you define what you mean?

Are you referring to LTE dual carrier?
    AFAIk generally, its the other way around. iPhones Support faster LTE bands that Irish networks are not licensed or choose not to rollout.

It's not the other way around and hasn't been since the s8 launched it's well know the Samsung s8 and 8+ was quicker last year than any of the iPhone and the s9 and 9+ are quicker than the current crop of iPhones. It's about a 10mbps difference in download speeds.
    It's correct go check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Ah yes I did misunderstand initially.

Three network congestion literally mimics traffic going to work and back again. Goodlook trying to be fast. But between rush hours the network should be grand......

In terms of speeds its all relative. Three ISP does not peer directly with Apples server anyway, so it will be slower to download even if the network locally is actually fast at the time.

If we took boards.ie as an example. You probably won't see much difference as its mostly text. However, try and play youtube at full HD on your beautiful new iPhone screen - Not a hope it will work as well on Vodafone or Eir. (Again taking the principle that in general Vodafone has more capacity and less congestion. this isn't everywhere and is an average assumption not absolute)

If you are trying to visualize in some way, think of Vodafone as a 4 lane motorway. Plenty space and all traveling at 120kph.
    Now three is a 2 lane motorway - but still traveling at 100kph. If its just you and your car( boards.ie) than the difference in minimal. If its you and your five friends in 5 other cars (Youtube, netflix downloading in bits) then you now have a reduced service and traffic.

So is Eir mobile somewhere in between Vodafone and Three?

It's not the other way around and hasn't been since the s8 launched it's well know the Samsung s8 and 8+ was quicker last year than any of the iPhone and the s9 and 9+ are quicker than the current crop of iPhones. It's about a 10mbps difference in download speeds.

But you said it does not support the high speed networks but now it's only 10mbps slower.

Sounds like more of your anti Apple posting.

• Advertisement

But you said it does not support the high speed networks but now it's only 10mbps slower.

Sounds like more of your anti Apple posting.

It could be more or less but if you're only getting 12 a drop of 10 is huge.
    Why when ye hear anything that means an iPhone could be worse than some other device it's straight on the defensive and making it personal. Why is it no possible to have a conversation about the technology rather than throwing your toys out of the pram.

If someone is wondering about data speeds before purchasing there's nothing wrong with someone saying that you won't get the fastest possible speeds on that network with an iPhone.

Someone mentioned HD Netflix up above that's not even supported in the XR but nobody comes out and says that here to people before they drop close to a grand on well old technology. That's not good for anybody.

Can you help myself and others here - I 'd appreciate if you could send us a link or two to get started at?
    When you say faster, to sum up - do you mean taking average network speeds, over an average time the s8 and s8+ is on average 10mbps faster?in which country was this? On LTE or HSPDA?

Just some more context please as you are talking to someone who is very very confident in what they are saying and has spent years over various jobs touching into this sector with a keen interest also. Willing to discuss here but it would help if you could just add some more context. Maybe we call all learn some more with more helpful info.

So is Eir mobile somewhere in between Vodafone and Three?

If you take the likes of speedtest.net. the spectrum allocation and the amount of masts for all networks then yes. That's what the papers would suggest.

I've often moved and used plans on all of them and I have found antidotally myself to be of the same opinion.

For expected network quality:

1) Vodafone
    2) Eir
    3) Three

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Why when ye hear anything that means an iPhone could be worse than some other device it's straight on the defensive and making it personal. Why is it no possible to have a conversation about the technology rather than throwing your toys out of the pram.

If someone is wondering about data speeds before purchasing there's nothing wrong with someone saying that you won't get the fastest possible speeds on that network with an iPhone.

Someone mentioned HD Netflix up above that's not even supported in the XR but nobody comes out and says that here to people before they drop close to a grand on well old technology. That's not good for anybody.

What are the "high speed data networks some of the providers use" you are talking about?

iPhone XS uses "Gigabit-class LTE with 4x4 MIMO and LAA"

Is there something more advanced that Samsung flagships are using?

Genuine question.

Can you help myself and others here - I 'd appreciate if you could send us a link or two to get started at?
    When you say faster, to sum up - do you mean taking average network speeds, over an average time the s8 and s8+ is on average 10mbps faster?in which country was this? On LTE or HSPDA?

