Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

eeloe wrote: »
    Anyone else suffering from an RSI(tendinitis) since getting the Xs Max, or just me?

I’m trying to think what’s changed in the last 2-3 months, and the only thing is, the upgrade to the Xs max.

What case are you using?
    I notice from the few days I was using the Apple one I found it very restrictive on my hand. Whereas the incipio one allows me to hold it a bit more relaxed

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Blazer wrote: »
    What case are you using?
    I notice from the few days I was using the Apple one I found it very restrictive on my hand. Whereas the incipio one allows me to hold it a bit more relaxed

Yes only ever used the apple cases. Have done for years.

May try a different case.

Thought it was just from doing too much in the gym but i’m not doing anything differently in there....only variable is the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

eeloe wrote: »
    Yes only ever used the apple cases. Have done for years.

May try a different case.

Thought it was just from doing too much in the gym but i’m not doing anything differently in there....only variable is the phone.

Try the incipio one I linked above... worth a shot for €17. Still can’t believe it’s that cheap

Anyone if the XR would be cheaper at the airport I’m going to Birmingham soon wondering it’s would be cheaper at duty free

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anyone if the XR would be cheaper at the airport I’m going to Birmingham soon wondering it’s woukdbe cheaper at duty free

there's no duty on electronics. you may get a 20-50€ off but it's not because it's duty free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m currently using a 6S and went into my local Three shop to upgrade to an XR but while there the guy in the shop showed me the Huawei P20 Pro and it’s an impressive bit of kit so much so that I didn’t change my phone as I wanted to research the P20 a little more. By all accounts it seems a better phone than the XR, better screen, bigger memory, faster processor (I think) much better camera and cheaper (by €170 on my current plan) so now I’m really confused and don’t know what to do. I’ve had an iPhone since the 3GS and don’t really want to leave Apple but I’m very very tempted by the P20!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Sometimes its worth switching from Apple to Android and vice versa just to see what else is out there and to experience something different. By all accounts the P20 is a fine phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Harcrid wrote: »
    Sometimes its worth switching from Apple to Android and vice versa just to see what else is out there and to experience something different. By all accounts the P20 is a fine phone.
    Agreed, I went from an IPhone 5 to an S4 before going back to an iPhone 6 and eventually an X although admittedly things have come along quite a bit since then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I’m currently using a 6S and went into my local Three shop to upgrade to an XR but while there the guy in the shop showed me the Huawei P20 Pro and it’s an impressive bit of kit so much so that I didn’t change my phone as I wanted to research the P20 a little more. By all accounts it seems a better phone than the XR, better screen, bigger memory, faster processor (I think) much better camera and cheaper (by €170 on my current plan) so now I’m really confused and don’t know what to do. I’ve had an iPhone since the 3GS and don’t really want to leave Apple but I’m very very tempted by the P20!

That P20 pro is a serious piece of technology for the money. Virgin have a pretty decent deal where they're giving a set of Bose QC35s with it..

Personally, I've generally tended to stick with iPhones since they came out but I recently picked up an S9+ and was really taken by how good it is.. In fairness, I did buy the XSMax today as my upgrade but I only got it because i want something that I'll be able to sell in 3 years to pay for my next upgrade, plus I practically got it for nothing and have to stay on billpay anyway. I'm not sure if I will actually use the device this side of Christmas, the need to change back to IOS is not that great at the moment...

But yes I can see how you would be tempted to leave the apple ecosystem, android had come a long way and the phones have become really well specced and with devices such as the P20 pro and their price point you'd be mad to not consider one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

XR is about €820 in Heathrow for anybody travelling from UK

Sterling is getting a bit of a hammering too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The A12 processor and GPU are apparently still the most powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

A11 & A12 Bionic way outperform the Kirin 970 protector on the P20 Pro. A The A10 of 2016 manages to beat it in the single core performance but falls just short in multi core performance. The A9 of 2015 beats it in single core performance too but not in the multi core.
    A11 https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10849992
    A12 https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10849995
    A10 https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10850001
    A9
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10850002
    Kirin 970 https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10849828

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Screen is better on the P20 Pro, how much of that is noticeable to you is dependant on you.

Processor on the P20 is considerably behind the XR. Again, the P20 will still be plenty fast enough for majority of uses.

Camera - daylight no major difference, night time performance on the P20 pro is good. Again depends on how picky you are.

Realistically both are good phones. The XR is let down on paper by its screen, in real life its a nice screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Swapped from a P20 Pro lately to another Android but did the usual due diligence and all that.

The screen on the pro isn't in the highest quality like a Note 9/S9/xs/max but I never really found it wanting. Certainly when I looked at the XR I felt it was nicer.

Battery is excellent.

Camera isn't a point and shoot - you need to take a second to make sure you're happy with the shot. It takes a little more effort than is the norm but the results, particularly night mode, are great. I've taken some of my best photos with it, I've also taken some rubbish ones.

