Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Played with the XR yesterday in Harvey Norman. Was blown away by the screen. Sure you can see pixels if you put it like 4 inches from your eye but at normal distance it’s hard to tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

After having the XS Max since launch day have to say it is an amazing phone. Loving the screen the camera and the sound is amazing.

I will admit I miss touch ID. While face ID works as it should. It lacks the convenience of face ID. Touch ID would be my preference.
    The notch is grand, it does not get in the way as much as I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Castlebel

Got my iPhone XS Max on Friday as I wanted to compare to the XR first. I’m upgrading from the X and I always said if they made a Plus size phone with the X design it would be the perfect phone and it’s true. The x feels tiny now. I’ve noticed a huge improvement in Face ID, it opens a lot faster and seems much more accurate I’m having practically no issues with it recognising me. Overall really impressed with the phone so far. The price is a lot to swallow and that was my main reason for waiting to see the XR but no regrets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Dades wrote: »
    Have the XR a few days now. Lovin' it. The camera is the business. This does not feel or perform in any way like a "budget" model.
    Well, it’s not really a budget model :) (except in the Apple world)
    Out of interest, did you care much about the color choice given that (assuming) you’ll have a cover? I don’t see anyone without a phone cover, so the multiple color options on some phones never seem a selling point for me.

Castlebel wrote: »
    I’ve noticed a huge improvement in Face ID, it opens a lot faster and seems much more accurate I’m having practically no issues with it recognising me.
    For me, the last update really improved FaceID. Had huge issues with it previously; works most of the time now.
    When I picked up the Max in Harvey Norman, it didn’t seem that much different to my X. Maybe cause my phone was in its case. Just didn’t scream out as needing to change.
    Interesting to see who can be the first to move the camera/FaceID under the screen (if possible); that to me is the next game changer (although the finger print scanner under the screen is of interest to me as I’d still prefer the finger print option).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I went up to have a look at the XR in CompuB today (just to see), looks great! I’d agree with other posts above, the screen also looks great. Size is a bit weird to hold compared to my X but all round I think Apple did well with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well, it’s not really a budget model :) (except in the Apple world)
    Out of interest, did you care much about the color choice given that (assuming) you’ll have a cover? I don’t see anyone without a phone cover, so the multiple color options on some phones never seem a selling point for me.
    I half thought about getting the red but TBH every phone I've had has been black/grey.

Like you say, getting put in a case anyway so I'm thinking resale is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

9 million XR units sold in the first weekend, 1m short of the 10m predicted by analysts.
    https://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_xr_sold_9_million_units_in_its_opening_weekend-news-33960.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

This is the guy that showed the initial issues with the overheating i9.

He openly loves Apple products, however, he often calls them out of stuff he does not like so take this video as you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

flexcon wrote: »
    This is the guy that showed the initial issues with the overheating i9.

He openly loves Apple products, however, he often calls them out of stuff he does not like so take this video as you please.

I think you may be mixing him up with Dave Lee who posted this video highlighting the i9 situation.

Jonathan posted a video defending the i9 in response to Dave and others videos: https://youtu.be/Y-p9-QZSdPM

Regarding the video above though. It’s always interesting to see people slate a product that they haven’t seen based on specs. This shows the true reality that resolution numbers on paper doesn’t necessarily equal better looking display. Apple definitely did a lot with the LCD to make the lack of 1080p not that important to the main users.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I think you may be mixing him up with Dave Lee who posted this video highlighting the i9 situation.

Jonathan posted a video defending the i9 in response to Dave and others videos: https://youtu.be/Y-p9-QZSdPM

Regarding the video above though. It’s always interesting to see people slate a product that they haven’t seen based on specs. This shows the true reality that resolution numbers on paper doesn’t necessarily equal better looking display. Apple definitely did a lot with the LCD to make the lack of 1080p not that important to the main users.

Ah you're dead right. That's twice I have confused the two. Good spot.

I compared the XR side by side with a mate's X today, looking at the screen in the same apps.