Just some more context please as you are talking to someone who is very very confident in what they are saying and has spent years over various jobs touching into this sector with a keen interest also. Willing to discuss here but it would help if you could just add some more context. Maybe we call all learn some more with more helpful info.

Irish network in Ireland over a year ago LTE advanced. S8 was the quickest (new range has them less the XR). Apple have made things worse with their dispute with Qualcomm which have been proven to be considerable faster modems. Apple have dropped Qualcomm completely from this years range.
    If you want the quickest data speeds you need something with a Qualcomm 345, The iphone would have it only for the dispute.
    Gigabite LTE is not for handsets here so it's a bit pointless as the iphones or others won't have access to it. It should take pressure of 4G for data though.

Just re-quoting for some context.

According to GSMarena here are the potential speeds of the iPhone and Galaxy s9

Galaxy S9
    HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (6CA) Cat18 1200/200 Mbps

iPhone Xs
    HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (4CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps,

Now lets take a look at those LTE-A bands. Currently in Ireland three are the only network to offer the full 225mbps beans on the network.

Interestingly Vodafone with more availability are standing by the claim of 150mbps even though both are running identical right now.

It leads myself to suggest that so far, actually getting near 200mbps vs 150mbps is seriously theoretical.

To sum up - the Galaxy has the ability to download 35% faster than the iPhone.

Equally though, I cannot see how in real world this could be ever be seen. It's a spec card with seemingly very little real world use. Even by Vodafones stance.

It supports 720p. officially that is HD. And I was being generalized to cover the iPhone XS and XS Max.

1792x828 is the resolution and is officially recognized as HD. Period.
    Irish network in Ireland over a year ago LTE advanced. S8 was the quickest (new range has them less the XR). Apple have made things worse with their dispute with Qualcomm which have been proven to be considerable faster modems. Apple have dropped Qualcomm completely from this years range.
    If you want the quickest data speeds you need something with a Qualcomm 345, The iphone would have it only for the dispute.
    Gigabite LTE is not for handsets here so it's a bit pointless as the iphones or others won't have access to it. It should take pressure of 4G for data though.

Thank you. So I see where we are both coming from here. I am linking to real world scenarios and not just paper specs. Although, that does go hand in hand with Android vs iOS all the time - interesting coincidence.

I do agree on you with the modem aspect. So far, it seems the intel modem is not great in weak signal areas and on the 800mhz band. Ones that are used in the countryside. I do remember when the x came out that the Qualcomm modem showed far better everyday signal retention than the intel. However, it is important to add that once the signal was at full the intel showed higher sustained download speeds. So again interestingly on paper the intel modem in ideal working conditions - was faster.
    But real world workings, day to day life suggested otherwise.

Again to sum up - If we are picking the best network with the most theoretical potential for the best performance then we would choose 3.

We must also conclude that the Samsung s9 also projects this and would give us the most potential. So Three and s9 for the best potential.

However, we know that with a massive amount of independent testing done, Threes network is on average the slowest. Nearly every single time. nothing is absolute.

Vodafone and iPhone Xs for the best real world experience
    Three and S9 for the best theoretical experience.

There is no throwing of any toys out of prams.

Nor is there anything being made personal.

I've questioned your post and its validity. Asked you to back it up and you haven't done that.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and obtained LTE Speeds of 80-100Mbps so how can you say Apple is not capable of high speeds?

I'm not an Iphone fan boy either, yes I prefer the phone to Samsungs or other androids but I'm prepared to accept that they can do somethings better but would like points to be factual and not just based on prejudices.

720p is standard definition HD, what I and most people would consider HD is 1080p or Full HD. Just to put it into perspective the S4 had a 1080p screen 5yrs ago.
    There's no reason the XR shouldn't have a 1080p screen, some people will be disappointed if they don't know exactly what there buying.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and obtained LTE Speeds of 80-100Mbps so how can you say Apple is not capable of high speeds?

Nobody said the new iPhones aren't capable of High speeds, there just not capable of the highest speeds. If you'd like to prove otherwise the floor is yours.

Nobody said the new iPhones aren't capable of High speeds, there just not capable of the highest speeds. If you'd like to prove otherwise the floor is yours.

Yes you did. As I have discussed, you lack serious specification at times which doesn't help you.

