Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

It's not a claim it's a fact.

If you want to do your own research to uncover the truth work away. You won't like the answers that's why I wouldn't even bother.

Keep believing 720p is what's typically considered HD these days.

I'm heading back to the future my people need me. No point hanging around here with dinosours living in a 60hz/720p world.

You vs an officially used term the whole industry uses.

You're credibility is gone. It's no longer you vs us or whatever you have in your head. You are delusional.

To be fair I don't think he's a troll. Although maybe that's what an epic trollster does. Dam what a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's not a claim it's a fact.

If you want to do your own research to uncover the truth work away. You won't like the answers that's why I wouldn't even bother.

Keep believing 720p is what's typically considered HD these days.

I'm heading back to the future my people need me. No point hanging around here with dinosours living in a 60hz/720p world.

Please prove it's a fact.

Also, you're the only one mentioning the screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I really enjoyed that back and forth between you guys! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I’m not really sure what the argument is, but with just 720p, you won’t have the 1080p option within YouTube; so you are missing out.
    For the cost of the phone, that’s kinda lame.

I’m not really sure what the argument is, but with just 720p, you won’t have the 1080p option within YouTube; so you are missing out.
    For the cost of the phone, that’s kinda lame.

There wasn’t any argument anywhere about that?

I said the iphone is HD in response to a segway point brought up.

Anyway i’ll just enjoy my lovely Quad HD display while you lame ducks enjoy your contextually lame 1080. Yikes ..

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    There wasn’t any argument anywhere about that?
    I didn't really get the argument, at all.

Personally, if we are taking about expensive devices, HD means "1080p Full HD".
    Again personally, if someone says 4K, then that means 4096 × 2160 pixels (not Ultra HD).

There's some interpretation about it all, esp as the device makers are using their own interpretations when they release a product. For me, if you are charging your customer a large wad of cash for your product, then give them the true product.

I didn't really get the argument, at all.

Personally, if we are taking about expensive devices, HD means "1080p Full HD".
    Again personally, if someone says 4K, then that means 4096 × 2160 pixels (not Ultra HD).

There's some interpretation about it all, esp as the device makers are using their own interpretations when they release a product. For me, if you are charging your customer a large wad of cash for your product, then give them the true product.

Im conscious now at this point not to take up more of this thread.

In response:

I wasn't talking about expensive devices. I was talking about what qualifies for HD. Nothing else. At no point was there any justification for 720 or 1080 in a flagship device. I'd personally expect 1080p myself.

On your last point - They do give you the true product if you want it - It's called an iPhone Xs or Xs Max. To make the iPhone Xr cheaper you must cut corners off the flagship. I'd imagine they chose to pull back on the OLED display to LCD and back to aluminum from stainless steel and removing the second rear camera.

All of this iPhone vs android nonsense is muddled. My iPhone Xs has two cameras on the back - your google pixel 3 only has one? Wow. It must perform worse.

However - The reality is though so far the google Pixel 3 rear camera is showing to be actually better than the iPhone Xs.

It's not all about specs and nothing is absolute.

On your last point of manufactures making the terms up see this link I've attached.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-ultra-hd/

Here is a list according to Panasonics Australia help page.

720p = 1280 x 720 - is usually known as HD or "HD Ready" resolution
    1080p = 1920 x 1080 - is usually known as FHD or "Full HD" resolution
    1440p = 2560 x 1440 - commonly known as QHD or Quad HD resolution, and typically seen on gaming monitors and on high-end smartphones. 1440p is four times the resolution of 720p HD or "HD ready".
    2160p = 3840 x 2160 - commonly known as 4K, UHD or Ultra HD resolution. It's a very large display resolution and it's found on high-end TVs and monitors. 2160p is called 4K because it offers four times the pixels of 1080p FHD or "Full HD".
    4320p = 7680 x 4320 - is known as 8K and it offers 16 times more pixels than the regular 1080p FHD or "Full HD" resolution. Although you're not going to see TVs or computer monitors with this resolution too soon, you can test whether your computer can render such a large amount of data

iPhone Xr had a HD screen.
    iPhone Xs has a Full HD screen

Up to everyone else to make up their mind which is important to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have a Note 9 and a iphone max. I was doing a bit of comparisons between the 2 screens , as we know the note has a higher resolution.

For normal viewing the iphone screen is more pleasing to look at, it actualy looks better. You can see Apple spent time and effort calibrating it. The whites on the iphone look proper white and brighter whereas the Note kinda a greyish hue to it.