The only difference we could discern was the X being slightly brighter at highest brightness. Couldn't see any more or less pixels (other eyes may vary!)

The X seemed big compared to the iPhone 7, but now the X seems 'compact' compared to the XR. The difference in bezels seems less in real life than in online material, maybe due to the screen being bigger.

Surprised the XR hasn't met expectations in terms of sales, but early days yet.

I compared the XR side by side with a mate's X today, looking at the screen in the same apps.

The only difference we could discern was the X being slightly brighter at highest brightness. Couldn't see any more or less pixels (other eyes may vary!)

The X seemed big compared to the iPhone 7, but now the X seems 'compact' compared to the XR. The difference in bezels seems less in real life than in online material, maybe due to the screen being bigger.

Surprised the XR hasn't met expectations in terms of sales, but early days yet.

According to the above article 88m expected to be produced this quarter down from 90m. Still very impressive and many companies could only dream of such figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ended up plunging for the xs Max today. I’m used to the plus but still the screen is huge on it. And I live in dread of dropping the bloody thing.
    Got a case for it, ordered 2 nice wireless chargers on amazon and then priced AppleCare. Holy frap €300 .

You've just cost me €11! Had never considered wireless charging before, but had a quick scope on Amazon and picked up some budget charger for £10. Will be handy in work as the phone always sits on the desk during the day.

Trialling Prime at the moment so making hay and getting stuff delivered free before it runs out!

You've just cost me €11! Had never considered wireless charging before, but had a quick scope on Amazon and picked up some budget charger for £10. Will be handy in work as the phone always sits on the desk during the day.

Trialling Prime at the moment so making hay and getting stuff delivered free before it runs out!

Get prime through the student Id way. There’s a guide on it in bargain alerts which works out 6 months free and £35 a year afterwards. You get the uk version of prime video also. I did it and now have it for the next 5 years at this price.
    Also yes a charger for work and one for home. I might need another one or two though at that price. :)
    I got the rav one which is highly rated also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anybody had any luck in getting an XS Max through Vodafone? Been trying the last few weeks to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anybody had any luck in getting an XS Max through Vodafone? Been trying the last few weeks to no avail.

got one yesterday....just kept ringing the store and eventually went for the 256gb silver model...only one they had in stock with a 512gb.
    I went on the 80 a month package and with a €100 discount if you ported from another network it cost me €530 thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Shn99 wrote: »
    I guess we’ll never know how any iPhone sells from this quarter on. Cook announced last night that they’d no longer be publishing sales figures for iPhones.

Unless you have shares in Apple - which I’m guessing the majority of people here don’t - who cares?

• Advertisement

Not sure why one needs to have stock to be interested in a company's financials, especially a company that holds a fascination for so many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I was interested recently in how well the X sold, I was hoping it didn’t do to well so Apple might have rethought the pricing of it. I do find it interesting sometimes seeing how well certain products sell compared to others. Eg watching the decline of the iPod year by year. It was always a small source of info that might help see where things were going with Apple.

Not sure why one needs to have stock to be interested in a company's financials, especially a company that holds a fascination for so many people.

That was the exact reason I posted about it, by Apple not reporting on sales figures from here on out it could signify a fall in iPhone sales(which i would’ve thought people would be interested in knowing) but hey ho you can’t please everyone.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I was interested recently in how well the X sold, I was hoping it didn’t do to well so Apple might have rethought the pricing of it. I do find it interesting sometimes seeing how well certain products sell compared to others. Eg watching the decline of the iPod year by year. It was always a small source of info that might help see where things were going with Apple.

On the offset - I have shares in Apple.

Apple defies all price elasticity. It doesn't follow the usual trends.

This change in reporting does suggest that the iPhone sales are not going to be as strong as the market wants, but ultimately Apples revenue and profit is shifting to services and other products such as the watch and home pod(although too early to tell what that adds to the bottom line).

I think the growth is gone, but even if Apple did not grow anymore and maintained its revenues are going up and up and up! Still a good solid company but time will tell if they pushed the price too far.