You can take that post and it makes sense both from your side and from the OP side. Hence the mis interpretation.
    720p is standard definition HD, what I and most people would consider HD is 1080p or Full HD. Just to put it into perspective the S4 had a 1080p screen 5yrs ago.
    There's no reason the XR shouldn't have a 1080p screen, some people will be disappointed if they don't know exactly what there buying.

Doesn't matter what you or most people consider HD. It's what the industry count it as overwhelmingly. Please don't go there - some of your posts over the years have been great. Don't be that person to trump his feelings over numbers. Please.

You have stated people being over defensive for Apple products but you are showing signs of overly defensive for your posts also.

You know as well as I do now, that when I said HD - It was HD. You can add specifics if you like to aid discussion but don't let that pride get in the way.

Your last point is valid in many ways.

• Advertisement

No as shown above you said it does not support the high speed data networks.

You never said "highest".

So I have pointed out that I have obtained 100mbps on a Iphone 8 so how is that not high?

The iPhone still doesn't support the High speed networks some providers are using. That statement is still correct. If you want to change it to highest it's still correct. Fact is your phone is not the fastest phone available on Irish networks right at this moment in time.
    100mbps is great, it's only a technology were discussing no need to go on the attack again.

As for HD sure what does it matter about quality as long as it fits the definition. Seriously, in this age anyone with the slightest interest in Technology would have to say hold up a minute. It's true to say it doesn't support full HD which by definition is full HD.

The iPhone still doesn't support the High speed networks some providers are using. That statement is still correct. If you want to change it to highest it's still correct. Fact is your phone is not the fastest phone available on Irish networks right at this moment in time.
    100mbps is great, it's only a technology were discussing no need to go on the attack again.

No attack just asking for facts.

So once again I'll ask what high speed network are you talking about?

What Irish network provides this?
    What speed can they obtain?

What Irish network provides this?
    What speed can they obtain?

There's only 3 networks, why don't you ask them each on the talk to forums. Your not going to believe me anyway. Tbh, i'd love to see their answers.

Only one Provider. Three.
    The iPhone doesn't Support the highest tier speed of 220mbps. It supports 150mbps.

As for HD sure what does it matter about quality as long as it fits the definition. Seriously, in this age anyone with the slightest interest in Technology would have to say hold up a minute. It's true to say it doesn't support full HD which by definition is full HD.

The iPhone XR does not Support Full HD everyone.

The iPhone XR is HD by fact however which was what the original point was.

now lets take your way of thinking by example and apply it.

the iPhone is HD. Not Full HD. Fact.
    The Samsung has the fastest theoretical speeds. In real life not attainable currently. Fact.

The people deserve to know all might one..........

A Samsung or some other brands will run faster on some Irish networks than an iPhone. I don't think I can be any clearer. This is not a theroy. Looks at research from other countries.
    Let's see what Murphy come back with when he asks them.

You come across that you don't think picture quality matters as long as it fits the definition. I find it bizzare someone would find 720p as acceptable in a €879 phone.

A Samsung or some other brands will run faster on some Irish networks than an iPhone. I don't think I can be any clearer. This is not a theroy. Looks at research from other countries.
    Let's see what Murphy come back with when he asks them.

You come across that you don't think picture quality matters as long as it fits the definition. I find it bizzare someone would find 720p as acceptable in a €879 phone.

you're actually borderline mental I think.

I never once said I as a person found it acceptable. It's not acceptable.

I said everyone else in the industry calls in HD. Therefore = HD. Your and my agreeable opinion counts for Jack all my friend. You're all about facts but supply none. You remind me of this person who I used to know who would read a random article online and then phone the well known companies and go over a list of why they were bad and the others were good. It's borderline madness.

And still not one link to Support anything you have said. I genuinely thought the discussion could be brought forward more from you. It's clear now this cannot happen.

Best of luck!

There's only 3 networks, why don't you ask them each on the talk to forums. Your not going to believe me anyway. Tbh, i'd love to see their answers.

I'm not going to ask them to back up your claim. Why should I?

You should be able to back up your own claim but clearly you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

LOL.

You clearly don’t know. If you did, you’d answer the questions.

All you’re being asked is to backup your claims.

• Advertisement

It's not a claim it's a fact.

If you want to do your own research to uncover the truth work away. You won't like the answers that's why I wouldn't even bother.

Keep believing 720p is what's typically considered HD these days.

I'm heading back to the future my people need me. No point hanging around here with dinosours living in a 60hz/720p world.

Advertisement