Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have been using the Spigen Neo Hybrid covers for the last few years on phones with glass backs and haven't managed to break one yet.

The skins from D Brand are great for covering up a break though in the case you don't have insurance to replace it, saves cutting the hand off yourself every time you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No you can keep it insured once it's insured, it just means it needs to be new enough and your not insuring some old crock. Could be cheaper insurance out there.
    Just double check that with the iphone as it's the only phone with a 12mt warranty as opposed to the 2yrs with every other brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/private-banking/ufirst-private-account.html

I have been a customer for a few years and it works out cheaper through Ulster Bank.

I am paying €10 a month as I am on a legacy plan but, for €14 a month it includes accidental loss and theft and all the other benefits such as 25% back on ticketmaster and other events overdraft of €1000 and free travel worldwide travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Thinking of getting an iPhone as a change to android which I've had for the past number of years. Wondering what people recommendations would be with regards to which one to choose between the iPhone X, XR and XS.

I havent had an iphone since the iPhone 5 so looking to go back to try them out. Heard they are more reliable than android in general. What are the batteries like on the devices, Im lucky to get even half a day out of my S7 at the min.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Decent battery in the s7 it's probably just near the end of it's life. I'd be looking for a phone with a 4,000mAh battery. I left iphone due to battery life couldn't cope with the anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

deco72 wrote: »
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    They're all great phones.

Handsize and budget would the main determinants in choosing what model is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Decent battery in the s7 it's probably just near the end of it's life. I'd be looking for a phone with a 4,000mAh battery. I left iphone due to battery life couldn't cope with the anxiety.
    Mustn’t have tried the new iPhones so, yesterday I had 6h 38m screen time on my iPhone X, put it on charge around 9 with 13% left. Battery optimization in iOS is great IMO, it’s not always about how many mAh a battery has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

flexcon wrote: »
    https://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/private-banking/ufirst-private-account.html

I have been a customer for a few years and it works out cheaper through Ulster Bank.

I am paying €10 a month as I am on a legacy plan but, for €14 a month it includes accidental loss and theft and all the other benefits such as 25% back on ticketmaster and other events overdraft of €1000 and free travel worldwide travel insurance.
    On same plan ... bargain! I get more back in ticketmaster than I pay for the account!

Shn99 wrote: »
    Mustn’t have tried the new iPhones so, yesterday I had 6h 38m screen time on my iPhone X, put it on charge around 9 with 13% left. Battery optimization in iOS is great IMO, it’s not always about how many mAh a battery has

Not even getting into it in an apple thread but there rookie numbers.

Not even getting into it in an apple thread but there rookie numbers.
    I really dont see why people would need a 2 day battery tbh.
    Heres a battery drain test for you,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06HoSJdDjo&t=403s

• Advertisement

2 day, still rookie numbers. Honestly not getting into it here or I'll be lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

2 day, still rookie numbers. Honestly not getting into it here or I'll be lynched.

Nobody wants you to... My XS max absolutely kills the S9+ i had before it. Couldn't be happier.

Nobody wants you to...

Exactly, nobody open to discussion, one giant eco chamber.

Why follow this thread so if you seem to have such a dislike for apple? Also, May I ask, what phone do you use..just out of curoisity

Shn99 wrote: »
    Why follow this thread so if you seem to have such a dislike for apple?

I've no dislike for apple, have plenty of their products which I swear by.

Exactly, nobody open to discussion, one giant eco chamber.

Not at all. Simply happy with the battery life of the XS max. Feel free to make any point you like. I moved to android for the first time ever for my previous device because the battery longevity of my last two iPhones was very disappointing and the 7Plus felt very dated compared to the SGS 9+. Only lasted a few months. Not because I'm in any echo chamber but because I simply find the iPhone a great phone. At the same time I find the price disgusting and really think Apple are in danger of shooting themselves in the foot.

You're the one who started with the silly "rookie numbers" stuff without explaining at all what you meant.

The XS Max is a good few hrs shy of the current competitions battery life. So I don't get moving to iPhone for better battery especially when it's just shy of €1300 for the entry level model. Mate 20 pro is a long way ahead of it for battery but that phone has its own problems.
    I'll get a few days out of my own if I wind back the screen to the iPhones 60hz, knock off the chromo logo etc.
    Said it before give me a 120hz screen in an iPhone and a battery to get me through the weekend and I'll consider jumping back. Stuck now in the gamer phone Sphere as used to the speed at which I can use the phone day to day, nothing to do with gaming. Only the Rog and Razer to choose from. Hopefully it trickles down to other phones but have my doubts as OLED can't don't 120hz, Rog can do 90hz which is good enough. 60hz is just to much of a step back, frustrating to use I've tried.

The XS Max is a good few hrs shy of the current competitions battery life. So I don't get moving to iPhone for better battery especially when it's just shy of €1300 for the entry level model. Mate 20 pro is a long way ahead of it for battery but that phone has its own problems.
    I'll get a few days out of my own if I wind back the screen to the iPhones 60hz, knock off the chromo logo etc.
    Said it before give me a 120hz screen in an iPhone and a battery to get me through the weekend and I'll consider jumping back. Stuck now in the gamer phone Sphere as used to the speed at which I can use the phone day to day, nothing to do with gaming. Only the Rog and Razer to choose from. Hopefully it trickles down to other phones but have my doubts as OLED can't don't 120hz, Rog can do 90hz which is good enough. 60hz is just to much of a step back, frustrating to use I've tried.