Ultimately its people like yourself and your buying power dictate if it sells well.

I suppose lastly, Apple cares about margins and profits and not sheer numbers of phones sold. In other words it would rather sell 1 phone at $1000 than 3 phones at $300 as the first option gives profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don’t like to pull the Steve Jobs line, but I feel like when he was there Apple was more balanced. I’d imagine he probably put his foot down a few times when profit was being touted ahead of user experience. To me it seems like him and Cook would of had a good dynamic between them.

Now with Cook at the helm Apple have pushed more and more towards higher prices, removing any extras and only giving the bare minimum when it comes to free services.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s great at supply and lately it’s become a lot easier getting a product on launch day and having things like Apple Pay and Music here pretty quickly are things I’d imagine he excels at. But it seems like the balance has shifted more towards profits then the product overall.

I remember a time at Apple events where they’d bring out a new device and the price would actually drop with each iteration. Now it’s just higher and higher with each event.

I remember a time at Apple events where they’d bring out a new device and the price would actually drop with each iteration. Now it’s just higher and higher with each event.
    Yeah, remember upgrading every year and selling your old phone to pay for the new one!

#goodtimes

Now with Cook at the helm Apple have pushed more and more towards higher prices, removing any extras and only giving the bare minimum when it comes to free services.
    This is definitely the trend with Cook. Jobs p!ssed me off with his attitude to the antenna issue, but he (or someone like him) is badly needed in Apple now.
    IMO he'd have pushed for the under-screen fingerprint sensor, and as small a notch as possible for the phone to look as good as possible. And it would have been on the X already; with the aim to get an under-screen camera out in the next version.

The removal of the headphone jack isn't a big deal for everyone. But I always got the sense from Apple that it was a move that allowed them to sell pricey and very profitable Bluetooth earphones rather than anything else. And others are/will follow (such as the OnePlus 6T).

Prices now mean that for other manufactures €500 is seen as inexpensive. And for Apple, €879 is the cheap version.

I mean, when you are selling a phone for as much cash as people are paying for the Xs and Max, why not thrown in a basic cover until the customer buys another one? Does it help increase AppleCare sales?

Apple is a corporation, just like any other. It's on top at the moment, and doing brilliantly well. Can the annual or biennial cycle continue for their phones? Will it get to a price point, or like the iPad you don't need to change for 4-5years, before things change in a huge fashion? I'd imagine they are planning for the future; but is it based on profit or innovation?

People have to remember that Cook was over the entire Supply chain organization for Apple so he was effectively a bean counter. You need someone to balance that role with Jobs role etc.
    Look at Tesla...they have no one like that.. Musk is doing both roles really and there’s no one to give him a balanced viewpoint.
    Now that Cook is in charge ideally we need someone like Ive to balance Cook’s tendencies to squeeze more money out of people.
    For instance not including a fast charger in the latest phones is a scandal. I get that Apple products tend to be pricier because of the work that goes into making them but still it wouldn’t hurt to include them.
    Look at the new Huawei Mate 20 Pro just coming out..a really fantastic price of kit, it’s around €300 less and includes a fast charger. However there’s huge problems with the display and posts on reddit etc on the people getting their phones on launch day. Most have to be returned.
    Can you imagine if that was Apple? It doesn’t happen because Apple control the entire end to end process so if we have to pay a bit more for that reliability I’m good with that.

The removal of the headphone jack isn't a big deal for everyone. But I always got the sense from Apple that it was a move that allowed them to sell pricey and very profitable Bluetooth earphones rather than anything else. And others are/will follow (such as the OnePlus 6T).
    Not buying that, tbh. They included a set of lightening headphones and an adaptor with every new phone.

Sure they sold plenty of their (fantastic) AirPods too, but lots of other bluetooth headphone makers made out as well.

• Advertisement

Was the removal of the jack not to do with waterproofing and/or using up that space internally for something else?

Advertisement