Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Shn99 wrote: »
    Was the removal of the jack not to do with waterproofing and/or using up that space internally for something else?

was to do with freeing up space.
    Also to do edge to edge screens you need to make the phones thicker or drop the port. Both Apple and Google a year later went with the removal of the port.

Talking to TechCrunch, Google’s Mario Queiroz said that Google wants to make all-screen phones. And having a 3.5mm headphone jack inside the phone doesn’t fit with that design strategy.

“The primary reason [for dropping the jack] is establishing a mechanical design path for the future,” Queiroz said. “We want the display to go closer and closer to the edge. Our team said, ‘if we’re going to make the shift, let’s make it sooner, rather than later.’ Last year may have been too early. Now there are more phones on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Can anybody recommend a clear case for an XR?
    Usually go for a Spiegen but early reviews mixed on Amazon

Also glass screen protector recommendations welcome 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Dades wrote: »
    Not buying that, tbh. They included a set of lightening headphones and an adaptor with every new phone.
    If you bought the Xs, Max or Xr, you don't get it. A simple adapter, that Apple will charge you extra (€10) for, even after spending €1679 on the most expensive phone. Reports suggest they sell plenty of the adapters as well.

The removal of the jack was unlikely to be based on one single reason; but selling pricey Bluetooth AirPods, to add even more profit, was an attractive bonus. And I commend them for getting it right; which is why Google released the Pixel Buds as the answer (near €140 worth of an answer) to them removing the jack from their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

If you bought the Xs, Max or Xr, you don't get it. A simple adapter, that Apple will charge you extra (€10) for, even after spending €1679 on the most expensive phone. Reports suggest they sell plenty of the adapters as well.

The removal of the jack was unlikely to be based on one single reason; but selling pricey Bluetooth AirPods, to add even more profit, was an attractive bonus. And I commend them for getting it right; which is why Google released the Pixel Buds as the answer (near €140 worth of an answer) to them removing the jack from their phones.
    7 and 8s shipped from September onwards ditched the adapter too.

7 and 8s shipped from September onwards ditched the adapter too.
    Wasn't aware of that. Makes sense from Apple's point of view.

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a clear case for an XR?
    Usually go for a Spiegen but early reviews mixed on Amazon

Also glass screen protector recommendations welcome 😀

I went for the incipio dualpro (clear ).
    Will hopefully have it Monday..have the apple leather case but I think I'll return it as its too slippy and impossible to hold one handed really for certain actions.

I also got my 2 x ravpro wireless kits..2 day delivery from amazon= sweet :)
    I'll be testing them out later this weekend and will let people know how they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Hi Blazer,

How's the case working out? I'm about to buy an XR, I usually just default to an OtterBox case but wouldn't mind a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

How are you all finding the max's OLED. I do see a lot of max screen bashing from XR owners saying the LCD is better or very little difference's and not worth the extra money over a XR

Personally, i think the max is one of the best screens i have seen if not the best and i own a Samsung Note 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Anyone notice the flurry of ‘cheap’ iPhone XS Max devices appearing on adverts and sold by shops in the city?

From 1,189 for 256 sounds too good to be true and a single google query returned suggestions of fakes.

Anyone with experience?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    How are you all finding the max's OLED. I do see a lot of max screen bashing from XR owners saying the LCD is better or very little difference's and not worth the extra money over a XR

Personally, i think the max is one of the best screens i have seen if not the best and i own a Samsung Note 9.
    OLED is superior to LED, not sure why people would bash it. The bezel is larger too in the Xr (noticeable when I saw one over the weekend).
    The price difference is also down to the dual cameras on the XS.
    But like any of the arguments from iPhone v Android options, it comes down to your own choice. It's worth the extra money to some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Tazium wrote: »
    Anyone notice the flurry of ‘cheap’ iPhone XS Max devices appearing on adverts and sold by shops in the city?

From 1,189 for 256 sounds too good to be true and a single google query returned suggestions of fakes.

Anyone with experience?

Had a look there, sellers seem to have good feedback. They probably got them through eglobal for cheaper. EDIT: Theyre going for 1,089 on eglobal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Had a look there, sellers seem to have good feedback. They probably got them through eglobal for cheaper. EDIT: Theyre going for 1,089 on eglobal

New from Apple there are €1,179

So it's €90 less without consumer law protection with the manufacturer

That's like 7% saving? I wonder in this case is that really worth it considering the product we are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

flexcon wrote: »
    New from Apple there are €1,179

So it's €90 less without consumer law protection with the manufacturer

That's like 7% saving? I wonder in this case is that really worth it considering the product we are talking about.

The €1,179 is for 64GB.

The poster mentioned they are 256GB which are €1,349.

The reason is likely people getting the phones on an upgrade and selling for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The €1,179 is for 64GB.

The reason is likely people getting the phones on an upgrade and selling for profit.

ah yes I missed that. Couldn't find it for that price to be fair.