The EMUI skin over Android is full of features but even with a replacement launcher it's visually lacking a bit. Kind of takes away from the polish of Android 8/9 on a well performing device.

If it was me and I was making the move from iOS to Android I'd be looking at a Pixel or maybe a OnePlus device. You won't be disappointed with the P20 but the skin can be a little childish.

is the XR a plus phone like is it big? just dont want to movie from 6s plus to a small phone you really get a proper look at them in compu as they are stuck to the table

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems to be a big push on the P20 Pro. Similar story here, went into Vodafone looking to either upgrade to XS, the Pixel 3 or the Note 9 but the sales guy was really trying to talk me into an P20 Pro, which I hadn't considered at all. Went away and did some research and I don't think it's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Huawei have a big incentive for Christmas hence staff pushing their devices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

is the XR a plus phone like is it big? just dont want to movie from 6s plus to a small phone you really get a proper look at them in compu as they are stuck to the table
    The XR has a bigger screen in a smaller body than the 6S. If you couldn't decide on a regular or a plus, it's your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

:confused:
    grinder23 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

grinder23 wrote:

I work for one of the phone networks and we do not have a Huawei incentive, we did have one 3 months ago, personally I recommend the p20 Pro for the camera, reliability and price

• Advertisement

Got my XS max 256 today. Fine piece of kit.

Just a follow up to this. Two new iPhones in the house the past few weeks.

The XR first. It's a fantastic device. Amazing power and performance, face ID, wireless charging, IP67, great battery. This absolute nonsense about the screen really went too far. It is incredibly difficult to tell the difference between this and the XS max. If you are looking at a lot of blacks perhaps, but the XR screen is really great. It got out of control all the talking, and mainly by people who never saw the phone or get their kicks criticising apple. There are some good contract offers with it at the moment and I would recommend it strongly. Give it a chance in person.

The XS max, 10/10. Love it. Face ID is amazing, the speed of the phone and the seamless use is brilliant. I had my first android for a few months before this. Not a patch on the iPhone. I know people say it's personal preference etc and my SGS 9+ was a good phone, but this is just better. The Samsung was still far buggier than I thought it would be, the iPhone is just better. The issue is the price. They have gone too far. I paid €1449 for it and while I am lucky to be able to do it, it's gone past the point of being good value. For all the faults of the Samsung S9+ it can be got for €600 new now in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just a follow up to this. Two new iPhones in the house the past few weeks.

The XR first. It's a fantastic device. Amazing power and performance, face ID, wireless charging, IP67, great battery. This absolute nonsense about the screen really went too far. It is incredibly difficult to tell the difference between this and the XS max. If you are looking at a lot of blacks perhaps, but the XR screen is really great. It got out of control all the talking, and mainly by people who never saw the phone or get their kicks criticising apple. There are some good contract offers with it at the moment and I would recommend it strongly. Give it a chance in person.

The XS max, 10/10. Love it. Face ID is amazing, the speed of the phone and the seamless use is brilliant. I had my first android for a few months before this. Not a patch on the iPhone. I know people say it's personal preference etc and my SGS 9+ was a good phone, but this is just better. The Samsung was still far buggier than I thought it would be, the iPhone is just better. The issue is the price. They have gone too far. I paid €1449 for it and while I am lucky to be able to do it, it's gone past the point of being good value. For all the faults of the Samsung S9+ it can be got for €600 new now in places.

I have a Note 9 alongside my max and tend to use the max more ;)

To be fair you can tell a fair difference between the Xr and Max display it just pops more. A friend sent me full res photo's and video via iMessage. Also i got her to send them to a family members XR. The crisp pin sharpness of the photo's and video was quite a winner for me on the Max. Much more detail. Also looking at high quality content on the net is noticable along with 1080p60fps HDR video's. You won't notice much difference just browsing through the UI, text messages etc etc.

Yeah, still a good screen though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

OSI wrote: »
    Anyone seen a decent protection film/tempered glass for the rear panel?

A dbrand one? https://dbrand.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

Nice ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Are these any use in reducing the risk of cracking the back glass if dropped?

quarryman wrote: »
    Are these any use in reducing the risk of cracking the back glass if dropped?

No use at all, it'll stop small scratches which would help resale value. Otterbox or similar is really the only thing that's going to save it but takes drastically from the look. Maybe get insurance, blue are 7.99pm depending on the model.

It's all on how it lands, i'd be worried about anything with a a glass back, my new phone has a glass back but I decided to get a case for it just in case. Have to hand it to amazon, ordered it from the USA monday night and it's going to be delivered today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No use at all, it'll stop small scratches which would help resale value. Otterbox or similar is really the only thing that's going to save it but takes drastically from the look. Maybe get insurance, blue are 7.99pm depending on the model.

More like €12.30 a month for an iPhone XS when Loss Protection is added.

Also, it seems the phone has to less than 12 months old. Does that mean you can only insure it for one year?

Advertisement