When you watch a 1440p HDR 60fps on the Note 9 the screen goes into beast mode and it really looks spectacular. However i put the iphone beside it and watched the same video side by side at it's max viewing 1080p60fps HDR and it really is as good as the 1440p screen. I could hardly tell any difference at all, equally as good. Overall i'd pick the iphone screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The Verge written review - https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/23/18011306/apple-iphone-xr-review-camera-screen-battery-price

The Verge video review - https://youtu.be/lYeshTMudR0

MKBHD unboxing (Red) - https://youtu.be/vc1NdYXlaxA

Jonathan Morrison unboxing & impressions (Blue) - https://youtu.be/Bat05NtQ4y8

UrAvgConsumer one week with the XR (White) - https://youtu.be/UP7MmcrfUI0

FourFourFM wrote: »

I love the intro to that video of the verge.

"The iPhone Xr and its Apples new mainstream iPhone that starts at $750.....Excuse me.....are you already typing. Are you already leaving a comment about display resolution and pricing and about Oled. Stop. Just stop. We can have a great chat about that later."

Love it and I'm not usually a fan of their videos as such.

• Advertisement

I wasn't talking about expensive devices.
    I didn't say you were, I said I was; hence why I said personally.
    I'd personally expect 1080p myself.
    That's all I'm saying. At that price point I think the Xr should be.
    On your last point - They do give you the true product if you want it - It's called an iPhone Xs or Xs Max.
    Yes, and they charge you a whole lot extra for it. I don't think they need to for the price of the Xr.
    On your last point of manufactures making the terms up see this link I've attached.
    I didn't say they were making up terms, just that I've seen some interpretation used for some products.
    Up to everyone else to make up their mind which is important to them.
    Totally agree. If someone wants to spend their money, their way, then it's up to them. In the same manner, Apple (or others) can charge what they want for their product. Personally, for €879 to an Irish consumer, I think Apple shouldn't be going backwards with their displays (I understand their reasons, I just don't like it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

The Verge written review - https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/23/18011306/apple-iphone-xr-review-camera-screen-battery-price

The Verge video review - https://youtu.be/lYeshTMudR0

MKBHD unboxing (Red) - https://youtu.be/vc1NdYXlaxA

Jonathan Morrison unboxing & impressions (Blue) - https://youtu.be/Bat05NtQ4y8

UrAvgConsumer one week with the XR (White) - https://youtu.be/UP7MmcrfUI0

Very positive reviews ... looking like I will be upgrading from a 6S!

Another one here with the Coral finish: https://youtu.be/U4otE9sE0mQ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm out of contract and have a iPhone 6. Where is the best deal/contact on this today?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Picked up the XR this morning in a Vodafone shop.

Coming from an iPhone 7 (soon to be on Adverts!) so it's a decent jump.
    They didn't have a display model or any out of the box so had to take a leap of faith that the damn thing wouldn't be too big.

Anyway, was happy on unboxing that I'd made the right decision. Screen is perfect for me.
    More ppi would be lost on my no-longer-in-my-thirties eyes, tbh! 1080p? Meh!

Still setting it up now (note: MBP required an update to recognise it), so looking for a quick interim case for it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm considering the XR but the one thing that is holding me back is the 3D touch. From the reviews, 3D touch no longer exists and has been replaced by Haptic Touch but it doesn't state if a long press on app icons like calls/message brings up short cuts or previews etc or is it only available in messages/emails to move the cursor to where you want it within a message.

It seems ridiculous but if its only available for moving the cursor then I'm out and i'll hold onto my 6S until such time its re-introduced.

I'm considering the XR but the one thing that is holding me back is the 3D touch. From the reviews, 3D touch no longer exists and has been replaced by Haptic Touch but it doesn't state if a long press on app icons like calls/message brings up short cuts or previews etc or is it only available in messages/emails to move the cursor to where you want it within a message.

It seems ridiculous but if its only available for moving the cursor then I'm out and i'll hold onto my 6S until such time its re-introduced.

Its no longer there to give shortcuts. The long hold invokes the wiggle of the apps instead of shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its no longer there to give shortcuts. The long hold invokes the wiggle of the apps instead of shortcuts.

Well there we go, no upgrade for me this year as that's a pretty considerable step back IMO as I use 3D touch all the time for calls, messages, previewing emails etc etc

The force touch on the call icon is the only thing I think I'll miss. I tried to use it earlier in fact.

A big shiny screen is making up for it somewhat.

The spacebar to move cursor function works great, though. That function would be a big miss - even though I only discovered it here a few weeks back. :p

Dades wrote: »
    The force touch on the call icon is the only thing I think I'll miss. I tried to use it earlier in fact.

A big shiny screen is making up for it though.