Hi Blazer,

How's the case working out? I'm about to buy an XR, I usually just default to an OtterBox case but wouldn't mind a change.

It hasn’t arrived yet :( tomorrow amazon is telling me.

Micky 32 wrote: »

I love it. Find it a huge upgrade over my 7+.
    The difference is immediately obvious on films etc.
    In fact the screen on the max is rated as practically perfection according to tests.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/24/iphone-xs-max-oled-display-reclaims-best-smartphone-display-crown-for-apple/amp/

Also I’m very impressed with faceid on the max. I haven’t once wished for touchid which surprised me greatly as I bitched and moaned about it not being on it.

Hi Blazer,

Case finally arrived. It’s very good for the price so paid for it compared to the Apple leather case.€17 vs €60 so it’s a winner in my opinion. It gives full protection all around so I’m very happy with it. Drop protection is good on it. As opposed to the otter box it doesn’t cover the screen. I’ve always hated screen protectors.

I also picked up a car wireless charger for around €25 on Amazon. So both for €42 compared to €70 from Argos for the Apple case (had to get one same day to protect phone).
    But that’s getting returned today :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7VSQV1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The €1,179 is for 64GB.

They are grey market imports and the sellers don't pay tax plus buy in bulk. I buy all my phones from adverts off these sellers. All fine. Can understand the confusion/suspicion though.

So after using the incipio case all day I have to say it’s miles better than the official case.
    I found the leather case very slippy and always worried about dropping it. The incipio case does feel slippy but yet once you’re holding it I never felt like I’d drop it.
    For €17 you can’t go wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Anyone know the best place to pick this up on bill pay? Contract with virgin media is just up and I wouldn't mind staying but they don't seem to have it in stock. Does anywhere in Dublin have it in stock in-store? Like a kid on Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Blazer wrote: »
    So after using the incipio case all day I have to say it’s miles better than the official case.
    I found the leather case very slippy and always worried about dropping it. The incipio case does feel slippy but yet once you’re holding it I never felt like I’d drop it.
    For €17 you can’t go wrong with it.

Can you tell me what incipio case you went for please and where did you buy it? Thanks

ROSSKI wrote: »
    Can you tell me what incipio case you went for please and where did you buy it? Thanks

I went for the incipio dual pro
    Its a clear case which is similar to Apple's silicone case but a lot sturdier and cheaper.
    Its called dual pro as the coloured versions have a extra part which clips in behind. No idea why but for the price I'm extremely happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Incipio-IPH-1757-CLR-IPH-DualPro/dp/B07FKB7YX7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542004536&sr=8-2&keywords=incipio+dualpro+iphone+xs+max

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Blazer wrote: »
    I went for the incipio dual pro
    Its a clear case which is similar to Apple's silicone case but a lot sturdier and cheaper.
    Its called dual pro as the coloured versions have a extra part which clips in behind. No idea why but for the price I'm extremely happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Incipio-IPH-1757-CLR-IPH-DualPro/dp/B07FKB7YX7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542004536&sr=8-2&keywords=incipio+dualpro+iphone+xs+max

Gentleman thanks - one ordered today

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

Any positive/ negtive feedback about the XR? I own an Iphone 8, but thinking about an upgrade. Just want to make sure it´s worth it...

Murph76 wrote: »
    Any positive/ negtive feedback about the XR? I own an Iphone 8, but thinking about an upgrade. Just want to make sure it´s worth it...

Bigger screen and a bit faster. Otherwise not really worth it u less you really want that larger screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

OSI wrote: »
    Don’t know about coming from an 8 but I bought an XS Max for myself and an XR for the wife and I’d be hard pressed to justify the price difference having seen them both in day to day use, the XR is a beautiful bit of kit.

Yeah, oddly I came from an X to Xr and I've been pleasantly surprised. Screen differences were only noticeable inches from my face and only in the first few days. It's a nice solid device and for me personally, the screen size is perfect. Thought the X was a tiny bit too small and the max a bit too big, but thats all personal preference. Very decent battery life and camera, even with fake-portrait I haven't yet missed the second the lens. While still an expensive device, I agree that the large premium for Xs and Xs Max are difficult to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

OSI wrote: »
    Don’t know about coming from an 8 but I bought an XS Max for myself and an XR for the wife and I’d be hard pressed to justify the price difference having seen them both in day to day use, the XR is a beautiful bit of kit.

In my eyes anyway, watching hdr 1080p60fps i can notice the difference quite a bit, the contrast against the blacks is nice and high res photos. Personally i couldn't go back to lcd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I own the Xs max. I love it. But does anyone else thing aesthetic wise it’s a bit of an ugly phone.
    Camera bump looks awful compared to my previous 8 plus.

have a case around mine so its flush all the way.
    Absolutely love the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Anyone else suffering from an RSI(tendinitis) since getting the Xs Max, or just me?

I’m trying to think what’s changed in the last 2-3 months, and the only thing is, the upgrade to the Xs max.

Advertisement