Considered the Mate 20 Pro strongly, but I just preferred the user experience of iOS. I want speed and no bugs and Android on the SGS 9+ surprised me with silly bugs. Google photos crashed persistently, and 25% of the time taking a photo required 2 presses. AIB mobile took 2 fingerprints to log in 75% of the time.... silly things like that.

The Note 9 and Mate 20 Pro have an edge on the XS max from a battery POV, but I used my XS max all day today at work and it was 79% leaving with a screen on time of 2 hours 49 mins, I understand that's completely unscientific but for me coupled with the user experience it's a happy medium. Luckily the cost difference isn't a major consideration for me. The SGS 9+ would be around 50% given similar usage. I don't need 2 days I just need 1 comfortable day.

I'd pick the iPhone over the mate pro and Samsung as well, I don't like the software on the Samsung much prefer stock android. iOS is flawless as well, using the razer2 now had the razer1 and it never skipped a beat but I was seriously impressed with the battery, screen and sound and I always got nice complements like jazus that's some brick.
    If the 120hz wasn't a must have now i'd he picking the iPhone or Sony XZ3 that screen is serious impressive and Sony's cameras are always pretty good if your used to iPhone quality camera.
    I'd be in the anti notch brigade, what ever about the notch some of the renders of the galaxy s10 have a hole in the screen for the front camera, looks redicolous.

Razer 2 is cool. Not many people will have it either.

We are in an era now where really almost all the mid range to flagship phones are outstanding sandwiches of glass with vastly overspec'd processors for what we need. Be interesting to see the next jump. Hard to envisage it at the moment.

• Advertisement

I thought 9 years ago we were a few years off this being normal. To me it was a logical evolution of the smartphone. The device makers have pulled a fast one making us believe we still need all these devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have the max and the Note 9. The battery on my max is lasting practically as long as the Note 9 4000mh battery despite the max being around 3100mh:eek: It's not just about battery numbers. The 7nm chip is more effiecent than the 10nm on the Note 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Can't we ban this clown from the apple forum. He's nothing but a complete muppet who just derails the forum.

quarryman wrote: »
    Are these any use in reducing the risk of cracking the back glass if dropped?

Just spotted this, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1357652086/berashield-total-protection-system-for-smartphone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Blazer wrote: »
    Can't we ban this clown from the apple forum. He's nothing but a complete muppet who just derails the forum.
    That’s a bit harsh, in all fairness somebody did ask for opinions on an iPhone versus and Android phone.

Everybody is going to be subjective when making these comparisons. I have seen the iPad screen and it is impressive, it would probably be hard to go to anything less after using the 120Hz refresh. But for me, the design, smaller bezels and cameras are all better things to have on the iPhone. It’s all down to personal preferences.

I don’t think there’s one “best phone” to get right now. No one phone is the best for anything right now, they all have one feature over the other so it’s which one of those is most important for you. So if I wanted the best camera on a phone I’d probably go with the new Pixel for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DubDJ wrote: »
    That’s a bit harsh, in all fairness somebody did ask for opinions on an iPhone versus and Android phone.

Everybody is going to be subjective when making these comparisons. I have seen the iPad screen and it is impressive, it would probably be hard to go to anything less after using the 120Hz refresh. But for me, the design, smaller bezels and cameras are all better things to have on the iPhone. It’s all down to personal preferences.

I don’t think there’s one “best phone” to get right now. No one phone is the best for anything right now, they all have one feature over the other so it’s which one of those is most important for you. So if I wanted the best camera on a phone I’d probably go with the new Pixel for example.

Look back over the last 30-40 pages and this guy has been constantly at it.
    I'm pretty sure if I kept that up in the android forum I would be banned from it but that probably is because their tiny little minds couldn't handle the truth and they're the real sheep.

Blazer wrote: »
    Look back over the last 30-40 pages and this guy has been constantly at it.
    I'm pretty sure if I kept that up in the android forum I would be banned from it but that probably is because their tiny little minds couldn't handle the truth and they're the real sheep.

You've no right to be insulting anyone and it was completely uncalled for yesterday. Awful pity there's not a mod willing to uphold the charter and put you back in your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Keep it civil, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How do you reckon an entry level iPhone is €1300?

Dearest phone is XS Max at €1279 for base model.

Entry level now would be the 7 and that's €539.

Newer Xr is €879.

So why don't you stick to facts?

All this stuff you talk about, 120hz etc is stuff most people don't care about or notice on a phone.

I can get 2 days out of my 8 plus but it's easy to charge at work or whilst sleeping.

So no need to get a phone that lasts all weekend, which is probably not true as you say anyway.

People buy phones for different reasons than battery and screen, reasons vary from software, to colours, to form factor, to compatibility with other devices.
    Most people don't worry about specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

My favorite realization over the past few months is this

People calling others iSheep is quite Ironic.

The fact that iSheep was created by some individual ages ago and caught on as every day slagging is great. But, then using that term to define an iPhone user, one is literally acting as sheep themselves, following the herd by using this now common term.

Anyway. Back to the thread.

Advertisement