The spacebar to move cursor function works great, though. That function would be a big miss - even though I only discovered it here a few weeks back. :p

Yeah I recently found that also and I love it! Fixed a quite daily annoyance when trying to be specific at times.

Another iOS 12 feature I love is the auto populate of the verification texts when you get sent them to you phone. It's just great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hows everyone liking their Xs Max?
    I'm going to upgrade in November and was going to get the Xs Max but then saw the Mate P20 Pro which hardware wise is a fantastic phone..just a pity it runs android and not iOS :)
    Although to be honest I'm getting bored of ios..its not so much the operating system I would miss but facetime and all those nicely coded apps which tend to suck on android or at least used to.
    And Apple pay. Plus it means if I did switch there's no point in me buying the latest apple watch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

My wife managed to pick me up a black Xr today, 128gb. First impressions are - love the size, it’s screen is only slightly bigger than the X due to the bezels, but the entire device feels chunkier/solid without being unwieldy. I’ve flip flopped to and from plus devices for years, but this might be a nice middle ground. Maybe could be a tiny little bigger. Seems brighter at full brightness than the X. If you look at text very close you can see the lower res but hopefully I’ll get used to it, also the LCD has a slight run off shadowing near the edges not present on the X. Camera is great, portrait with the wider lens is cool. Oddly, the phone was completely uncharged on opening. Never had that before with any iPhone. Will report some more when I’ve used it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Going from an oled back to LCD is a step back..would you not consider the xs?
    Then again the missus wouldn't be happy :)

Blazer wrote: »
    Going from an oled back to LCD is a step back..would you not consider the xs?
    Then again the missus wouldn't be happy :)

She has the xs herself :)

I was on the fence between the xr and xs max, but I couldn't part with that much cash, especially as I didnt want 64GB, so my first xs choice would have to be 256GB.

Using the xr a bit more, it's clear that some apps look better than others. OS apps and most of the big names (twitter, etc) that use autolayout seem to scale nicely, resulting in more room on screen due to density, so more messages/email/etc in view, and crisp. Others just scale to fit and the fuzziness is more noticeable. Coming from any other device pre-X, you probably wouldnt see it, but you may due to the contrast from one app to the next.

My wife managed to pick me up a black Xr today, 128gb. First impressions are - love the size, it’s screen is only slightly bigger than the X due to the bezels, but the entire device feels chunkier/solid without being unwieldy. I’ve flip flopped to and from plus devices for years, but this might be a nice middle ground. Maybe could be a tiny little bigger. Seems brighter at full brightness than the X. If you look at text very close you can see the lower res but hopefully I’ll get used to it, also the LCD has a slight run off shadowing near the edges not present on the X. Camera is great, portrait with the wider lens is cool. Oddly, the phone was completely uncharged on opening. Never had that before with any iPhone. Will report some more when I’ve used it more.

You may find this interesting regarding the depleted battery on opening:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpaJZX-Dvxc/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=17seehbky60rl

You may find this interesting regarding the depleted battery on opening:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpaJZX-Dvxc/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=17seehbky60rl

Ah, nice find. Worried it was a bigger issue as I’ve been through an awful lot of iPhones and never experienced it. Simple explanation tho, cheers

Ah, nice find. Worried it was a bigger issue as I’ve been through an awful lot of iPhones and never experienced it. Simple explanation tho, cheers

some advice.

put the phone back in the box and try and replicate that video. If it does then you have a risk that the buttons were put under pressure in transit.

I'd call Apple and let them know about this. I wouldn't return it though, just make sure its logged with customer service and AppleCare.

That way you have a VERY strong consumer law protection for 6 years. It's there to be used in this exact scenario. so if you suddenly find the power button stops working 15months in or whatever there is a logged note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Went into CompuB today to see the XR. Not a bad phone when I held my X beside it. The bezels aren’t as bad as they look in pics and all the fuss about the screen is nonsense unless your holding it up to about 1cm from your eye...couldn’t hold it since they have the phones locked down. Didn’t do much with the haptic touch. didn’t really know what to do because it didn’t work on anything I tried apart from the control center and it’s the same as a long press on the 6 albeit with a haptic buzz. A good phone overall IMO

Have the XR a few days now. Lovin' it. The camera is the business. This does not feel or perform in any way like a "budget" model.

Have a Spigen case due to arrive on Tuesday, in the meantime I'm holding it for dear life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Dades wrote: »
    Have the XR a few days now. Lovin' it. The camera is the business. This does not feel or perform in any way like a "budget" model.

Have a Spigen case due to arrive on Tuesday, in the meantime I'm holding it for dear life.

At least the band is aluminum and not stainless steel, won’t scratch as easily. How’s the battery life?

Advertisement